Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
So I'm going to change the oem pads to E.B.C redstuff on the recommendation of a few of you guys on here.
Was wondering where would be the best place to purchase from especially as black Friday approaches, does anyone know who might be selling these at a discounted rate?
Best I've seen so far is ebay at £113 for the fronts. Anyone seen them for less?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hi Joe,
£97.33 from Carparts4less - delivered to your door too! They do have 20% off, but excludes performance parts.

I'm sure I saw them at around £86 on some brake website, but can't remember!

Edit: Yep, quite a few sellers on Ebay for about £86!

Dave

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ps, don't forget, it's the same pad as A5! My 3.0TDi had the same calipers etc - just some may charge a premium as it's an 'S5' :)

Strange thing is, S5 discs are cheaper than the smaller discs on my 3.0TDI !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Joe,
Got mine from Amazon for about £77.
They might have a black Friday offer.
Else Car Parts For Less / Euro Carparts.
Same company, CPFL do often have a discount on performance Parts. Just Google for a current code. Got my EBC G&D discs from CPFL with a discount.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas I'll check them out. Dave I think those are rears on that link (the pic looks like fronts). And good point about looking at A5 pads. Forgot to mention I was going to just change the fronts as the rears have a bit more life left in them yet. Is this a bad idea as they're a different friction material? As in I don't want the front/rear bias messing up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Doh, yes they are!!

There won't be a huge difference in the friction co efficiency between the OE rear pads and front red stuff. You will just have black dusty wheels at the rear! ;)

Plus the brake balance is very biased towards the front. If you were finely tuned brake balance with rears nearly equalling the fronts, then it may upset it, but will be fine. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought Dave. I'd heard there's not so much initial bite with the ceramic pads but if there's not much difference it'll be fine. The oem rears aren't so bad as the front for the dust so they can wait till they're ready. I really hope it cures the squealing too.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Mine started squealing about a month ago, only at low speed and light braking. It looked like mine had new brakes not long before I got it, so not looking at getting new brakes, just yet.
Doesn't do it everyday, and I think it depends on the temp of the brakes and possibly weather. Could try removing the pads and cleaning and copper greasing them on the slide points. Can also be if you have a lip on the disc from wear. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah mine were almost new when I got the car and similar to yours squeal at light pressure ect. Sometimes a quick jab on the pedal stops it or hard braking from a decent speed to clean off the discs works for a while too.
The dust is the worst thing for me. Drives me nuts. After nearly 2 years of ownership I can finally justify changing the pads as they're getting ready, discs still look great.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah mine were almost new when I got the car and similar to yours squeal at light pressure ect. Sometimes a quick jab on the pedal stops it or hard braking from a decent speed to clean off the discs works for a while too.
The dust is the worst thing for me. Drives me nuts. After nearly 2 years of ownership I can finally justify changing the pads as they're getting ready, discs still look great.
I find a jab on the brakes in reverse works too. It is basically the pad sitting at an exact angle to create the squeal. hence why copper grease is used on the pad backs and slide points to allow the pad to 'move'.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't mind them squealing a bit, sounds like I have track pads then ! :) Track pads like Carbon lorraines, they squeal like a pig stuck in your wheel! :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi smokey joe,I have had red stuff pads on 14 of the last 15 cars I have owned and initially the pads can feel like there is no bite when you first drive the car and the pads are cold
Once the pads get warm you will notice they do get better the more you drive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I forgot to mention the braking system also assists with the charge on the alternator,so imho well worth putting decent pads on.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi smokey joe,I have had red stuff pads on 14 of the last 15 cars I have owned and initially the pads can feel like there is no bite when you first drive the car and the pads are cold
Once the pads get warm you will notice they do get better the more you drive.
That's good. Id prefer them to be a little more progressive as I find the oem a little on/off at slow speeds.
(too much servo assistance for my heavy right foot)

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's amazing how many people don't lol.
It is quite simple as when your car is braking the alternator voltage is raised above the level of your normal electrical system.
This enables your alternator to generate electrical energy and store it temporarily in the battery.
When you then accelerate away ,this extra energy helps to relieve the load on the alternator.
Audi claim it saves fuel by 3%

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bit like F1 KERS but no electric boost on acceleration :D The alternators are also water cooled! They are 'HD' alternators on the spec sheet, not sure what it stands for though!?

·
Sponsor
2,301 Posts
It's amazing how many people don't lol.
It is quite simple as when your car is braking the alternator voltage is raised above the level of your normal electrical system.
This enables your alternator to generate electrical energy and store it temporarily in the battery.
When you then accelerate away ,this extra energy helps to relieve the load on the alternator.
Audi claim it saves fuel by 3%
You're talking about the B9 right?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is great news to me. So I'm basically driving a hybrid and being kind to polar bears. I like that 😆

1 - 20 of 30 Posts