Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant seem to find answer to my question which I am surprised at

Question -does anyone know how much I should expect to pay to replace 2008 2.0 tfsi engine in UK & recommend anyone.

Problem - engine konked out. Wont fire. Towed to garage and advised it's got no compression and boroscope shows x1 valve has blown. Needs to be opened up to determine extent of damage but mechanic says on previous experience it's a new engine. So he is stripping to inspect and will give me worst case cost for me to decide on what to do (repair v scrap).

History- I've owned car 10 years. 88k FSH, Audi derby rebuild engine in 2016 for oil consumption issue at 71k also replaced a/c unit, DMFW flywheel & clutch. Up until the engine stopped the engine has been trouble free & smooth.

Trying to establish cost/best place to repair & replace. Any info welcome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Until you remove the head you won’t know exactly what damage is done, in my experience most of the damage is to the top end ie valves, cams etc. As your engine has had a bottom end rebuild you may just get away with another cylinder head assy IMHO.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a mechanic and not overly familiar with engine architecture but I am clinging onto the hope that the damage isn't as extensive as engine rebuild/replacement. The mechanic says same that until he opens up he can't tell what damage has been done with the blown valve and metal rattling around. If its worst case then the car wont be worth a great deal so I will need to decide on sell as Spare/repair or pay to fix.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Blimey, at such low miles and with FSH I am amazed cos I always thought that VW Group cars were very strong mechanically. My old 3200 clocked up 200k kms without mechanical issues and my S4 is now at 190k and going well. Is this a problem engine cos of the famous oil consumption issues maybe.....
In terms of a replacement engine, have a look at Copart cos they are massive in UK, Europe and USA and you may well find an engine there, or try Japanese companies like beforward.jp, they also sell good stuff and of course you have to wait a bit but they are very very reliable and precise. Good luck!!! Ps while you are at it why not replace with a bigger engine perhaps.....

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Or even a different engine. How about the Golf and Passat 2.0 turbo for instance, goes like a scalded cat and light too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tfsi engines are small units putting out a lot of power - basically meaning they are highly stressed (highly strung is how I explain it) guess consequently they can be fragile I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are a few golf R,s running 600bhp without too much trouble but the R engine does run different internals to the standard TFSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well garage tells me it's got a hole in piston crown no4. Discarded metal fragments will have been thrown into engine. Work to strip top end will be 4/500 to diagnose. Best case its top end rebuild in region of £1500 worst case £3500 (he has been quoted £3000 just for an engine). Told him not to proceed on that basis. Looks like I'm looking for a new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yip that where my head is at the moment I think. I'm basically looking at upwards of £1500 (risk is could end up more) on a car that I would only sell private for what 3k or just over in running order. Can get £1500 for it as is and not bother with the risk.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Blimey Steve sorry to hear that mate so best of luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Leave it as it is. Dont open it up etc... Put it up on ebay and you should get £2k for it as someone will be happy to do the work themselves or find a cheap engine to drop in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts