Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Took my car in for a knocking in the engine...Same as another member on this board. The dealership is also replacing my engine.

Is this happening to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just curious... who is the other member?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sadly to say it was me....

This is the third car i have heard of over here with an engine swap.

I mean i love the car, but jeez a new engine already....doesn't leave me with a good taste in my mouth you know

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Were these all US 3.2V6 motors? Not clear from the posting folks.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Cheers, bit of a tired old lump really, I presume Audi will be ditching it soon as they are/have in the A6 in the UK. I would have preferred petrol to my diseasel from choice but hate the 3.2 and the S5 is just too risky for a private buyer like me so went for 3.0Tdi Q . 240bhp 500NM Torque. Cracking motor and it doesn'ty sound like a diesel but I sure do miss the V8 or even V6 engine/exhaust noise.
RG

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Engine??

Ahhh Or Should I Say Ugggh!
My 09 A5 2 Weeks Old With 2,000 Miles (i Live In S.florida But Purchased And Drove It Home From New York-saved About $4,000) Drove Flawless And Quiet And Fast The Whole Way. This Week I Noticed A Tapping Which Seems To Be Getting Louder And Seems To Sound More And More Like A ""knocking"".. I Planned On Taking Her In Next Week, But After Reading This She Will Go In Tomorrow. That's A Sick Thought For A Brand New Car Of This Caliber. My 2008 Cayenne S Has Over 20,000 Miles And I Have Replaced The Oil Once As Recommended By Porsche. Porsche May Need To Devote Some Of Their Improvements To Audi. Will Let You Know The Results. I Wonder, Even Though It Should Have No Bearing, If The Break In Period Has Anything To Do With This.
Jeff

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah Jeff be sure to do this.

I just went casually to a dealer by work, just to get this "noise" checked out didn't really expect anything big.

Since i wasn't at my "home" dealer the manager had no problem doing the work there, just thought i would be more comfortable at my home dealer.

Contacted them, and they sent out a flat bed to pick up the car. Driving the car under those conditions could damage other parts, i was told by the dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ouch - Does this seem to be a US engine 3.2 V6 based pattern. I have the same, but doubt it is a US engine (too expensive to be shipping from the US to the Middle East), so is likely a Europe production.
Were the dealers straight up with the problem -I assume this is a long process surgery wise ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh - so the US 3.2 V6 is just a spec. I hope the engine replacements are relatively isolated incidents - Any statistics on this ( I am sure Audi wouldnt publish them) but just wondering what forum members have discussed

·
Registered
442 Posts
There's another Spanish A5 3.2FSI that had the same problem some months ago...

They replaced the engine without any problem under warranty, so it seems to be a known problem with some of those engines...

It looks as well that once replaced the engine, the new one has never problems again...
So, you are quite lucky to have had this problem under warranty period, because imagine it happening just after warranty period finishes...

·
Registered
528 Posts
In my case the mechanic was in touch with the big wigs at Audi Canada to see what to do.

And they simply advised replace the engine. It wasn't as bad as expected was in the shop for like 5 days.

Drove an old body A4 man that car is small

·
Registered
54 Posts
Car Is In-i'm In An 09 A4 While They Diagnose. They Plan On Letting Me Know Today What The Story Is. They Believe Something Is Loose Underneath. I Waited While They Put Him Up On The Lift To Make Sure They Don't Tell Me I Hit Something (because I Did Not). They Found Nothing. They Have Not Heard Of "any" Engine Replacements To Date. I Informed Them To Stop Talking Like A Dumb Used Car Salesman. I Am Aware Of The Isolated Issues Which You Don't Want To Fess Up To. Bottomline "fix My Damn Car". I Feel Like I Just Bit Into A Sour Apple.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Remember, stuff like this happens to all kinds of cars. I had the motor replaced in my Expedition last year with only 15,000 miles on it. The 5.4 Triton V8 is a very stout motor and even the dealer was suprised about it.

Also, the Internet tends to make the world a smaller place, so if something happens to a car in India, then some one in California is able to hear about it and says "gee, this is happening all over". I would be curious to see how many engines have been replaced vs. the number of 3.2 A5's produced worldwide.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shane-

Just Ended The Lease On My 06 Expedition Limited. Flawless Engine For 36,000 Miles. Car Saw The Dealer For 2 Oil Changes And 1 New Computer For The Transmission (a Very Common Problem For Fords) Warranty. My Business Has 4 For Explorers (all 2002's) And All Of Them Have Had The Sametransmission Issues. Other Then That They Have Been Perfect 6 Cylinder Cars. They Have Between 80 To 120,000 Miles On Them.
And Yes Am Aware That These Things Happen But As I Said Previously (a Battery, A Starter, An Alternator Or An Adjustment) But An Engine On A Car Like This?? I Guess S--t Happens

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey Jeff,

If it is the same issue as "some" cars had, and the dealer doesn't seem to help.

Sometimes it might help going over there head. Call Audi North America, tell them what is wrong. Or have this "problem" looked at, by another dealer.

If indeed it is the same issue, the other dealer will pick up on this real fast, well at least the first one i went to did.

Need any help let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Called Audi Before Heading To Dealership.
My Reasoning For This Was Two Fold.
1)i Didn't Buy The Car From This Dealer In Florida Because They Were Charging Stupid #$'s For The Car And They Would Not Bend So They May Want To Jerk Me Around In Service.

2)told Audi Of North America To """see #1"" (didn't Buy Th-----)
Also Let Them Know I Have One Of There Parent Cars In My Cayenne S (which They Really Didn;t Care About)

Bottomline We'll See Later-they Claim They Will Be In Touch With The Dealer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still waiting for my engine to come in. Jeff sounds like you are going to be getting a new engine as well...Lucky for you they ship out of Florida so your wait will be short...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.