1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
S5 2010 cab
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 S5 V6

Hi all,

I have had my car for about 12 months now and always noticed that the engine always seems hotter than any other car I’ve owned in the past. It’s not overheating and the temp gauge happily sits at 90 but you can smell and feel the heat from the engine bay.

Never owning a supercharged car before or even a car with an engine this big, is this normal?
No burning smells and had the water pump changed due to the dreaded coolant leak issue.
Hopefully it’s just the norm…
Thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Are you referring to the actual measured temperature of the engine or the heat from the engine bay? Compressing air makes it hot and the body of the supercharger is a heatsink - so you will get a fair amount of heat radiated from it.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
S5 2010 cab
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you referring to the actual measured temperature of the engine or the heat from the engine bay? Compressing air makes it hot and the body of the supercharger is a heatsink - so you will get a fair amount of heat radiated from it.
I should have been clearer sorry, the gauge reads fine it was more the heat from the bay itself when you stand outside the car so you may have explained it for me.
Just checking it’s not something I need to worry about

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Ello Dan!! I honestly think that you don't need to be concerned, cos you are driving a car with ALOT of power so of course she produces loads of heat compared to a "normal" 2 litre 4 cylinder for instance. As long as the temp guage shows normal then all is well, now you have some summer warmth so of course the engine heat takes longer to dissapate than it does in the winter. Try to avoid heavy traffic of course.

Reactions: S5Momma

·
Registered
S5 2010 cab
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ello Dan!! I honestly think that you don't need to be concerned, cos you are driving a car with ALOT of power so of course she produces loads of heat compared to a "normal" 2 litre 4 cylinder for instance. As long as the temp guage shows normal then all is well, now you have some summer warmth so of course the engine heat takes longer to dissapate than it does in the winter. Try to avoid heavy traffic of course.
Simon,
Thank you it’s good to hear it’s expected and not a potential massive bill!
I appreciate your reply thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts