Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have been driving my car for exactly 6 months now with 10,000km / 6,000 miles on the clock. I had a low engine oil warning on my dash board this morning, telling me that it's at minimum level. Is this normal or would it be related to the clicking sound from the engine (requirng engine replacement) that someone else mentioned on the A5 board? I have had that clicking sound in low RPM/idle, and the dealer has been waiting for the parts to arrive since the start of Feb....

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I needed a first top up around 2500 miles. It is normal for them to drink oil in the first 10k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've gone about 4000 miles and the oil level is near the minimum. When I had about 350 miles, the oil light came on saying the level was too high and that I had to drain it. I also have a light clicking noise from the engine at idle, not sure if this is normal.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I also have a light clicking noise from the engine at idle, not sure if this is normal.
Yes, it's normal. It's coming from the FSI pump. My previous A5 made that clicking noise at idle and so does my S5. I wish it didn't, though... I hate it. See below posts from another thread.

For what its worht, the FSI technology Audi uses does sound a bit like diesel when on idle or when cold, so some level of noise is normal...

I'm not saying this is related to the thread, but just that with FSI there is a pump that makes noise but on other hand increases MPG... tradeoffs!
Three months ago it probably wasn't as cold as it is now. FSI sounds worse when cold. (The technical explanation being it's the solenoids for the high pressure fuel rails.)

Go check any FSI car especially with a cold engine and it will tick when on idle. It will tick when warm too, it just makes a nastier noise when cold. And it will sound quite brutal when cold and accelerating - again, something that will sound less brutal when warm but never as good as a similar engine without FSI.

Some tick IS normal. People will start hearing things based on these reports too, I'm sure, because now everyone is listening to their engines more careful than before...

However, obviously if these reports are to be trusted, some engines have gone beyond that and started sounding really bad.

Personally I wouldn't trust every report we hear, these things tend to blow out of proportion too, but it is also possible of course that a bad batch of engines is out there. Theoretically it could be all engines, but it could be just a few...

I didn't hear JEFF_S respond why he was worried about resale value though when he reported his car as a lease?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trust me go and check yo engine at Audis garage they told me same thing and then few months later they are replacing engine and mine did sound like diesel some times and some times you couldn't even hear it, but noise was even louder when engine was warm! And if they send you home go back after few months and this time complain even more and tell them about this site and say to them that few people had to replace they engine for that reason and you are more than welcome to give them my details!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.