Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd start to log what I have, haven't, and might do with my aging A5. At 10 years old and almost 150,000 miles it's getting up there, but I don't plan on giving up on it quite yet! Where possible I'll try to document the process of any mods/repairs I undertake.

If you're a lost soul trying to do the same mods/repairs, or have suggestions and ideas please be sure to say so. Always happy to hear what is and isn't cool, and help out a friend fixing their nugget.

But for now, here's a big old TODO list.

Planned repairs/mods
  • Mods
    • Honeycomb front grille
    • Fully dynamic front indicators
    • Fully dynamic rear indicators
    • AXE EX 16 alloy wheels
    • Winter tyres for original wheels
    • ADS buttons to accompany ADS software mod.
    • Vinyl wrap - colour undecided
    • Paint brake calipers
    • Braided steel hoses for calipers
    • B9 seats retrofit
    • Custom front bumper (needs repair & install)
    • Brushed aluminium interior trim retrofit (Only center console left to do)
    • Facelift leather armrests (Only passenger side left to do)
    • RS chrome switchgear (Center console & passenger door left to do)
    • Facelift S5 rear bumper/valance & quad tip exhaust
    • RS inner door handles
    • R8 oil filler cap
    • Boost gauge & housing on steering column
    • Remap - Darkside or Bobby Singh
    • Bigass intercooler
    • Flat bottom facelift steering wheel
  • Repairs
    • Water pump rattling
    • Dent in drivers side front wing
    • Chips & scratches X 99999
    • Wiring loom missing for memory seats
    • Chairs tired (Replace with B9?)
    • Rear caliper seals failed, need rebuild
    • Need new tyres ASAP!
    • Wheel bearings humming loudly on front axle
    • Paint engine cover - color undecided
    • Car-park rear crack/scratch on rear bumper
Completed repairs/mods
  • Mods
    • Brushed steel keyhole surround
    • Dynamic mirror indicators
    • DTM edition fixed wing spoiler
    • Facelift LED tail light retrofit
      • Semi-dynamic module for LED tail lights
    • Gutted turbo resonance damper (TDI turbo muffler)
    • Darkside Developments intake hose
    • EBC yellowstuff pads & slotted/dimpled discs
      • Next time redstuff? Yellow very dusty!
    • Honeycomb fog light grilles
    • Enabled ADS via software
    • Interior LED kit
    • OEM metal dust caps
    • Dechromed window trim
      • Gloss black vinyl, could do with refreshing
    • Facelift S-Line gear knob (automatic)
    • LED license plate & reverse bulbs
    • Various minor VCDS mods
    • Convex heated mirror glass on both sides
    • S5-style matte chrome mirror caps
    • Illuminated door cards with QUATTRO floor laser logo
    • Black coolant & washer fluid caps
    • Removed padding, air dam, and butterfly valve from airbox
    • K&N cone filter
    • Backboxes deleted
    • Pioneer subwoofer & amp in molded cubbyhole box
    • Intake manifold painted black
  • Repairs
    • EGR failure
      • EGR valve & cooler replaced - No improvement
      • Intake manifold removed & cleaned - Problem solved
    • Door latch failure (drivers side sometimes didn't unlock)
      • Door latch mechanism replaced ~£150
    • High Pressure Fuel Pump failed
      • Replaced under warranty
    • Headlight level sensor arm snapped
    • Front ball joints worn out
    • Headlight controller & ballast flooded
Engine - CCWA 3.0TDI (~240PS)
Colour - Phantom black (LZ9Y)
Wheels - OEM Audi A/S7 5-twin spoke (255/40/19 Pirelli P-Zero)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Have you a budget in mind or just deep pockets? TBH it will be a great (re)build thread to follow.
You’re re building with your heart not your head...I’m doing the same with a 2001 Honda CR motorcross bike just now. Budget doesn’t exist. It’s actually really addictive.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the vast majority is self sourced and self installed/made, so actually not that expensive. The most expensive thing is going to be a wrap, and paintwork
That and a lot of mods are already sitting in my conservatory ready to be installed. Water pump and honeycomb grille is tomorrows job.

·
Registered
390 Posts
IngolWorks, it’s a rainy weekend and my job is the re-fit of my re-built CR engine. Keep us posted with your water pump and grill upgrades. Be real interested to follow your progress. Us guys need something to keep us busy ?

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you seen racing mica blue ?
Just googled it, that is pretty stunning. Depends how a wrap would come out though, they never seem to quite get the depth of paint.

·
Registered
390 Posts
What wrap colours are you considering? The ones I’ve seen, if done right with door shuts etc covered look real convincing. The only thing I’d worry about is at the removal stage a few years later. Will it affect the original paint finish? But with 150k on the clock maybe not a consideration?
I would be tempted with the bucket seats though, style over comfort.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a toss up of orange, white, purple, or green. All metallic/pearls, not a fan of matt. I know the mileage is pretty high, but I reckon the motor has got twice that in it, it's just the suspension and running gear that needs the real upkeep.

·
Registered
96 Posts
well show us the pics then, and on the stuff u did

also did u did the below, whats the benefits, i mean was it necasarry and how did u know u needed a clean'?>

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well show us the pics then, and on the stuff u did

also did u did the below, whats the benefits, i mean was it necasarry and how did u know u needed a clean'?>
Not too much to show right now. Only changes since the original post is R8 oil cap, and I finally got the bearings sorted

Regarding the intake manifold, I cleaned it to cure a persistent EGR fault. The cast aluminium picks up soot and oil really easy, and where the EGR connects the main pipework it's a harsh 90 degree turn. This makes it clog up completely and throw an insufficient flow error that no amount of replacement EGR valves and coolers will cure.

Unfortunately the car needs so much work and I'm so strapped for cash at the moment I've declared it off and road and am using another car. Hopefully this should give me the time and money to put everything right, finish some of the mods, and then get it back on the road. Means I'm not in a rush to get everything back together so I can get to work the next day.

Here's an assortment of pics of some of stuff I dug out of my phone for now though. The car in various stages of mod, brokenness, and bits I plan to stick on it

·
Registered
254 Posts
You doing a black edition plus custom bumper? Thought about doing that myself - someone on the Facebook A5OC had one. Bit scared to ask a body shop what they'd charge to do it though!

·
Registered
96 Posts
why your car require so much work, i mean 10 years is nothing for an Audi, its more the little things i bet, these engines are built like a tank, and if you know how to fix this stuff your self, then that is dope, still the ride looks bad ass, and i want a spoiler like that, was it glued or srewed in through the metal?

I also want that silver dynamic lights, the whole thing, i bet its hard to fit on

how long did it take you to clean out your manifold, and did you see a performance change?

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why your car require so much work, i mean 10 years is nothing for an Audi, its more the little things i bet, these engines are built like a tank, and if you know how to fix this stuff your self, then that is dope, still the ride looks bad ass, and i want a spoiler like that, was it glued or srewed in through the metal?

I also want that silver dynamic lights, the whole thing, i bet its hard to fit on

how long did it take you to clean out your manifold, and did you see a performance change?
150,000 miles of being there daily is hard on any car. I'll be doing most of the work myself.

The spoiler is bolted on, it's an OEM extra that was available with the OEM body kit or the DTM edition. Though, I bought mine much later off someone who was changing for the RS retractable spoiler.

What silver dynamic lights do you mean? I'm not following there.

As for the manifold, maybe 20 minutes to remove, half an hour of jet washing and scrubbing, then left it overnight filled with oven cleaner. Rinsed it down, wiped with alcohol and, masked, then painted it the next day. No real performance difference I think, but it cleared the error codes and MPG picked up a little.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You doing a black edition plus custom bumper? Thought about doing that myself - someone on the Facebook A5OC had one. Bit scared to ask a body shop what they'd charge to do it though!
It's a hybrid of an A5 bumper and Q3 bumper. I fortunately didn't make it, but purchased it from someone who'd had it made. Though it needs repairs, he was selling it as it's eaten a pheasant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts