Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Congrats Joe! :D

Registered
Thanks Dave,
It's actually perfect timing as I'm planning a little upgrade and need some pads so I'm thrilled. 馃憤
Get the Yellowstuff if you can! Unless you are really keen of keeping your new alloys clean? Then redstuff. :)

Reactions: Smokey Joe

Registered
Too late, I've already asked for the redstuff as I've been impressed with them so far. Have never tried yellowstuff but I really do like the low dust and quietness of the redstuff. The squealing of the stock pads was driving me insane.

Registered
Thanks MrFergus, yeah I won't be going anywhere near a track or I would've gone for the yellowstuff. With the 380mm discs I'll be fitting soon I'm sure I'll have enough stopping power to slow down the off ramps from erm 70ish.馃槀

Registered
Redstuff is a good choice and liked them on my A5 3.0tdi. As I am driving my S5 more now as a weekend toy as I'm working from home, I find I'm driving a little more spiritedly and the power, EBC recommend Yellowstuff :D My brother has used them on track in his M coupe, also used Carbone lorraine - now they squeal!! I've used Greenstuff on track and Ferrodo DS2500s. DSs seem to need to use before using them properly.

Yeah my OE brakes squeal like a pig! I think a big part of this is because the OE pads have a sticky backing that stick to the caliper and don't allow any movement, hence copper grease on the pad backing to allow the pad to move and not squeal!

Do tell, I'm nearing the end of my brake project and will do a full build thread with the EBC kit, what calipers are you fitting for the 380mm discs? :D

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
Discussion Starter #28
Redstuff is a good choice and liked them on my A5 3.0tdi. As I am driving my S5 more now as a weekend toy as I'm working from home, I find I'm driving a little more spiritedly and the power, EBC recommend Yellowstuff :D My brother has used them on track in his M coupe, also used Carbone lorraine - now they squeal!! I've used Greenstuff on track and Ferrodo DS2500s. DSs seem to need to use before using them properly.

Yeah my OE brakes squeal like a pig! I think a big part of this is because the OE pads have a sticky backing that stick to the caliper and don't allow any movement, hence copper grease on the pad backing to allow the pad to move and not squeal!

Do tell, I'm nearing the end of my brake project and will do a full build thread with the EBC kit, what calipers are you fitting for the 380mm discs? :D
Keep us up to date with any EBC projects you may have planned, always happy to hear from loyal customers and help if we can, [email protected]

Registered

Dave I've found some of the old Sq5 calipers (2pot sliding caliper) and some discs for a reasonable price. The discs were well rusty and looked past it but I've clocked them and they are straight and with some elbow grease have come up a treat.
I've had a quick mock up fit (without pads) and they are very close to the spokes so might need a small spacer but I won't know until they are on properly and bled up as it might pull the caliper in enough to clear.

What are your plans?

Registered
Dave I've found some of the old Sq5 calipers (2pot sliding caliper) and some discs for a reasonable price. The discs were well rusty and looked past it but I've clocked them and they are straight and with some elbow grease have come up a treat.
I've had a quick mock up fit (without pads) and they are very close to the spokes so might need a small spacer but I won't know until they are on properly and bled up as it might pull the caliper in enough to clear.

What are your plans?
Ah, just checked those out, didn't realise they were a sliding caliper, thought they were 4 pots! Nice size disc!

I've got the Q5 4 pot Brembo calipers, which I'm reconditioning as they were a bit skanky from being in a shed with a leaky roof for a year! But they are looking good now! Need to stick the S5 stickers on, lacquer, fit the new seals and they're good to go. They also fit straight on and use the same 345mm disc. I was seeing if I could get a larger disc, but your set up escaped me on my research, otherwise I may well have considered it!! I also like the B9 S5 brakes with stepped 6 pot calipers! But they were a bit too much money, but still about half the price of RS 8 pot calipers. But going fancy on the calipers means more money on the discs like the RS models are 2 piece. :)

I find the OE brakes decent really, so just wanted a little extra in stopping performance, but my main goal is more pleasing aesthetics. Your SQ5 calipers are big buggers and cover practically half the disc!

I'll be posting a little build thread soon! I even bought a sand blasting cabinet especially for the project! :D

Registered
Dave I've been looking at the options for a while and think the 4 pot q5/porsche macan calipers will look great and probably improve the braking a lot.
I simply wanted to go big as now I have bigger wheels I was thinking the 345mm discs were looking a bit lost.
As you said the b9 calipers look good and obviously the rs brakes look great but are very pricey. I also believe that with the rs brakes the master cylinder will need upgrading as there are lots of pistons to feed. I'm also waiting on decals and some free time (oh and my new pads) 馃槈

Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2
Congrats smokey Joe, 馃憦
I posted in the other section as well so well done you.
Redstuff pads good choice imho as mine are still only showing 50% worn after all this time,and much better than std pads. (y)
Good luck with your new setup and keep us updated 馃憤

Registered
Thanks Ade, yeah I'm happy with the brakes in the stock calipers so with the Sq5 calipers they can only be better? These things are huge. I know the weight increase could have a negative impact but I will do a full write up with my thoughts when it's all finished and got a few miles in. 馃憤

Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2
I don't think the Weight increase will work in a negative way as people say the same when you go from 19' to 20 ' wheels.
The 8 -10 kgs that the 20' wheels weigh over the 19s you don't notice.
Look forward to your write up when you've got them fitted. (y)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts