Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all are aware , our cars' ECU settings reflect our style of driving - the more in- city driving we do , the more laid back the ECU becomes and throttle response diminishes .
Some 60/180 kilometers at a good speed , tends to wake the ECU up once again
In my S4 I could reset the ECU manually ( rather than having my dealer reset on their equipment ) by switching on the ignition , flooring the accellerator for five seconds - voila ..yr ECU is reset with throttle response at max once again .
My TT used to have another trick to reset manually .
Does anyone know/dicovered the trick on how to do this with a
S5 ????
Alsof - South Africa

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I don't personally have a lot of experience with Audi ECU's, but in Mercedes the only thing the ECU learns other than the fuel/timing map (which it adjusts constantly) is the shift points for the automatic transmission to reflect how aggressively you drive (either early or late shifts). For Toyota/Lexus cars, they don't even learn that part, just fuel and timing.

In general, resetting the ECU is a bad thing because you are back to base maps which aren't optimized, and the only reason I can see that there would be better throttle response is because either your idle is too high because it hasn't settled yet, or because the car is running lean on the base map (which does add more power, but could be potentially bad for the engine depending on other conditions).

Just my 2 cents, I could be way off base. If I'm wrong then the Audi ECU is pretty inferior for dumbing down your throttle response until you 'wake it up'.

P.S. in most cars you can force a reset by pulling the fuse to the ECU and waiting a few seconds (with the car parked, obviously) -- if you think you will be doing this often, you can wire it to a switch

-Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the input .....guess SupraBlur is correct with his 2 cents !If I require more agressive throttle response and higher auto box shift points , I will just move my Tip box to "S"mode - this more than does the trick for me !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.