Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I just had a bit of a scare in my A5... took it for a short drive to the shops, and about 1/2 mile from home I suddenly lost steering control. I hit the brakes, which were also unresponsive. The steering was really light - no feedback at all - and the brake pedal felt heavy.

Fortunately I wasn't going too fast, though I was negotiating a roundabout at the time and hit the verge on the exit before I got it to a stop. No obvious damage other than two of my otherwise pristine alloys.

After I restarted it, it didn't feel quite right initially, but then seemed to return to normal and I drove it home.

I'm guessing this might be an electrical fault of some kind? Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

I'm not planning on driving it anywhere until the garage have fully checked it out, and it was probably about due for a service anyway. It's still within warranty.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A scan with VCDS / VAG-COM should show something. Maybe someone near you may be able to help to scan .... what is your location?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a friend 2 minutes down the road with a cable, so I could check it out. I'll get in touch with the dealer first though as I really want it properly looked at under warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it shows a fault with the yaw sensor which may have briefly confused the ESP system. Annoyingly, and for reasons I'm not entirely following, this might mean I have to foot the bill, but that's and argument for another day...

In any event, it's gone off to the dealer for a proper check-up, just in case there's any suspension damage. :(

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
why is the yaw sensor your responsibility, is it not part of the original spec?

I would be looking to get the alloys sorted FOC as well. and drycleaning for the trousers...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links, etc.

The car is at the dealer at the moment, hopefully getting some TLC (I know, wishful thinking...)

The thread on an electrical failure due to water sitting in the plenum chamber is interesting. Having defrosted the windscreen before heading out, it's possible there was water sitting in there, sloshing about (if there was some kind of blockage, obviously - it should have easily drained under normal circumstances). It's maybe a bit tenuous because really it should be able to cope with that, but *something* caused a serious failure.

I'm sceptical that the yaw sensor is the problem - to me, it's more likely to have reported an error *after* the car stopped handling correctly, and possibly at the moment of collision with the kerb.

I'll have to see what they say once they've looked at the car, but I have a fear that I'm in for a lot of argument on this one - I'm not even sure they're investigating the failure at all yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update for anyone interested:

Dealer found minor damage from the kerb collision, beyond the cosmetic damage to the alloys. Parts swapped out and alignment done, should be good as new.

Asked them why it had happened, and they had no idea. Nothing in the log to indicate any failure before the impact. The yaw sensor report was at time of impact and not before.

I got them to do a proper service and then take it out for a drive. From the mileage, looks like they put about 50 miles on it. Again, they found nothing - it didn't misbehave at all, no errors. TBH I kind of expected that, but with them not knowing what to look for, I could only hope that it went wrong while they were in it...

So obviously I had to foot the bill for the repair and the servicing. It wasn't horrific, but I'm not happy about it, and that's not including the alloys, which I'll either have to refurb or replace later, again on my own dime.

Now...

The car was not set to tell me it needed servicing until much later this year - just after the warranty would run out and after it would need its first MOT. It's not had a proper service since new, and AFAIK would be due one at 2 years. The dealer set this after the 1st year oil change and basic inspection...

Fortunately I'd already made a mental note that it needed doing about now, but if I'd waited for the prompt, I suspect I'd be out of luck. No proper scheduled maintenance stamps in the log book = bad news IMHO. They even told me it didn't need it doing when I asked them explicitly to do it while it was in.

I note that after I insisted, and while the car was in the dealers having everything done, I actually got a text and email reminder that it was due... so clearly someone f**ked up.

When I got the car back, I had a look at the plenum chamber.

About 1-2cm of standing water in the driver side - drain completely clogged. No damage visible to anything, but I can certainly imagine that having defrosted the windscreen on the morning I had the problem, there would have been more water in there sloshing about as I went around the roundabout. To me it certainly seems plausible that this could have caused a problem.

I was under the impression that checking that was part of the normal service. They obviously didn't do it. This is doubly concerning when the reason the car was in was for an unexplained problem that could potentially have been caused by a failure in electronics which live in that chamber...

And finally, adding insult to injury, they didn't stamp the log book anyway (though I do have the paperwork to show that the service was carried out, and I'll be having them put the stamp in to confirm).

So I'm not impressed. I think some kind of complaint to Audi themselves is in order here, so if anyone has any pointers as to the best route to take with that, please let me know!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Sounds like pretty sloppy service to me. Sadly becoming all too frequent these days.

1) Write (email is fine) to the service manager at the dealer, stating the reasons for your dissatisfaction, and letting him know you intend to contact Audi UK CS.
2) Contact Audi UK CS telling them of your experience and dissatisfaction, and that you are reconsidering your relationship with Audi (even if you don't really mean it).

I've done that twice (with good reason) and got good compensation on both occasions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When normal service work, or any work, is performed by a dealer, that information is entered into Audi's computers. In fact, when it is being serviced Audi will also download additional data from your car.

You may want a stamp in your owner's book to be able to show a future buyer but everything that the dealer has ever done to that car is stored under it's VIN records at Audi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will have to see a failure of the battery current or some short circuit, it is very rare that something like that happens to that car, I recommend that you talk to the person who supplies me with Inverter chargers, he is electrical mechanical maybe he can give you a hand with your problem or in your case that manages to repair your situation I wish you good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts