Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They loved it for most part only complaint was tyhe B&O was to pricy. haha they dumped the cultch at 4500rpm nice test drive.

The 13.3 1/4 mile disappointing but the 0-60 was better then I thought it would be from what has been talked about. I believe the 3800lb weight of the S5 is the main problem. haha if you got this thing down to 3200lbs woo wee watch out c6 corvette.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...=121924?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*#3

·
Registered
163 Posts
They loved it for most part only complaint was tyhe B&O was to pricy. haha they dumped the cultch at 4500rpm nice test drive.

The 13.3 1/4 mile disappointing but the 0-60 was better then I thought it would be from what has been talked about. I believe the 3800lb weight of the S5 is the main problem. haha if you got this thing down to 3200lbs woo wee watch out c6 corvette.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...=121924?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*#3

The numbers were right on par where I thought they'd be. Its the 6300 dollars B&O Sound system that was unexpected. I thought they were going to lower its price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why does the B & O cost so much in the US? In the UK its only about £450 (so $1000 max). Are you sure that price is not including something else - maybe sat-nav?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that is the price of the B&O system in the A8/S8 and Edmunds assumed it was the same ssytem in these cars. From everything I have seen online and heard from the Audi Forum in NYC, the system in the A5/S5 will be in the $1000 range.

I think the article is also incorrect on the weight distribution - which they state is 58/42 F/R. I'm sure I have read (though I can't place it at the moment) the distribution is more along the lines of 55/45 or better. The 58/42 numbers are the same as the current A4.

Otherwise, great article!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't make me not want the S5 but it is so heavy. I called JHM which is a company in FLorida that works directly with MTM. They said there will not be any cheap horsepower gains. You might get 30 hp but not much more without spend 15-20k. The RS4 supercharger is $23,000 and offers no warranty on the engine just the S/C itself.

Thats my only thing making me double think this. I love to mod and hate the thought of not being able to without spending the price of another car to get some serious speed. I guess I'll have to be ok knowing this is more of a touring car that has decent speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe the US weight includes a full tank of gas and a driver, while the Euro weight is empty. So 180 lbs for a driver and approx. 90 lbs for 16 gallons of gasoline and you've got...

3594 + 180 + 90 = 3864bs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It doesn't make me not want the S5 but it is so heavy. I called JHM which is a company in FLorida that works directly with MTM. They said there will not be any cheap horsepower gains. You might get 30 hp but not much more without spend 15-20k. The RS4 supercharger is $23,000 and offers no warranty on the engine just the S/C itself.

Thats my only thing making me double think this. I love to mod and hate the thought of not being able to without spending the price of another car to get some serious speed. I guess I'll have to be ok knowing this is more of a touring car that has decent speed.
Thats mainly because of its natually aspirated engine. If it were a turbo or supercharger, a chip would be much more effective. But 4.9 to 60 is just fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe that is the price of the B&O system in the A8/S8 and Edmunds assumed it was the same ssytem in these cars. From everything I have seen online and heard from the Audi Forum in NYC, the system in the A5/S5 will be in the $1000 range.

I think the article is also incorrect on the weight distribution - which they state is 58/42 F/R. I'm sure I have read (though I can't place it at the moment) the distribution is more along the lines of 55/45 or better. The 58/42 numbers are the same as the current A4.

Otherwise, great article!

I caught those errors too. They also went on to say the car had 18inch wheels but later said the 19 inch wheels didn't impact the ride. Just a few misprints. Also the B&O I also heard about 1k.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thats mainly because of its natually aspirated engine. If it were a turbo or supercharger, a chip would be much more effective. But 4.9 to 60 is just fine.
I know this is an S5 thread, but out of interest I've had some quotes for tuning the A5 3.0TDi. With a custom remap the output can be increased to 290bhp and 560nm torque without effecting emission regulations and engine tolerances. That brings the oil burner down to a 0-60 in around 5.4 seconds without considerable effect to the only reason you'd buy a diesel - fuel consumption!

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is also an almost 100 degree day. We all know how sluggish NA cars get on hot days. I'd shave 2 - 3 tenths off that time for a normal 70 degree day. Maybe that past 4.5 sec quote isn't so far out afterall...

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is also an almost 100 degree day. We all know how sluggish NA cars get on hot days. I'd shave 2 - 3 tenths off that time for a normal 70 degree day. Maybe that past 4.5 sec quote isn't so far out afterall...

If that is true it will run neck and neck with the New 2008 M3 just reviewed in Car and Driver to 60. It loses a little in the 1/4 mile. 12.8 (m3) 13.2 S5 (ed)The skid pads numbers .95 (m3) .91 S5 (edmunds)

But I am awaiting C&D and R&T full road tests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.