Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if Audi have approved their cars for E85 or other fuels. I have not read anything about this but as alternative fuels are much more common in Europe then here in the US maybe they just don't advertise that even though they are ready for it.

Tonny

·
Registered
141 Posts
that is a good question. I haven't been in the US for a few years, but I thought there was more E85 around now a days. If we could use it, without destorying our Audis, I would do so.

Is E85 cheaper? If so, how much compared to say premium or middle grade gas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
E85 actually isn't a very good fuel option (less efficient, fuel consumption will be 20-30% higher). And considering all the oil/gas used to produce the fuel from corn in the factories, it is actually worse for the environment than regular gasoline.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/08/31/020480.html

Doesn't directly answer your question but thought it might be interesting for you to know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They just need to make diesel cheaper in the states, and bring the 3.0 TDI Audi A5 over there. Its crap that diesel is 50 cents more than premium gas, thats insane.

I read the stuff about E85, and it doesn't sound all that great at all! I still think diesel is a better option.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well E85 has been used for a lot longer in Europe then here in the States, Right now the E85 is so much cheaper in Arizona then premium gas so the loss in gas mileage is easily made up by the difference in price. Checked a couple of weeks ago and it was about 80 cents less, You are also supposed to see a significant horsepower increase. (more and more race teams are using it if they are allowed in their classes) Bad mouthing of E85 I'm pretty sure coming from old fashion oil companies that are not on the bandwagon for renewable fuels. If I found out that when I get my S5 that it is compatible with E85 I will use it.

Tonny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.