Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Very new to this forum, but I found this very useful for info when buying my A5, which is a year and a half old.

When I got home last night and shut the door, the car started to roll back into the street off my drive. I managed to jump in and stop before hitting neighbours garden/house.
I though I must have not applied the brake somehow, so I parked up again and checked.
Half an hour later, I heard a bang and car alarm. You know where this is going!
Looked out to find my car in neighbours garden. Lucky their was a wheely bin and a peice of wood on the ground that stopped the A5 hitting their house. Only minor scratches.
Audi road side asist came out this morning and could not find any problem with the electronics. And never heard of this problem before.

Has anyone else experianced this? As I don't think I can trust the braking system now!

Regards, Steff

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
a very unpleasant experience.
but the solution is very simple: put it in 1st gear, whenever you park !!!
and learn yourself to press the clutch before starting the engine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not a nice situation....

Niave question...now i always have parked my manual cars in gear for the reason 'incase handbrake gives' etc....now in the auto does P kind of do the same thing?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Good advice Nemo and Fred. Why wouldn't you? I always depress clutch AFTER leaving it in gear as years ago was told that this 'apparently' reduces the risk of wear on the gearbox.??

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't think it is possible. You turn the hand brake on, it means electrical engines in parking brakes turn till brake the car. You turn ignition off, key off, so no electricity to these engines, so impossible to turn hand brake off with no key in, try it ...

Are you sure you turn on hand brake and not audi hill hold?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not a nice situation....

Niave question...now i always have parked my manual cars in gear for the reason 'incase handbrake gives' etc....now in the auto does P kind of do the same thing?
Yep, in 'P' the transmission is locked

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Yup, should leave it in 1st gear to be sure. In a manual A5 (UK spec) you have to press the clutch pedal to start the engine anyway, so there's no risk of accidentally starting in gear.
The park brake release button doesn't work unless the engine is running and the brake pedal is depressed, so it would have to be a strange electrical fault to cause this. Could it be that the parking brake is not activating correctly in the first place?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yup, should leave it in 1st gear to be sure. In a manual A5 (UK spec) you have to press the clutch pedal to start the engine anyway, so there's no risk of accidentally starting in gear.
The park brake release button doesn't work unless the engine is running and the brake pedal is depressed, so it would have to be a strange electrical fault to cause this. Could it be that the parking brake is not activating correctly in the first place?
+1. Always leave it in 1st. I would have thought all A5's were the same. If you push the ignition key without the clutch then this it the equivalent of the first turn on a twist key lock (i.e. electrical power is applied to the car so windows, power points, lights (excluding Xenons) etc operate). Push the clutch and the key and the engine starts.

The best attitude I find with cars is to assume the worst and take precautions! :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's strange the way that these hand brakes operate. In a truck with air brakes, the air is used to release the brake.. When you press your foot on the brake or operate the hand brake, the air is release from the brake chambers causing the compressed spring to move the lever that pushes the brake shoes firmly against the drum.. When an air brake chamber fails - it fails safe and the brake on that wheel is applied.. This is why you sometimes see bits of tyres along the highway or long single skid marks.. For all the apparent trouble, the air brake systems ensure that the truck cannot be moved when there is no air in the system.

Cars do not operate this way.. When all the hydraulic fluid is gone you simply have no brakes and you probably will die at any speed over 40 km/hr unless there is a long empty slightly uphill road ahead of you..

Anyway, where I an going with this is that the Audi system should have a fail safe for the hand brake that works only when the car is parked.. That is - no power applies the hand brake and a good battery charge is needed to release the brake..

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
yr fail-safe hand-brake is your first gear.
or reverse gear, when parked up-hill.
it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
yr fail-safe hand-brake is your first gear.
or reverse gear, when parked up-hill.
it's as simple as that.
I am not sure that is entirely true.. If the hill is steep enough the car will still roll slowly in gear.. If the ignition was left on it could actually start the engine..

After all this is how you clutch start a car with a flat battery..

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I am not sure that is entirely true.. If the hill is steep enough the car will still roll slowly in gear.. If the ignition was left on it could actually start the engine..

After all this is how you clutch start a car with a flat battery..
well, if the hill is so steep, that the car might go through the engine-compression, you should turn yr front wheels against the curb.

by clutch start, you mean pushing the car and release the clutch in 3rd of 4th gear ??
you could still do this.
with such a push-start, you don't use the startermotor, and that's where the protection against accidental starting works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '09 S5 automatic and on occasion have experienced an engagement problem with the electronic park brake...I've found that unless you have the foot brake pressed down, engagement of the park brake can be "iffy". I always put the trans in PARK, as well. In your case...1st gear.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi All,
Very new to this forum, but I found this very useful for info when buying my A5, which is a year and a half old.

When I got home last night and shut the door, the car started to roll back into the street off my drive. I managed to jump in and stop before hitting neighbours garden/house.
I though I must have not applied the brake somehow, so I parked up again and checked.
Half an hour later, I heard a bang and car alarm. You know where this is going!
Looked out to find my car in neighbours garden. Lucky their was a wheely bin and a peice of wood on the ground that stopped the A5 hitting their house. Only minor scratches.
Audi road side asist came out this morning and could not find any problem with the electronics. And never heard of this problem before.

Has anyone else experianced this? As I don't think I can trust the braking system now!

Regards, Steff
Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem... but... did you know that as the brakes cool down the pressure on the pads drops. Audi model the cooling of the brakes in software and automaticaly send short commands to parking brake motors to keep the pressure held constant. The fact that your car rolls away half an hour later, suggests to me that something related to this automatic tightening might be not quite right.... well its just a guess. Definetely worth leaving the transmission in first gear! No doubt there is a measuring block somewhere in VCDS for parking brake parameters - dont expect too much diagnosis from your local dealer though...

·
Registered
381 Posts
[Are you sure you turn on hand brake and not audi hill hold?[/QUOTE]

Intersting...how do you turn one or the other?

·
Registered
352 Posts
well, if the hill is so steep, that the car might go through the engine-compression, you should turn yr front wheels against the curb.

by clutch start, you mean pushing the car and release the clutch in 3rd of 4th gear ??
you could still do this.
with such a push-start, you don't use the startermotor, and that's where the protection against accidental starting works.
If the car was on a very steep hill, it is more likely for it to skid downhill with the wheels still braked and locked still, simply sliding on the tyres leaving the rubber along the road...! Keeping in 1st gear when parked is as solid as you can make it.

Pushing the car and popping the clutch in 3rd or 4th as a "push start" works because of the trade-off between braking effect of the engine versus speed of the engine turning. If kept in 1st gear, it is highly unlikely to be able to push the car by hand, or rotate the wheels, the resistance would be too great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your replies.
As most of you have said, Audi could not find a fault with the electronic hand brake. I always put in first gear when on a steep hill, but will have to do this all the time now and get use to it.

Thanks again,
Steff

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
but the solution is very simple: put it in 1st gear, whenever you park !!!
and learn yourself to press the clutch before starting the engine.
I disagree; I would just remember to engage the parking brake.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts