Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have read on these forums the the x-pipe mod is a great way to get a better note from the stock normal exhaust. However, it doesn't look like ECS cater for the Sportback? How does the exhaust differ from coupe? And has anyone tried anything else on their Sportback?
Many thanks,
Neil

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
ECS x-pipe used to be sold only for the S4 which will be the same as the sportback. They both have a slightly extended wheelbase of about 2 inches!

When I got my ECS x-pipe only the S4 was available and I had to cut 2 inches off it to fit my S5 coupe perfectly. Others fitted them perfectly well.

So order the S4 x-pipe! But Awesome's prices have gone up! so a good exhaust place like Top Gear will make one for you. You can buy the X pipe piece and get it welded in place of the mid silencer.

·
Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2
451 Posts
Hi Dave, if you remember you contacted me about buying an xpipe before you bought yours and that has to be nearly 2.5 years ago so I would expect the prices to have gone up, as the xpipe has become more popular as there are not many options available exhaust wise for an S4/S5 unless you want to spend money or go custom.
If the op does think of ordering an xpipe from Awesome ,it might be worth contacting them first to make sure they are in stock.
I had to wait 5 weeks for mine to arrive and I believe you had to wait for yours,so a custom exhaust shop like what you have suggested may be the way to go if he wants it doing sooner rather than later.
If I were to buy another standard S5 this would definitely be the 2nd modification I would do.
First would be 034 air inlet pipe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies.
I am now going bespoke and having an x-pipe made to fit. Cost is going to be £180 Inc fitting. Fitting on Monday 19th Apr. Full stainless from MIJ exhausts in Walsall. A couple of friends have gone there and had a really good experience. So will let you know how I get on... so an 034 air inlet pipe huh?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Jay and his team at MIJ exhaust in Walsall do some excellent work . I have taken 3 cars there and the quality is excellent.
You won't be disappointed. (y)
In regards to the 034 inlet pipe they allow the air to flow more freely than the obstructive plastic unit. I stopped off at Mrc on the day I bought my S5 to pick one up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MIJ exhaust in Walsall do some excellent work . I have taken 3 cars there and the quality is excellent.
You won't be disappointed. (y)
In regards to the 034 inlet pipe they allow the air to flow more freely than the obstructive plastic unit. I stopped off at Mrc on the day I bought my S5 to pick one up.
Nice. Looking online and the pipe is around £115 in VAT. Definitely worth the cash? Any noticable differences when fitting?
Thank you.
Neil

·
Registered
451 Posts
You will not notice any immediate difference in performance however it will make the Supercharger whine a little louder. This can be increased by also removing the foam padding from inside your air box and the foam pads around the throttle body near the top of the Supercharger.
You will notice the difference in size when you remove it a as the 034 unit is much bigger and smoother. Where as the std unit is corrugated plastic & has resonators built into it.
When you put them side by side it is quite clear which one will allow the air to flow more freely into your engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update: So I have now had the middle resonator replaced with straight-through pipe replacement. I really love the sound on startup and sounds gorgeous on the downshift - all at low revs. However, when accelerating swiftly there is a rasp and very boomy, it just doesn't sound great. Considering getting the middle resonator welded back on. Would a bespoke x-pipe have been a better solution?
Neil

·
Registered
451 Posts
To be honest,if your not happy with the sound now, then an x pipe won't sound a great deal different as it won't alter the sound that much.
I had my car remapped after I fitted the xpipe and that worked for me.
Maybe if you weld the centre back on and remove the 2 resonators at the bottom of the downpipe it might be the sound your looking for.
Me, Dave kwattro,and Smokey Joe have all taken different routes to get the sound that we are looking for,so it may be trial and error.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also worth mentioning that my system has an X pipe at the bottom of the downpipes and then goes to a straight through middle section and most of the noise I hear comes from the rear.
Doug at Mrc commented 2 weeks ago that when the car was on the rollers at WOT there was not that much noise in the cabin and it sounded great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also worth mentioning that my system has a straight through middle section and most of the noise I hear comes from the rear.
Doug at Mrc commented 2 weeks ago that when the car was on the rollers at WOT there was not that much noise in the cabin and it sounded great.
Thanks for the comments @Redline_dtm1 Much appreciated. I think what I really want is the middle ground between OEM and what I have now. Think I will live with it a bit and then decide. However the cabin noise in my car is definitely louder. I might do a video but the noise is never the way it actually sounds. Everyone at work says it sounds loads better, but they haven't been in the car when moving.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also you may well find the sound changes over time as more carbon/soot builds up in the pipes.
So it might actually get better the more you drive. It might not be all bad after all.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
889 Posts
Ahh. Hadn't thought of that. Nice one 👍🏻
If you don’t like the sound of droning during cruising or certain Rev points, then I suggest sound deadening of the rear car, it’ll add abit of weight but negligible. When I had my A5 I fitted a non-res miltek quad exhaust and also fitted a sport mid box so it had lots of droning in the cabin, after installed sound deadening material in the boot/ boot lid and car doors, I didn’t hear a peep of droning which was brilliant!

hope it helps

~Alex

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The X pipe can or could reduce the boom or drone as the Yanks say. The X pipe theory is for the exhaust to scavenge and exit by the fastest route by swapping pipes inbetween the exhaust pulses from the engine. This swapping also alters the sound waves and frequency, so it will sound slightly different and also reduce the boom. BUT, the x pipe is most effective nearer the front to help the scavenging, so where the ECS x pipe is located, it is mainly for sound than performance.

Rather than try and get a X pipe made, more money, a cheaper alternative to give the same effect is weld a small transfer pipe between the 2 pipes, this would be called a H pipe. :)

Alternative is to weld in a small twin silencer.

As Redline says, the tone can change with miles and carbon build up.

Think of an exhaust as a musical instrument, the length, bore, chambers, types of silencers, cross overs etc all change the sound.

I only have self made rear back boxes, no other silencers, straight through with valves. Funnily when I removed my downpipe silencers it actually reduced the boom but increased the volume!? The std rear back boxes do have helmholtz chambers in them to reduce boom. I think, not having cut open the middle section, there are baffles, maybe another helmholtz chamber in there, so the boom would be over powering the back box chambers as the exhaust is designed and tuned as a whole, so removing one part will change how the rest of it operates.

So to reduce the boom on mine, I added a pair of Helmholtz chambers to the ECS X pipe section. Now on the motorway with the valves closed, it is only a very slight hum. The size of the chambers are calculated by the frequency of the boom you want to reduce and the revs they occur at. I used an app on my phone to get the frequency and then a pre made Excel sheet to calculate the size or volume of the chamber. You think how much science goes into making exhausts! :)

Excuse the welding, it's not my day job and it's more functional rather than aesthetics :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
@neilgrifith, you have gone a similar route to me although I started by straight piping the front resonators. I ran like this for a year or so, sounded good at certain rpms and no drone, but it was quite raspy at lower rpms.
Next I had a magna flow 11385 fitted (silenced x-pipe) where the 2 front resonators used to be. This sounded really nice, a lovely burbly deep tone and very smooth sounding with no drone but it was just too quiet for me.
Now I still have that in place and have had the middle box straight piped.
It is a very good compromise. Still a deep burbly tone, no harsh sounding rasp at all, quiet enough on a light throttle and loud enough when having some fun. Will cruise very quietly on the motorway up to 85 in top gear but will drone above 85 unless you downshift.
It would be interesting to hear how it would sound with the magna flow in place of the middle box if you were thinking of putting the middle box back in. I think it would be slightly louder than stock but no rasp and probably no drone. Also these are only £120 to buy new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts