Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm having the car serviced/MOT'd and when checking the 'additional work' required I see I need the ATF oil and ATF easy change filter done. The garage have said I also need the Haldex oil changed at the same time.
Can anyone confirm this is correct? The car is 2015 S5 3.0 and has 48k miles on it. I'm happy to go with the ATF as I can see this is required in the documentation.
I only have a partial service history and none of this appears to have been done.
Cheers.

·
Administrator
4,577 Posts
Hi,
I'm having the car serviced/MOT'd and when checking the 'additional work' required I see I need the ATF oil and ATF easy change filter done. The garage have said I also need the Haldex oil changed at the same time.
Can anyone confirm this is correct? The car is 2015 S5 3.0 and has 48k miles on it. I'm happy to go with the ATF as I can see this is required in the documentation.
I only have a partial service history and none of this appears to have been done.
Cheers.
your beautifull car does NOT have a Haldex system, which is for Audi's with a transversal mounted engine.
you might have a sports-differential in the rear axle, for that you will have to check the specifications.
your gearbox is either tiptronic, or S-tronic, which both could need an oil-change.
obviously you are not using an official Audi dealer.

Reactions: danjwilson

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your beautifull car does NOT have a Haldex system, which is for Audi's with a transversal mounted engine.
you might have a sports-differential in the rear axle, for that you will have to check the specifications.
your gearbox is either tiptronic, or S-tronic, which both could need an oil-change.
obviously you are not using an official Audi dealer.
Thanks for the reply. You're right, I am not going to official Audi dealer.
I just wanted to clarify before speaking to the garage again. It was the receptionist who said I would need Haldex oil changed.
I'll call her back.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ATF should have been changed 10K ago. Other than engine, none of the other oils need changing - according to Audi...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ATF should have been changed 10K ago. Other than engine, none of the other oils need changing - according to Audi...
Yeah, I got the car on 40k miles. No record of ATF oil being changed so I decided to get this done. I spoke to the actual mechanic and he is aware I have no Haldex system. I think the only other additional items coming up are Poly V-belt and spark plugs at 60k so plenty time.
Cheers.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Maybe the receptionist got haldex and torsen mixed up. Or maybe you have the new quattro ULTRA system that uses clutches like haldex. Either way, you probably should still change out all the fluids of the drivetrain while you're at it. That should include the ATF, the front differential (if separate, no 100% sure about DSG), center differential (quattro torsen or quattro ultra), and rear differential.

I had a Golf TDI that I changed the ATF on every 40 - 50K miles. Transmission lasted almost 200K on what is supposed to be one of the worst transmissions VW had ever made.

The differential, which I didn't know about, blew up around $100K so I had to rebuild it for a few thousand dollars. As it turns out, the differential fluid was less than $30. It's really cheap insurance in my opinion to just change out all the fluids every 40 - 50k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe the receptionist got haldex and torsen mixed up. Or maybe you have the new quattro ULTRA system that uses clutches like haldex. Either way, you probably should still change out all the fluids of the drivetrain while you're at it. That should include the ATF, the front differential (if separate, no 100% sure about DSG), center differential (quattro torsen or quattro ultra), and rear differential.

I had a Golf TDI that I changed the ATF on every 40 - 50K miles. Transmission lasted almost 200K on what is supposed to be one of the worst transmissions VW had ever made.

The differential, which I didn't know about, blew up around $100K so I had to rebuild it for a few thousand dollars. As it turns out, the differential fluid was less than $30. It's really cheap insurance in my opinion to just change out all the fluids every 40 - 50k miles.
Thanks for that - I think most of what you've suggested has been done.

I recently had a stage 1 remap and added a decent filter so the cost of this gives me some piece of mind. I'll likely do it again around 80-85k.
1626802489134.png

·
Registered
474 Posts
Based on the G052529A2 gear oil, that's for the 7-speed DSG. But the oil for the center differential (aka transfer case) is G052513A2 and the rear differential is G052145S2. 055532A2 is the oil for the 6-speed manual transmission, so I'm not sure why you were charged for that.

Maybe Audi changed the oil specs between 2013 and 2015, but I doubt it. Based on this, I don't think so: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10068232-2280.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts