Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a bothering engine light thrown on my A5 for insufficient flow in the EGR system. I have done the obvious replacement and cleans - Cleaned and later replaced the egr valve, replaced the exhaust/EGR pressure sensor, taken the upper and lower manifold off and cleaned all the built up carbon and oil deposits, swirl flaps are clean and operational, valve body the valve sat in was cleaned out + the temp sensor was also cleaned.
When the code is cleared it will come back on again either that day for the next two.
I've had my scan tool on and have found something interesting, when watching my live data on 'EGR Commanded' it seems to run at 58.5% at idle and deviates up and down in coordination with the accelerator. This would indicate the EGR valve is operational and the system is in working order.
But for some reason the valve position will read 0.00% at random. Nothing done differently, sometimes I catch it reading at 0.00% whilst working normally.
Car doesn't run rough at idle, no lack of power and also fuel consumption is low and normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, I've got a bothering engine light thrown on my A5 for insufficient flow in the EGR system. I have done the obvious replacement and cleans - Cleaned and later replaced the egr valve, replaced the exhaust/EGR pressure sensor, taken the upper and lower manifold off and cleaned all the built up carbon and oil deposits, swirl flaps are clean and operational, valve body the valve sat in was cleaned out + the temp sensor was also cleaned.
When the code is cleared it will come back on again either that day for the next two.
I've had my scan tool on and have found something interesting, when watching my live data on 'EGR Commanded' it seems to run at 58.5% at idle and deviates up and down in coordination with the accelerator. This would indicate the EGR valve is operational and the system is in working order.
But for some reason the valve position will read 0.00% at random. Nothing done differently, sometimes I catch it reading at 0.00% whilst working normally.
Car doesn't run rough at idle, no lack of power and also fuel consumption is low and normal.
Its also a 3.0tdi v6

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's quite peculiar, perhaps it's intended after the oxy sensor picks up some information on the emission level.
Ive taken a plunger off that controls the egr cooler bypass "gate or flap". There's a vacuum line that runs from it to a solenoid that operates it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had mounted the plunger back up with lines and solenoid connected. But I left it disconnected at the cooler flap. Also moving by hand the cooler flap in wide open position.
After a good long couple of drives my ecu now isn't picking up a flow issue within the egr system.
The car does end up developing idling issues which are rectified by connecting the cooler flap and plunger back up.
The plunger itself is holding vacuum and not letting go. So I trust the plunger, it's the solenoid connected to it I find to be the problem.
Just ordered a new one and hoping it's the answer to so many others problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vacuum lines connected to this plunger could have been half hanging on so its important to check that first, it could be the problem in many cases, where a new valve and other replaced components were not needed.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Mate I would suggest you get a full readout from a VCDS system cos otherwise its very difficult to know where to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mate I would suggest you get a full readout from a VCDS system cos otherwise its very difficult to know where to start.

I feel your right, I'll get a garage to look at it and come up with thier idea. All in all its not throwing a code for insufficient flow now, do I dare say it's fixed but it wouldn't hurt to have a look over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts