Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the folding mirrors, once the car has been started the mirrors are supposed to automatically "unfold" and return to the position they were in when the car was turned off.

Lately, my driver's side mirror has been unfolding a full 180 degrees; it goes past the set position and keeps going until it is parallel with the side of the car with the mirror facing out. In order to get the mirror back to normal, I have to move the selector on the armrest to position "B" to force the mirrors back to their folded position, and hope that when I turn the selector again to positions 'L', 'A' or 'R', that it will unfold properly. Sometimes this takes a number of times before it resets.

Anyone have this problem? I'm thinking it's cold weather related, but...

·
Registered
92 Posts
With the folding mirrors, once the car has been started the mirrors are supposed to automatically "unfold" and return to the position they were in when the car was turned off.

Lately, my driver's side mirror has been unfolding a full 180 degrees; it goes past the set position and keeps going until it is parallel with the side of the car with the mirror facing out. In order to get the mirror back to normal, I have to move the selector on the armrest to position "B" to force the mirrors back to their folded position, and hope that when I turn the selector again to positions 'L', 'A' or 'R', that it will unfold properly. Sometimes this takes a number of times before it resets.

Yup
That has happened on my car a couple of times. I have the mirrors set to always fold in. I have noticed the mirrors extending in the way you describe after starting the engine. This has only happened when we've had an overnight frost and the car is icy.

Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same for me, I've also noticed it when it's been cold and only the drivers side.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get this sorted out by the dealer, it's a fault with the mirror.
Are you saying this because you know this is an identified fault - or because you believe it is something that needs sorting out? The reason I ask is that (for me at least) it is a highly intermittent problem. To get this fixed would need my car to be at the stealers for a long time.
A dealer would have more chance of getting run over by a submarine on the high street than they would have reproducing this;)

Plob

·
Registered
41 Posts
It hapened to my car also, when it was verry cold.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A dealer would have more chance of getting run over by a submarine on the high street than they would have reproducing this;)

Plob[/QUOTE]

So true!!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer told me it was something which will happen from time to time in icy weather. He offered to reset them if it started happening frequently. Since then it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Happened to me as well. Indeed after a freezing night.
Sorted itself out after warming up a little.

It looks like ice fills a cavity or edge which usually snaps the mirror in the unfold position(?).

Sounds like a small design flaw to me...just like the doors not closing after freezing temperatures :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the resopnses

Chalk up yet another reason to build a heated garage...

BTW - has anyone had the seals replaced on their windows due the windows not retracting when it's cold? I thought someone in a cold weather climate had mentioned it.

As for all you readers in Texas .... quit laughing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts