Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All.

Horror of horrors - I was told last night by a mate at work that one of my Day light Running Lights was not working. Sure enough, taking a look I noted that just a single light on the nearside side of the car was not working. This is worse than having no lights at all as its so obvious.

Has this happened to anyone else? And if so - how do you replace them. Is this a trip to the Audi Garage or is it a simple bulb replacement (I fear not). I also suppose this is not a warranty issue - although for something so unique its a bit of a pain if they blow after 8 months and then need a Audi dealer to sort out.

Anyone have an idea of costs?

Otherwise the car has been great (Back A5, 3.0 TDI with all the bits).

cheers

Mark

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
A couple of other folks in the forum have had this same issue. Unfortunately, you cannot replace a single LED bulb. You must replace the entire headlight unit from what I understand. This should be covered under warranty.

I'll see if I can dig up the posts of the others who had this same problem.

EDIT: I found 3 members who had this problem. Click below to read the details.

REB_A5

doubledoom

funkymoola

I'm sorry to hear that your car has suffered this same problem too. That's a real bummer.

Just a thought ... if you're embarrassed to drive around with the "toothless" look, you could always turn off the DRLs (via the MMI) until you get your replacement headlight.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I was unable to get my car into the dealer for a couple of weeks to get mine fixed. Miraculously, the 'blown' LED must have taken pity on me and decided to start working again and its been fine ever since, glowing brightly as designed.

You may find it is just a loose connection that may or may not sort itself out. Otherwise as TX says, it's a complete headlight unit swap under warranty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of mine went too and I had the unit replaced under warranty. Up until the car went into the garage I turned off the DRL's through the MMI so I didn't have that "missing tooth" look (Car - Exterior Lighting - Daytime running lights - Off).

Check that the mechanics align the light beam properly before you leave. I didn't and had a "dipped" beam that blinded everyone on the other side of the road necessitating a return trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drl

Hi All

Thanks very much for comments and advice.

Well let you know how I get one when I take the car in for first service (where I hope to get the DLR fixed).

rgs

MArk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hi All

Thanks very much for comments and advice.

Well let you know how I get one when I take the car in for first service (where I hope to get the DLR fixed).

rgs

MArk
Your first service is going to be about 18 months away. Do you really want to leave it that long?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your first service is going to be about 18 months away. Do you really want to leave it that long?
Well on the long life service - done about 14,000 miles already, I presume I have about another 5000 miles and will then need a first service?!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I didnt realise you had done so many miles already. Still, with the A/S5 its very easy to ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt realise you had done so many miles already. Still, with the A/S5 its very easy to ;)
Too True! I do worry about the miles I am putting on the car (I work for myself and travel all over the UK is a way of life). However, I can not think of a better car to do those miles in.

Take this Wednesday, I leave Reading at about 0445 for a 0900 meeting in North Wales (tip of). Whilst getting up is a pain, once I am in the car with the Ipod singing , I just settle into the seat and let the car eat up the Miles.

Next week I travel from Reading, to Nottingham, then Newcastle, then Glasgow, then back to Bradford and and then home to Reading. That takes place between a Wednesday and a Friday - the car is great for this sorta travel!

MArk

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Unfortunately, yet another forum member (Alejandro) has encountered this same issue. So, I guess that brings the total to at least 5 members who've encountered this problem.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Shame...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unfortunately, yet another forum member (Alejandro) has encountered this same issue. So, I guess that brings the total to at least 5 members who've encountered this problem.
Add me to that list :mad:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had it happen as well - had lamp unit replaced on drivers side.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had it happen as well - had lamp unit replaced on drivers side.
It is also on my drivers side, weird. I will be making an appointment some time next week.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Mine was replaced as well. Add me to the list.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed one of mine was out this morning. It's hard to tell as it's more of a dim spot on one side but not the other. Anyway, awesome that it's covered. Is it covered for the whole 4 year or whatever warranty? I'll be reaching 1 year this week so I hope it's not only for the first 12 months.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts