Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My first post here.

I'm 99% certain im getting an A5 1.8 S-line in January. Just talked to one dealer because i thought i might have to order it in June/July for a January delivery but he said start of Oct should be fine to secure a Jan delivery ! After reading peoples stories here i think i might ask at another dealer too just to be sure :D

Anyway, after reading the price list and this forum here i see that you need to get the AMI to get the ipod interface. The AMI is €382 so i figured i can live with that. Then i saw you need to order the MMI with Navigation etc.. for €4,225 too. Thats over €4,600 just so i can use my mp3 player !!! (I dont need the Sat Nav etc.. so i'd only be ordering it for the mp3 player compatability)

Surely you dont have to fork out over €4,600 just to use your mp3 player in the A5 ? Especially when cars like Seats etc.. come with an Aux input. All you need is a little €5 cable you can get at any tv store and plug it into the front of your radio.

Does anyone know if the new 09 updates will include an easier option to use your mp3 player. I dont need to be able to scroll through the songs on the MMI screen. I just need to be able to plug it into the stereo, sit it on my lap and i can select songs from there. Surely Audi can come up with a simple option for this - just a simple Aux input on the front of the radio.

I really like the car but for some reason this really bugs me that on a car thats costing me €50,000 plus extras (i know, we get ripped off in Ireland) i cant plug in my mp3 player but you can do on cheaper cars. Surely an mp3 input should be standard by now. Not having one is like still supplying a car with a cassette player !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have to agree. Had a 320d which had a simple AUX 2.5mm input, and was surprised when I found out the A5 did not have this. Then again, it does have the SD card slot which helps, but they are limited to 2GB cards only, so it means having a bunch of cards if you have a lot of songs

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Savo. Yes, that issue is a source of annoyance to many of us and there are quite a few threads on the subject, sadly none with the perfect answer. The SD card facility on the standard 'Concert' unit is great though. You get full navigation of the card and track info on the display.

That said, I'd still like to hook up my ipod. I'm waiting to see what other experiences emerge, but I think I may go for a Denison Gateway 100 interface, which (fingers crossed) should give 'aux-in' connectivity, plus limited control of the ipod, by tricking the unit into thinking the ipod is a CD changer. A similar Denison interface worked on my VW van, so I'm hopeful if would here also. However unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any confirmed A5 connectivity information available yet. I'll give it a few weeks and then perhaps contact the company who supplied my last Denison unit.

Some more info on options available (or not) in this thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem as well with SD cards is that say you have 200 cds with 20 cds on each SD card and you want to listen to a particular cd - how do you know which SD card its on ? You might have 10 SD cards that all look identical. You cant write all the song names on the back of the SD card :D Plus, it would probably cost you €300-400 to buy 10 SD cards.

Surely it would have been easier to have a simple 2.5mm input on the front of the radio. Who uses SD cards for their music anyway ? Almost everyone has some sort of mp3 player these days.

Lets hope they cop on to this soon and replace the radio with one with a Aux input before i order mine :D Its not as if its groundbreaking stuff. My friend has a Saab 9.5 thats 2 years old and he has an Aux input and surey they were on car radios well before then too. They should be standard on cars by now

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Savo. Yes, that issue is a source of annoyance to many of us and there are quite a few threads on the subject, sadly none with the perfect answer. The SD card facility on the standard 'Concert' unit is great though. You get full navigation of the card and track info on the display.

That said, I'd still like to hook up my ipod. I'm waiting to see what other experiences emerge, but I think I may go for a Denison Gateway 100 interface, which (fingers crossed) should give 'aux-in' connectivity, plus limited control of the ipod, by tricking the unit into thinking the ipod is a CD changer. A similar Denison interface worked on my VW van, so I'm hopeful if would here also. However unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any confirmed A5 connectivity information available yet. I'll give it a few weeks and then perhaps contact the company who supplied my last Denison unit.

Some more info on options available (or not) in this thread.
My problem with most of them is i do not have an ipod so its even harder for me to get accessories. My girlfriend bought me a Microsoft 2gen Zune in the US and its not available outside the US until 2009 so none of them products really work for me. I'll probably just have to use one of those fm transmitter things but i bet the sound wont be great. No point upgrading to the B&O system then ! :D

Im hoping they will see that people want a simple Aux input or something and put this on the radios soon. (Cant see it happening though :( )

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just a bit of backround: The AMI was developed originally for Audis with standard MMI, namely the A6/A8/Q7. In these cases, adding it to the system indeed notched up the price of the car by a few mere hundreds and in return you got a really elegant system. No problem there, if you want iPod connectivity, just remember to order AMI.

Fast-forward to present day and the A5 (and new A4), which do not have the real MMI as standard, but only with the DVD/CD navigation. Only then does the car get the MOST fiber-optic loop and availability of all the gadgets MMI cars have (hence APS Advanced, TV, advanced phone-prep etc. only available with DVD navigation). With just a Concert/Symphony radio, all you get is a souped up radio, not the real MMI. So, AMI becomes a really expensive addition because you have to buy the entire MMI + navigation system to get it.

AMI is fine and IMHO priced OK for what it was designed to do, but Audi really needs a cheaper solution for A5/A4 for those users who choose just one of the basic radios. I'm hearing rumblings this might be on its way, but personally I think an AUX port in the radio would have done the trick easiest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fast-forward to present day and the A5 (and new A4), which do not have the real MMI as standard, but only with the DVD/CD navigation. Only then does the car get the MOST fiber-optic loop and availability of all the gadgets MMI cars have (hence APS Advanced, TV, advanced phone-prep etc. only available with DVD navigation).
loc, thanks, that's interesting.

Are you saying that the basic Concert unit does not support MOST, or merely that it is not making use of it?

I ask because I am thinking of one of the Denison interfaces. The Denison Gateway 500 is a MOST unit (and is listed as A5 compatible) . The Gateway 100 works off the CD changer port, and is not listed as being A5 compatible. However if the Concert unit in my car does not have a MOST bus, then presumably the 100 is the more appropriate model?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
loc, thanks, that's interesting.

Are you saying that the basic Concert unit does not support MOST, or merely that it is not making use of it?
The A5/A4 radios, Chorus/Concert/Symphony, do not use or support MOST - there is no fiber-optic loop or support for it in the car unless you order the DVD navigation.

So Dension 100 would indeed be the choice for a car without MOST, but I don't know if it is compatible with the new Concert/Symphony radios - if the CD changer port is the same then it probably is, but I don't know.

Audi used to provide a cheaper iPod connection using the CD changer port in A4 B7 (and current A3 as well, that is still available of course), which is not as elegant as AMI, but at least much cheaper than buying DVD navi + AMI... Maybe Audi will come up with something similar for those buyers who can't get the full MMI and AMI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts