Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know the EPC light is a well discussed topic so many thanks for taking the time to read this thread type once more and for any help offered. I have searched through this and various other forums but still a little stumped.

I have a 2009 A5 Coupé, 3.2 litre V6. Its pretty high mileage but serviced only 9 months ago with new plugs, filters etc and until recently was running beautifully. I'm based in UAE so high ambient temperatures aren't always a benefit to the vehicle as sometimes it can sit out under the hot sun for many hours a day.

My issue began a few months ago with a very very small anomaly in the idle, it was the smallest lump in an otherwise silky smooth engine. (Garages locally can be pretty awful so I'm trying my best to avoid them). The issue developed into the car occasionally going into limp mode, which reset on starting. This happened more and more frequently so I used an OBD reader which came up with a variety of codes that can change from day to day.

I've attached a screen shot of the codes below but incase anyone can't see the image it shows...

Cylinder 6 - Contribution/Balance
Cylinder 2 - Contribution/Balance
Cylinder 2 - Contribution/Balance
Cylinder 5 - Misfire
Hide Cylinder
Cylinder 4 - Contribution/Balance
Manifold Abs Pres Sens (implausible Sensor)
MAP/MAF - Throttle Position

So quite a few items on the list and the cylinders with issues aren't constant.

Things I've done...
- I replaced the MAP sensor but no change.

- All the spark plugs are useable, a couple were a little darker than others but not significantly.

- I've listened to the injectors and they are clicking but I haven't had them out to check the spray pattern etc.

- I had a split in the rocker cover breather plastic piping so repaired that and will replace with new.

- I priced up a throttle body as the sensor is an integral part so may get one from a breaker if anyone thinks this is vital.

With the high mileage and my current situation, I'm trying to keep the cost of repair to a minimum (hence avoiding the garage fees)

I'd be super grateful if any of you kind folk could point me in the right direction as to what you'd consider checking or replacing first.

Thanks,

Mark

Product Font Screenshot Technology Communication Device

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would be good to have some of the OBDii P codes ie P######.

Possible the throttle body position sensor (electronics on the throttlebody) could be issue, these are bosch fly by wire design, this will cause fueling issues, map sensor issues and as a result cylinder misfires since the fuel to air mix will be all over the place. The combination of errors will trigger limp mode and epc light.

Had similar issue on my B8 Rs5 when I first got it

2 x new throttle bodies
New battery
1 x map sensor
2 x cam sensors

Finally sorted now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi heylinTTnz,

Thanks for your reply and useful comments, much appreciated. It makes sense, I was hoping it wouldn't be the throttle body as I believe it's a replacement unit in its entirety, is that correct or is it possible just remove and replace the sensor?

Many thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ps. Yeh... I should have thought to write down the P codes as well. I'm back in the UK now and trying to sort out some parts before returning to the vehicle 👍

The fly by wire throttle tracks inside the control unit can be inspected and cleaned by removing the metal tabs on back, you might also be able to determine a Bosch part number on back as well. My rs5 units were about $900US each, and I had to replace 2

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts