Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, sorry it's been a while since I posted but things have been hectic around here to the point I have only done 600 mile in 2 weeks and that included a 350 mile round trip in 1 day.

Anyhow the reason of this post is I am setting out to southern Spain from the North of England on Wednesday so will be putting a few thousand miles on the clock. I intend taking my laptop to update the journey, take some pics and report back on sat nav, comfort, reliability blah blah. Heres hoping to a smooth journey as I intend in doing around 700 miles per day.

By the way I do love the car and will post a few findings in the appropriate areas of the forum.

One thing thats relevent here is the sat nav, I was doing a 15 miles journey last week knowing exactly where I was going but still entered it into the sat nav (You should never do this because it will take you what you feel is the wrong way and probably is but it's design is to get you to a location based on your stupidity and inability to map read, so if it takes me 10 miles out of my way on a 200 mile journey then that still quicker than stopping to read a map) I got to the end of the street and it said turn left, whoops sorry it said Please turn left (Very polite) now I knew this was more then a small error and ignored it !!! throught the rest of the journey it was telling me to u turn etc. now I got within 500 yards of my destination and she is still telling me to u turn, at this point I called my wife and moaned about just how shite the sat nav was as it was telling me I'm still 14 miles from my destination...AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH:eek::eek::eek: if it was not a fixed unit it was going out of the window at speed. I told the calm one who cooks n cleans I need to take a tom tom with me for Spain as this bag of shite couldn't find it's own back seats, 2 grand 2 f+++ing grand, I was mad to say the least, at this point the home help hung up... BITCH I need to moan... Upon arriving at my destination I looked at all the settings to see just what was wrong to find I had put in the wrong address !!!!!! Sorry Audi XXX:eek::eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Do you go to Marbella every year? Such the Brit/Swede summer hangout area! Used to live in Puerto Banus and opened/ran a daiquiri (and full) bar there (Cannibal Cafe - my buddy named it!). This was back in '92, so I'm sure things have changed a bit down there!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you go to Marbella every year? Such the Brit/Swede summer hangout area! Used to live in Puerto Banus and opened/ran a daiquiri bar there (Cannibal's Cafe - my buddy named it!). This was back in '92, so I'm sure things have changed a bit down there!
I go down to the Costa Del Sol a few times a year but normally fly down this is the first time I have driven. Try to get me the address of the bar and I will get some photo's for you !!!

I have some very good friends in Hobe Sound just by West palm Beach who I try to visit as often as possible, don't know if you know the area?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Oh..that bar is long gone. But it was in the first alley to the left when you came into the port area from the center main entrance from main parking lot. It was just a summer season fling for us that year. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

West Palm is southeast Florida. I'm on the Gulf (west coast) about 4 hours away. My mother lives down there about 40 minutes away in Ft. Lauderdale.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is loaded (Massive boot 2 suitcases, holdall and what other crap I found to take, as my co pilot say's you can bring it back with you but you cannot come back to take it!!!

Driving down to Portsmouth today (260 miles) overnight sailing and couple of beers, then Thursday off the barge in St Malo for a steady:eek: 750 miles to Madrid to meet up with some old friends and maybe a couple or three beers. Friday it's 400 miles to Marbella before maybe a having a couple of beers (Can you see the pattern forming?)

I will report in on any findings shortly, just off for a couple of beers.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey!, you are coming to Spain...

You should know that you are a lucky man coming here now, because it has been raining strongly last two weeks but now the weather looks like finally has changed...

Besides you are a lucky man coming here from england by car (really in such car), because the journey from there to here is really nice.
If you had time enough I would suggest you to make some stops in France, Swiss, Holland and some places where your trip would be even better.

Take car of you, take care as well of french and spanish radars and be careful if you have a radar detector because in France they have radar detector detectors and here in Spain police is starting to buy it as well...

Enjoy your holidays...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I´m now here in The Costa Del Sol having driven the 1500 miles or so without incident, except the odd speed camera in France but hey ho shit happens.

The car drove like a dream to the point I covered just short of 800 miles on the second day to arrive in Madrid to meet up with friends and have a good sleep before heading south.

The trip went day 1 Wednesday afternoon Yorkshire - Portsmouth
Day 2 Thursday St Malo France - Madrid Spain
Day 3 Friday Left Madrid lunch time arrived Marbella Costa del sol Tea Time.

Saturday hung over........ :eek::eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts