Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the European ( French) version has a 'basic' start/stop button as standard, they sell an optional keyless entry, but not sure whether the standard is just a START button (instead of turn-key).

Also, would have liked an S-Tronic gear box. They have said that it will be available later this year, but my experience in the past is that they'll load up the orders with the manual shift, once they produce those and distribute those, it'll be not before end of 2008 (18 months after official initial delivery date of June 2007) that they will possibly startdelivering with the auto/S-Tronic gearbox on the S. That's how they did things with the S4......

Quite disappointed by the fact that for the french market, standard upholstery is Leather/suede (alcantara) mix, and that full leather is a $700 add-on....

Another minor issue is that the car is homologated for 4 passengers only, there are only 2 seatbelts in back.

I hope and am confident it will be worth the extra bucks......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

do You have more infos yet about this start button thing ? Is it standard equipment or only in combination with the keyless entry ?

Thanks,

Greetings from Luxembourg

·
Registered
695 Posts
my understaning, could be wrong, is that there are two systems.
a) keep key in pocket, push start button, drive off
b) put key in key slot, push start button, drive off

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been told today that the start button is only installed if you buy keyless entry. If you dont, then you dont get the button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been told today that the start button is only installed if you buy keyless entry. If you dont, then you dont get the button.
I am sure that wrx is right. The model I saw in the show room had a slot in the dashboard for the key and a start button. The Advanced Key, as they call it in the brochure, "allows the driver to keep the key in their bag or pocket at all times"

All the pictures I have seen show the start button. Including the ones with the key sticking out of the dash board.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have seen a slot in the dash plus the start stop button on the left hooker in the showroom at my local dealer. my understanding is that you will push the key through the 'flaps' (bit like a merc) and then push the S/Stop button.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have seen a slot in the dash plus the start stop button on the left hooker in the showroom at my local dealer. my understanding is that you will push the key through the 'flaps' (bit like a merc) and then push the S/Stop button.
you dont have to put the key in the slot, you only put it in for charging and programming. weird key tho, it's quite large, not comfy in pocket with smokes lighter phone pod and gun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am sure that wrx is right. The model I saw in the show room had a slot in the dashboard for the key and a start button. The Advanced Key, as they call it in the brochure, "allows the driver to keep the key in their bag or pocket at all times"

All the pictures I have seen show the start button. Including the ones with the key sticking out of the dash board.
I was only quoting what I was told, but none of the above disproves the theory. When publicity photos are being taken then the key is bound to be in the slot so that the dash lights etc., are illuminated. Also, whilst the advanced key 'allows' the driver to keep the key in their pocket, it is also possible to use it in the normal fashion. Having now seen a real vehicle and sat in it with advanced key I can confirm that the key slot is still there even with advanced key and the button.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can confirm that the start stop button is only in conjunction with keyless option. I did not order this and i have a volume control knob instead!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can confirm that the start stop button is only in conjunction with keyless option. I did not order this and i have a volume control knob instead!

UK model has start button on with or without keyless. At least the demo car I drove had start button and that was not keyless.

There appears to be a difference in options across the continent in a few areas and this may just be another one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My S5 is Russian spec and I have the Keyless Go. There are 2 ways I can start the car:

1. Put the key into the slot and push it
2. Keep the key in my pocket and press the Start button

I can't use the Start button if the key is in the slot - it doesn't work this way...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ahh, now that is interesting.

The dealer showing me the car obviously misinformed me. He told me the demo car was not keyless. He told me to put the fob in the slot and when we did that we had to press the key in to get it to start as the start button didnt. He also used the fob to unlock/lock the doors.

This sounds more like him not knowing how the keyless system worked and giving me the impression that I was testing the normal key system.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My S5 is Russian spec and I have the Keyless Go. There are 2 ways I can start the car:

1. Put the key into the slot and push it
2. Keep the key in my pocket and press the Start button

I can't use the Start button if the key is in the slot - it doesn't work this way...
S5_050 is correct IF you take the Advanced Key option.
If you don't take the option then you do NOT get the START button in the console.
Then starting is conventional apart from pushing the key into the slot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts