Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
No, it targets throttle response. Sport is more for gear change points.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok. When mines in dynamic it says S instead of D so assumed it was in sport mode. So I’m assuming it’ll be more responsive when in dynamic then I put in sport mode?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sport mode is as quick and as responsive as the engine/gearbox gets.
Dynamic is as Eamonn described, affects throttle response in D mode.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m confused, when my car is in dynamic mode it goes straight into sport mode. When I take it out of dynamic mode it goes into D mode (at the bottom of speedo) So are you saying that when dynamic mode is turned on and it says S at bottom of speedo it’s not in sport mode?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
I've never seen such behaviour, what gearbox is this? The only way to get into sport is to physically move the shifter to the position?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
When you select dynamic in ADS, the gearbox automatically goes into sport mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Richard Groves

·
Administrator
4,634 Posts
I've never seen such behaviour, what gearbox is this? The only way to get into sport is to physically move the shifter to the position?
no, no, no :nerd:
I have an S-tronic and original Audi Drive Select.
this means, I don't have D/S on my gearlever.
may be because it is MY2010.
anyway, when I put ADS in Dynamic, I get Sx in the DIS.
ADS in Dynamic means that all available system go in Dynamic mode, which is the same as Sports mode.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
ADS targets multiple systems:
Gearbox (select S or D)
ECU (throttle response)
Sports diff* setting
Active damper* setting
Dynamic steering* setting
ACC* sensitivity
Engine sound* (the bulkhead 'speaker')

*Optional equipment

The dynamic, auto, comfort and efficiency modes have fixed settings and the individual mode allows custom settings.

Reactions: Richard Groves

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Well that's new, had no idea it didn't have a separate location for S. Out of curiosity then, how do you put it into S without ADS?

·
Administrator
4,634 Posts
Well that's new, had no idea it didn't have a separate location for S. Out of curiosity then, how do you put it into S without ADS?
if you don't have ADS, your gear lever will have D/S.
but as I do have ADS and no D/S, I have to use the ADS-buttons.
in other words, I can't get S without ADS :)

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Facelift B8 models and B9 with S-Tronic and ADS also have D/S on the gearshift. I’ve never really noticed a difference between S and dynamic regarding the engine and gearbox myself. Not saying there isn’t one, but must be quite subtle.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Interesting, on mine with Tiptronic and retrofitted ADS, dynamic and S are completely different animals.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mines an stronic and dynamic and S are very different. Dynamic you could drive all day, has a responsive throttle but otherwise you could forget about, S puts the revs in the power band (...ish)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Facelift B8 models and B9 with S-Tronic and ADS also have D/S on the gearshift. I’ve never really noticed a difference between S and dynamic regarding the engine and gearbox myself. Not saying there isn’t one, but must be quite subtle.

Not that I have driven a car with your engine, and certainly not whilst comparing S with and without dynamic, but it is quite noticeable with the 3.0TFSI and based on @Blue's comment the 3.0TDI as well. That's probably due to the different torque curves on the supercharged petrol engine and for the diesel (where the turbo has different characteristics). Possibly on the 2.0TFSI the turbo lag offsets the action of the improved throttle response to make it less noticeable?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Not that I have driven a car with your engine, and certainly not whilst comparing S with and without dynamic, but it is quite noticeable with the 3.0TFSI and based on @Blue's comment the 3.0TDI as well. That's probably due to the different torque curves on the supercharged petrol engine and for the diesel (where the turbo has different characteristics). Possibly on the 2.0TFSI the turbo lag offsets the action of the improved throttle response to make it less noticeable?

There could be some truth in that Dippy, but I have to say I didn’t notice much difference between Sport and Dynamic in my previous 3.0TDI S-Tronic either to be honest. And I’m not saying Dynamic was rubbish, quite the opposite, that Sport mode is brilliant (particularly in the 2.0TFSI) so much so that I didn’t notice a tangible gain over that in Dynamic. Both were factory fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.