Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Audi S5 6spd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy an exhaust system for my b8.5 6sp.

I like the idea of being able to close the valve and dont have to deal with little to no drone when cruising at hwy speeds (70mph +) well at least that's what I've been told. But no first hand knowledge.

But I'm not sure if I should go resonated or none resonated version? I know its louder with the non resonated. But how much more does it drone with the valve open or closed?

And MOST OF ALL, is it RASPY? I know some folks dont mind it, but I'm not a fan of it. For me I would rather stay stock lol.

For those who has it, how do you like it? How long have you had this exhaust? And any issues?

I think a few months ago I might of read an older thread of people having issues with the ecs valved exhaust.

I'm asking cause on Facebook, someone working at ecs, has a group buy going for $1600 with the 4" tips.

I wished I knew someone who has it locally where I live (northern California) so I can hear it personally vs what's on youtube.

But I did get a chance to hear the polo performance exhaust in person. Imo that's one of best sounding exhaust I've heard in person and it sounds good on youtube.

Usually other exhaust system are too raspy or not loud enough or too much drone.

Does the ecs valved exhaust sound similar to the polo performance exhaust?

I wasnt thinking of buying one but I'm considering it. But I only got til the 15th of this month to decide. Just trying to get some feedback.

Thanks.

For those that dont know what the polo exhaust sounds like...https://youtu.be/ZNPKDX64rRM

we are the borg! resistance is futile.

I aim to misbehave

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The 3.0tfsi can be raspy with any exhaust to a certain degree. This can be cured or toned down by fitting exhaust dampers/weights or wrapping the down pipes with exhaust wrap.

I made my own valved exhaust and it does sound similar to the ECS videos. But it's too quiet for me, so looking at removing the silencers on the down pipe. I have the centre res delete with the ECS X-pipe too.

Looking at the Polo exhaust, it is a track exhaust with only a mid silencer and Helmholtz tubes at the rear which only reduce boom/drone and not volume. Looks like a good system! I think the Polo system will be a tad louder than the ECS valved.

·
Registered
2015 Audi S5 6spd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess some folks on audizine didnt like the polo exhaust, because it goes from 2.5 tubing to 2.25. Saying, if you go higher hp, the smaller tubingnisnt ideal.
And they use t409 ss vs 304 like most other tuners.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I guess some folks on audizine didnt like the polo exhaust, because it goes from 2.5 tubing to 2.25. Saying, if you go higher hp, the smaller tubingnisnt ideal.
And they use t409 ss vs 304 like most other tuners.
Yeah, it depends on the stage of tune I suppose, but going to a slightly smaller bore, may actually speed the gases up using a 'Venturi' effect!? :)

Also when hot, the gas speed will also be higher.

I noticed a definite increase in power through the butt dyno when I put my straight through custom exhaust on!

With the standard rear silencer, the inlet is 2.2" going through different chambers and final exiting through 2 1.25" pipes into the tail pipes.

The OE rear silencer isn't too restrictive, but with the amount of gas redirection and small bore tubes to cut noise, it does impede gas flow. My custom exhaust is a directline line straight from the cats out the back. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts