Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently put 10/15 spacers on, and I notice more than ever that the front end sits "high". I don't mind the ride height in the back, but the front sits quite high in comparison.

Anybody else notice this? I haven't measured to see what the actual difference is, but it's noticable to me.

This pic/thread shows the difference reasonably.

Does it make sense to lower front only slightly, if that's even possible? I don't want to lower all around cuz I live in pothole city (Detroit burbs), but would like a more balanced look front to rear.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've recently put 10/15 spacers on, and I notice more than ever that the front end sits "high". I don't mind the ride height in the back, but the front sits quite high in comparison.

Anybody else notice this? I haven't measured to see what the actual difference is, but it's noticable to me.

This pic/thread shows the difference reasonably.

Does it make sense to lower front only slightly, if that's even possible? I don't want to lower all around cuz I live in pothole city (Detroit burbs), but would like a more balanced look front to rear.

Any thoughts?
Hi Air,

If you look closely, the wheel arch in the front has a slight difference in the shape; most newer cars do this (including BMW, Volvo, etc.) to give a better clearance when turning. BWM is the most pronounced in this area (especially the 3-Series). Your only real choice is to add a little more rake (aggressive drop) in the front which can only be done with coilovers.

Regards,
C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good day gents! Lovin' this forum!! My 09' S5 is still 6 and 1/2 weeks out so I'm just preparing for the mods I have planned. This wait is making me nuts!! I know it will be worth it as you've all said so and I believe it myself as this is the grand touring coupe' I've been looking for!

Airjoe, if I may I'd like to clarify something - are you running 10mm spacers in front and 15mm on the rear? I ask because I was hoping to use this same approach, as it appears that the front wheels already sit a few mm further out than the rear. However, I am concerned about messing up the track/balance of the car by using different size spacers and I'm not sure, but you may be one of the only ones who has used spacers this way (?), any issues so far? Anybody else done this?

The drop comes later for me and I'll be going coilovers, but for now, going with spacers. I appreciate any input! Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks very much TXcarguy for pointing me to the proper post - I have been following along (on spacer issues) now and then and even attempted a quick serach, but got busy. . .YelloJello and phil_m thatnks for your most valuable input - your cars look incredible!

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have put 10 on the front and 15 on the rear. The 15 on the rear were on for a week in advance of the fronts. The 10mm fronts were bought from a different company (they are not H&R spacers), and are steel. They are a *very* tight fit over the hub ring, and the wheel is a tight fit over the spacer hub ring. To the point of being concerning. And I'm sure related to that, there is now a steering wheel vibration.

Just to clarify, I had no issues running the 15mm on the rear only. I suppose there is a chance of a wear issue long term, but I doubt it.

As a result of the steering wheel vibration, I'm going to remove the 10mm spacers on the front, and replace with the H&R 5mm spacers on the front. I don't expect there be any issue.

As for difference front to rear on "gap", using a rule butted against the tire and looking "straight down" (unscientific at best), I see around a 16mm inset on the front, and around 27mm on the rear.

The 15mm looks really good on the rear, and the 10mm on the front actually looks just a tad too far out. Keep in mind, I live off a dirt road, and you will also spray the heck of the side of your car the more you push the wheels out. For me, either 5 or 10 in the front, and 15 or 20 in the back is about the max I'd want. My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I dialed in some rake on my coilovers, but don't have any recent pics. I will get some up Friday...
I had the same look where you reference the front being a bit lifted. I had my guy lower the front by 8mm over the rear and now the stance is spot on perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about S-Line front springs? Any reason to think they might drop the front a little bit due the higher weight of the V8?

Anyone have a set from an A5 they're willing to part with (probably the wrong forum to get a great response)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good day gents! WOW, life has really been busy – work, night school, a couple mini family vacations, aging parents and now the wife has me in dancing lessons – crazy! I can only apologize for not posting more often, but I wanted to at least pop back in for a quick update.

I took delivery of my 09’ Quartz Grey S5 / black int. w/stainless, Nav & Tech Pkgs., B&O and Euro-style front trim [no license plate] – everything, except the dealer and I somehow missed the electronic folding mirrors [bummer], back on July 25th…. this car is amazing!! You [owners] all said so, I believed you for 9 long months and to those still waiting – hang in there, you won’t be disappointed!!

I’ve logged just shy of 2500 miles and all I’ve had time to get done is; the ceramic tint and Venture shield (protective film – nose and rocker panels) on day one, removed the V8 side badges, and the installation of the H/R spacers – 15mm in front and 20mm in the rear. Bought them from MadAudi – easy purchase, quick delivery and easy installation; the car looks much better with the wheels move out, even with the stock ride height! The car seems just a little bit ‘twitchier’ now, but it could be my imagination.

Gas mileage – average 17 (combo city/hwy) and on a couple of longer trips (200 miles) 25 mpg averaging speeds of 75 and 80. Quick shots to 100 from almost any speed/rpm really gets me grinnin’ and it corners like she’s glued to the road, although the body roll is a bit much – soon to be remedied though! I just pulled the trigger on KW V3s this morning – in stock, est. one week delivery. Why V3s? I just don’t want to make a mistake to save $300 and who knows, I may track this baby one day! Thanks very, very much! again to all of you who have installed coilovers and shared your experience – I am confident this is a worthwhile mod, and will compliment the spacer installation and the overall look and performance of this already stellar touring coupe´.

I do plan to post pics, however I am waiting for my Zaino products and the drop so I can take some solid quality photos of the car – please bare with me. For those who struggled with the Platinum gray front grill and rear valance in contrast to many of the other body colors, in my humble opinion Quartz is the best overall choice – it’s an excellent pairing, and Quarty looks great!! As you have all mentioned – this car turns heads! And here’s one for [my] record book, I got pulled over by an unmarked CHP going 80+, he checked out the car, while he was checking to see if I was the owner and he let me go - he even said have a nice day!! Life is good, really good!

That’s enough for now! Thanks for your time and the space on the forum < lovin’ it!
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.