Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Came home the other night from a trip down the shop.

Reversed on to the drive, got out and then......

the car starts rolling back towards the house, it felt like slow motion, tried stopping it but was to heavy. rolled into the flower pot and then into the garage.

Nothing wrong with the handbrake, I had not applied the handbrake, I suppose all those years of using a conventional handbrake routine.

Just a warning just in case anyone has a plonker moment like me....

Hope this made you chuckle, my wife did after I wiped my tears..

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Know what you mean. I have been having problems with mine recently when trying to reverse - on the odd occasion the parking brake does not automatically release - have to do it manually.

Great car, great V8:)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Silly you, although I can see myself doing this, thankfully there arent many hills here in Norfolk lol. I've still not got used to which way you click the button, why didnt they make it a single on/off button.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Silly you, although I can see myself doing this, thankfully there arent many hills here in Norfolk lol. I've still not got used to which way you click the button, why didnt they make it a single on/off button.
Because there would be too many accidental engagements and disengagements.

They purposely made it counter-intuitive to limit the number of flower pot moments...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was under the impression you couldn't remove the key from the ignition unless the parking brake was applied???

EDIT

I'm wrong - tried it yesterday and the car happily started rolling towards the garage. I usually have hold assist switched on which is why I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I've done the same thing 3 times including twice this week. :eek:

The first time a couple of months ago, the car rolled into my garage door and the handle put a small scratch in the grill :( could have been a lot worse.

This week was once again on my drive but managed to stop it time and then at a pub - just as Mrs REB was climbing out. :eek:

I now make a concious effort to ensure it's on before getting out - just as one should of course.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I always check and double check before leaving the car. However, for years I've always made a habbit of selecting first gear when I park, incase the hand brake fails. If you forget to put your handbrake on, your a5/s5 will remain stationary if it's in gear... Its a good habit worth having!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds Like another VAG-COM experiment

All we need to do is to activate the door or seat belt chime when the Engine is OFF AND the door is open AND the hand brake signal is OFF.

I always leave my car in gear, but I have heard many times of manual transmission cars rolling away here in the USA because most people have auto's which have to be in park before the driver can take the key out, and so they just forget to apply the brake - happened to my new S4 at the dealer's with just 500 miles on it - bent the plate, damaged the air temp sensor - imagined how I nearly strangled them.

On the S5, its strange that Audi did not make the parking brake function automatic, now its under elctrical control - ie. if you are not in the car and the engine is OFF what other reason would you want the handbrake to be OFF?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nothing to do with hand break failure--just a brain cramp and run-amok planters on my part. While exiting my garage, I decided I didn't want overspray from the sprinklers on the car so I turned the wheel sharply. Wouldn't you know it, a planter jumped in my way and scraped some paint off the front bumper--about 1 inch in diameter. Cost to get it "properly" fixed--$450.00!! An excellent job but if the car was a year old, I wouldn't have even bothered to fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been having problems with mine recently when trying to reverse - on the odd occasion the parking brake does not automatically release - have to do it manually.
I've had this quite often too - I can't figure out why. I thought it was something to do with the way applied it, but I can't see how!

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this handbrake is a nolvety and I can not see a reason why the traditional one was replaced.

Never did this in the past.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think this handbrake is a nolvety and I can not see a reason why the traditional one was replaced.

Never did this in the past.
Many new cars are going to the "electronic parking brake", I am sure it is part novelty, part design. Just like the "start button", it isn't required, but it sure is cool. :cool:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I always check and double check before leaving the car. However, for years I've always made a habbit of selecting first gear when I park, incase the hand brake fails. If you forget to put your handbrake on, your a5/s5 will remain stationary if it's in gear... Its a good habit worth having!!
I do the same thing...saved my ass one time with the car. On one occassion though I was in a hurry, quickly pulled the button to apply handbrake and got out the car, locked it...started waling away from it, but I have a habit of checking my own car out when its parked :eek: and I noticed it started rolling back (the one time in my life I never left my car in gear)...quickly jumped in and stamped on the brake pedal....now I triple check it is applied as if you do it a bit quick sometimes it doesn't apply.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Handbrake Use

I'm still waiting for my S5 allocation, but I'll chime in with 2 cents -

The only time I've ever used my hand brake is for parking on steep inclines and controlled slides and 180's while turning the wheel. That's why you're supposed to leave your car in gear while it's parked.

The electronic brake is actually one of the reasons I considered not getting the S5, as I might find some difficulty sliding around in empty parking lots, etc., using the handbrake.

Sam

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm still waiting for my S5 allocation, but I'll chime in with 2 cents -

The only time I've ever used my hand brake is for parking on steep inclines and controlled slides and 180's while turning the wheel. That's why you're supposed to leave your car in gear while it's parked.

The electronic brake is actually one of the reasons I considered not getting the S5, as I might find some difficulty sliding around in empty parking lots, etc., using the handbrake.

Sam

'
I never trust the bloody thing and always look for the light before even stopping the engine. But A little known fact...

...The one time I did 'miss' putting the hand brake on (just flicked it upwards, rather than held it up) at a petrol station I noticed it engange automatically about a minute later while I was filling up... Therefore, if your driveway is on a slope, it won't stop your car rolling down and smashing the plant pots, but at least after a minute or so, there's no danger of it rolling back up the drive on it's own and causing an accident!! ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
'
I never trust the bloody thing and always look for the light before even stopping the engine. But A little known fact...

...The one time I did 'miss' putting the hand brake on (just flicked it upwards, rather than held it up) at a petrol station I noticed it engange automatically about a minute later while I was filling up... Therefore, if your driveway is on a slope, it won't stop your car rolling down and smashing the plant pots, but at least after a minute or so, there's no danger of it rolling back up the drive on it's own and causing an accident!! ;)
They really should shorten the time to about 30 seconds, why a whole minute, that's ages to auto engage whe the key is pulled out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Many new cars are going to the "electronic parking brake", I am sure it is part novelty, part design. Just like the "start button", it isn't required, but it sure is cool. :cool:
The electric handbrake allows Audi to get the space for the MMI.

I thought it was a novelty too, but having had it now for 3 months, I love it and its pretty sophisicated too - the control unit models the temperature of the brake discs and tighentens up the clamping fiorce automatically while the car is parked on a hill - cool stuff.

The only downside in my opinion is that if you have a flat battery, you can't get towed on a flatbed, unless the recovery truck applies power so that you can unlock the brake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but does this discussion about rolling without the parking brake engaged apply only to manual transmissions, or should I be concerned with my Tip, too? I generally don't use my parking brake unless I'm parked on a fairly steep hill, but I'm getting the impression here that it can roll quite easily on a slight or no incline at all (although, again, it may only apply to a manual??).

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first new car

My first new car was 1999 VW Passat. A week after I got it, I ran in to see a client and apparently forgot to set the brake. I left the car running and in nuetral. When I came out I thought some one had stolen my car. Gone! Then I looked several hundred meters across the lot and it was pressed up against against the front end of a pickup truck with the bumper sitting on the ground.......oops! I think we've all been there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but does this discussion about rolling without the parking brake engaged apply only to manual transmissions, or should I be concerned with my Tip, too? I generally don't use my parking brake unless I'm parked on a fairly steep hill, but I'm getting the impression here that it can roll quite easily on a slight or no incline at all (although, again, it may only apply to a manual??).
I assume you move your gear shift to park (on my DSG equipped Audi you had to before it would let you take the keys out of the ignition). If you do that you should be OK on the level but the parking brake is there for a reason - I'd suggest you use it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.