Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i'm not sure if everyone knows about this already but this evening I discovered that if I set the DRLs to be on all the time through the MMI and leave my lights on off the DRLs go into what I have now christened "Super Bright mode SBM". So bright infact that they are difficult to look at directly.

I checked this out as I had my brother look at the DRLs in every mode they can be on in, this being AUTO, Full Headlight On and DRL only and the DRLs were no where near as bright as when I switched the lights to off and the DRLs were on via the MMI.

So I decided to drive with my lights off this evening (DRL SBM), only downside is that the speedo and instruments wont be lit up, but as the speedo can be viewed via the DIS so i'm not bothered.

If you think people stared at the car before, then you haven't experienced anything until you've driven the car with the DRLs like this. :D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Mine are at the same brightness in both positions:

OFF completely (Very Bright)
Auto (But lights are off) (Still extremely bright)

The only time they dull down is if I move the switch to the sidelights.

Is there a difference in brightness with yours when on AUTO as compared to OFF Completely?

Rab.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine are at the same brightness in both positions:
OFF completely (Very Bright)
Auto (But lights are off) (Still extremely bright)
The only time they dull down is if I move the switch to the sidelights.
Is there a difference in brightness with yours when on AUTO as compared to OFF Completely?

Rab.
Yes there is a difference on mine. Just went out and double checked again.

OFF (but set to always on through MMI) - SUPER BRIGHT
AUTO - Bright but not as bright as in OFF mode
SIDE LIGHTS (DRL only) - Same as AUTO
FULL Head lights - Same as AUTO

Could this be a difference on later models?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Yes there is a difference on mine. Just went out and double checked again.

OFF (but set to always on through MMI) - SUPER BRIGHT
AUTO - Bright but not as bright as in OFF mode

Could this be a difference on later models?

When you set it to auto, baring in mind that it's night time, did the headlights come on?

They do dull down if the headlights come on in Auto Mode. But in daylight, when it's ONLY the DRLs (with no headlight) and set to Auto, they are brighter.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you set it to auto, baring in mind that it's night time, did the headlights come on?

They do dull down if the headlights come on in Auto Mode. But in daylight, when it's ONLY the DRLs (with no headlight) and set to Auto, they are brighter.
I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OFF - DRL Super Bright
AUTO (Daytime) - DRL normal, Headlight off
AUTO (Night) - DRL normal, Headlight on

TURN SIGNAL - Respective DRL side turns off, Yellow blinks

No luck from anyone yet to fix it through VAG-COM.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you do know that the rear lights dont come on when the drls are on (MMI) but lights are off so dont drive with just the DRLs on.
Good point, but I would only drive with it like that in town with street lights and plenty of light - its mainly during the day as they are just so much brighter in this mode.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The only downside is that the rear lights arent on when you do this and depending on whether your car is an early 2007 model or a later one you will find when you indicate the DRL either stays on (early one) or dims down (later one). US models apparantly go out altogether when indicating.

You arent the only one though. Remember that poll I put up about keeping the lights off at dusk so the DRLs stay on brighter? Most voted that they do that.

Also, when set to auto but daytime, the lights are the same brightness for me whether its set to off or auto. Its only if you go into sidelights that they dim down (or full headlight).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Now i'm not sure if everyone knows about this already but this evening I discovered that if I set the DRLs to be on all the time through the MMI and leave my lights on off the DRLs go into what I have now christened "Super Bright mode SBM". So bright infact that they are difficult to look at directly.
Yeah I thought this was discussed before. This is how I drive with mine throughout the day as well....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.