Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Driving in snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  DrakeS5 
#1 ·
Got snow in syracuse yesterday was out and about. The car is amazing!!! I took it in a parking lot to see what it could do.. esp on via off. You peeps down south are really missing out with the full potential of this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p

#3 ·
Summer tires in snow = bad

Summer tires in the winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

no i took those off, put on 17 inch rims and Dunlop 3d high preformance snow tires.. 245/45/17 SO MUCH FUN! I have found they are not more noisy than the summer tires and haven't noticed any real difference in performance.

Summer tires are for the summer :D

I never tried the summer tires in the snow, but they have no tread for snow.... so i can imagine it would be like having cool iceskates

#13 ·

I never tried the summer tires in the snow, but they have no tread for snow.... so i can imagine it would be like having cool iceskates
I think i could stop quicker on ice skates...... My first test on stopping on ony 3" of snow on Saturday night was fun.... Down hill at a tee Junction... it was like dancing on ice !!!!!

We dont get too much poor weather so cant see the point in changing to winter tyres on the UK East Coast !!!!

#4 ·
The S5 stock tires are terrible in snow. Slushy roads means 10 - 15 mph

Blizzaks go on Monday

#5 ·
snow!

I couldnt even get up my driveway without skidding using the 19inch S-line summer tires (dunlops).

I think I'll stick with the subaru for now as my daily mule.

What have you guys been doing for wintertime washing? I usually detail it myself, but thats not really practical now.

#10 ·
What have you guys been doing for wintertime washing? I usually detail it myself, but thats not really practical now.
I keep doing it myself all winter. I keep a hose in the garage, and wait for a day when the temperatures are above freezing. Today the water on the ground was turning to ice by the time I was done.

#6 ·
Nah, you can have your snow, road salt, pot holes, and the risk of other drivers sliding into you, I'll keep my year round fun driving.

There are times I miss 4 wheeling in the snow though.

#7 ·
Cleaning

I take it to a place that has a high pressure laser washer. (touch free) It also washes the underside. The place also uses fresh water (not recycled from car to car) its $8 wash if you don't get the extra wax etc. So after the very salty days I take it there. More so when ice and snow is stuck to the car with salt.

#8 ·
Lol, it was 82 degrees here yesterday. With "chilly" lows in the 70's. I think I heard it might rain mid-week for a couple of days.

What are winter tires? =P

#9 ·
Heck anybody can drive in stop and go California traffic:D Try driving in Iowa where roads go from dry to wet to freezing rain to sleet to snow to blizzard all in one trip. Roads go from great to dumptruck size potholes with road hazards varing from 14 year olds with school permits to 200 year old grandma/grandpas along with an occasional combine/tractor. If the roads are plowed/salted be aware that the salt may contain boulder sized crystals which would penetrate bullet proof glass. Real drivers thrive in these conditions so come and visit this winter suprablur:p

#17 ·
Thankfully, the Chicago area has generally excellent snow removal so one can get away with high performance all season tires as snowpack is rare. But S5 + snow covered parking lot = great fun.

Forest fires make the air smell nice ? Smells like - victory in the expanding concrete jungle...I've lived on 3 continents. Chicago is the best place yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.