Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have mentioned the E10 petrol before, but just got an email from Shell and checked the Gov website and it is surprising to see some models that are not compatible are actually not that old! I thought it was going to be cars made in the 80s or earlier!! :)

Ethanol burns with less harmful emissions than regular petrol, which is good! BUT your mpg will decrease and older cars may not be compatible (See below). Higher Ethanol content eats the rubber seals in older vehicles.

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Audi petrol driven vehicles, excluding the following vehicles:

• First generation direct injection engines:
  • Audi A2 1.6 FSI, model years 2003-2005
  • Audi A3 1.6 FSI, model year 2004
  • Audi A3 2.0 FSI, model year 2004
  • Audi A4 2.0 FSI, model years 2003-2004
  • Audi A4 Saloon petrol engine models with OEM parking heater, of model years 2001-2008.
  • Audi A4 Avant petrol engine models with OEM parking heater of model years 2002- 2008.
NOTE: If your vehicle is listed above you should continue to use E5 petrol. If you are unsure please contact your local Audi dealer.

Another BUT, on forced fed motors, like my S5, this E10 fuel can mean more power! :D Only if yours is mapped to it, bit like running on a higher Octane fuel. Tesco Momentum's higher 99 octane comes partly from Ethanol added to the fuel. In the US, some highly tuned motors use E85!

I'm intending to re-visit my mapper once I have finished upgrading my charge cooling system and we'll see how the new E10 fuel performs!

Be interesting to see how the fuels or marketed on the forecourts as Shell has said the E5 will still be available to those who don't have compatible cars. Will they have UL E5 and E10, Super E5 and Super E10?

AND I'll put money on the government putting extra tax on the E5 to force people from the older cars onto the E10. Then once all E5 only vehicles have gone, they'll put the tax up on E10, just like when diesel was was a good amount less than petrol until a lot of diesel cars were sold, then they switched the tax on the 2 fuels. Or by then we will be forced into Electric vehicles anyway!?

EDIT: Just checked and V power will be the E5 alternative! So it will be more expensive to run on E5! Plus my mapping trip won't be any different as I run on V power anyway. It will be regular unleaded that switches to E10.

Reactions: F12NCO and JohnS4

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Interesting mate thanks, I did not know this one. Here in Italy we still pay alot less for diesel and for petrol fuel, as it should be given that all vans run on diesel.

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
318 Posts
Surprised to find local Tesco already pumping E10

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Surprised to find local Tesco already pumping E10
Yup, mine too. Seems to run fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
318 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I think I was naively assuming that Momentum & Vpower would just switch to being 99 RON E10. So it looks like I just keep using Momentum or V power and expect the price to rise. That's the same situation as before the E10 discussion started!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to refill, so may go to Tesco as V power is now over £1.50!

@Dippy I too thought we would get E10 Super/V power!

As the Petrol stations knew of this E10, they have been creeping up the prices over the summer! Good job I now only do 2k miles a year! My oil service has now come up 6800 miles or 28 days :) Keeps the engine in fresh oil changes every year.

Tempted to try the E10 stuff, just out of curiosity. Never put regular UL in my car.

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
318 Posts
Local Shell pumping it too

Edit: ESSO

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isn't that Esso, Aswad? :)

Not put fuel in for a few weeks, but will be doing in next few days.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Shell 99 octane is called V-Power is it not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
318 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here in the U.S. we've had E10 in the early 2000s. The official reason was for lower emissions. The economic (real) reason is that ethanol is cheaper (at least in the U.S.) and has a higher octane rating. So you can make a 91 octane gasoline with lower octane (e.g. 87) + ethanol. These are U.S. octane examples, and we use a different formula so the numbers are always smaller than Europe's.

I use E85 on my 2013 A5 FlexFuel and it's great! Much smoother idle, noticeable power increase, and it's supposed to do a really good job cleaning the combustion champer. The mileage is about 25% less than E10 gasoline though. If your car can handle E10, I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here in the U.S. we've had E10 in the early 2000s. The official reason was for lower emissions. The economic (real) reason is that ethanol is cheaper (at least in the U.S.) and has a higher octane rating. So you can make a 91 octane gasoline with lower octane (e.g. 87) + ethanol. These are U.S. octane examples, and we use a different formula so the numbers are always smaller than Europe's.

I use E85 on my 2013 A5 FlexFuel and it's great! Much smoother idle, noticeable power increase, and it's supposed to do a really good job cleaning the combustion champer. The mileage is about 25% less than E10 gasoline though. If your car can handle E10, I'd say go for it!
Yeah, I see a lot of guys in the US on E40 and E85 with forced fed tuned engines, as you say it increases the octane number and detonation resistance which is good on boosted engines.

I wonder if the octane rating is increased slightly with the E10? But I doubt we would notice the 5% of extra ethanol, especially going from Shell 99 down to regular UL E10. Might try and see :)

Have you had you car remapped to benefit from E85? I would have thought as with higher octane, the map needs adjustment to push the timing to benefit from it.

Got some V Power last night, no E10 at that station yet.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah, I see a lot of guys in the US on E40 and E85 with forced fed tuned engines, as you say it increases the octane number and detonation resistance which is good on boosted engines.

I wonder if the octane rating is increased slightly with the E10? But I doubt we would notice the 5% of extra ethanol, especially going from Shell 99 down to regular UL E10. Might try and see :)

Have you had you car remapped to benefit from E85? I would have thought as with higher octane, the map needs adjustment to push the timing to benefit from it.

Got some V Power last night, no E10 at that station yet.
My car is completely stock. Audi, perhaps for emissions credit reasons, produced engines/ECUs with FlexFuel for sale in certain states (e.g. California) so I didn't have to do anything. The only difference from what I can tell is that my intake manifold is made of metal and has an extra port injector that comes online when outside temp is really low (below 0 C, I think) I can't find an ethanol sensor mentioned anywhere for my engine (CPMA)

Other B8.5 cars need a ECU remap. Here's an example: APR ECU-20T-EA888-2-L APR ECU Upgrade - 2.0T EA888 Gen 2 (Longitudinal)

It's very tempting to know that I can get +134 ft-lb (182 NM), for less than $400 in about an hour. The S4 stock is 325 ft-lb (440 NM), with an ECU upgrade I can get 388 ft-lb (526 NM) and still get 30 U.S. MPG (7.8 L / 100 KM) on the highway. It boggles the mind.

I just don't know if my 105K mile engine/transmission can handle it without something blowing up.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just read up on the Flexifuel and yes yours is mapped to use up to E85 (110 RON) fuel, so it will give more power, but does reduce mpg. It does have an Ethanol sensor to monitor the percentage of ethanol.

I'd always go for a remap, unless the gains are negligible, like on nasp engines. Remaps are safe and within the parameters of the components. Yes they may reduce service intervals, but in general they are fine even on higher mileage cars. The only thing I would check is clutch condition as all that torque could over power the clutch. Depends how you drive too.

I'd say for that price, go for it as you don't use the power all the time!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just read up on the Flexifuel and yes yours is mapped to use up to E85 (110 RON) fuel, so it will give more power, but does reduce mpg. It does have an Ethanol sensor to monitor the percentage of ethanol.

I'd always go for a remap, unless the gains are negligible, like on nasp engines. Remaps are safe and within the parameters of the components. Yes they may reduce service intervals, but in general they are fine even on higher mileage cars. The only thing I would check is clutch condition as all that torque could over power the clutch. Depends how you drive too.

I'd say for that price, go for it as you don't use the power all the time!
The mileage does decrease by about 25%. So I buy E85 when it's cheaper than gasoline by 25% or more. The farm lobby is very powerful in the U.S., so E85 has been almost 40% cheaper than gasoline lately. Really loving the increase in power while saving money at the same time.

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
318 Posts
My local Texaco has joined the 99 RON market

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: HTB
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.