Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so the cold mornings are now upon us and my A5 has started wearing a nice layer of frost over its beautiful body at night. Unfortunately though, when it comes to taking it off in the morning, all but the Driver's Door Mirror are cleared.

I have the mirror switch in the central position to activate the heated mirrors and indeed this must be working as the passenger mirror clears in a few minutes. However the driver's side does not.

My initial thought was that maybe the heated element of the mirrors may have separate fuses and therefore it is just the drivers which is blown. But do not have a fuse diagram showing anything for the heated mirrors? :wall:

I have tried looking through the forum, but it seems most issues are relating to those who have not set the mirror switch in the correct position.

Can anyone offer any simple explanations as to why this might be and also any guides to how I can fix this myself (just paid out for a service and road tax this month, :music-smiley-019: so could do with an easy DIY fix).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Graham.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sounds like a fuse to me fella.

Look through the owners manual regarding the fuse layout, this will give you the information about all the cars fuses. If the fuse is ok, it could well be a break in the cable leading to the mirror. This is where it could get £££££!

In the mean-time use some de-icer..........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. :2thumbsup:

I'll have a look at the weekend and as you say, hopefully it is just a fuse. Failing that I'd rather scrape the ice off the 15 or so square inches of wing mirror and save my money.

I will report back my findings.

:deal:

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
it will be the mirror glass itself which has failed, there is a thin printed circuit type element on the back of these mirrors and these fail quite alot on the whole VAG range.

Good new is you can just buy and replave the glass, simply unclips from the motor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I have spoken to a couple of people who have said that they don't believe it is the fuse as it would be uncommon for a fuse to control just one heating element on a mirror, i.e. if it had a dedicated fuse it would control both mirrors or the mirror movement as well as the heater. Which I guess makes sense.

Therefore I believe it to be the element as mentioned above. Going to try and take the mirror off and see if it cannot be fixed before ordering a new one.

I am assuming that they come off quite easy? I'm guessing that it would be best to angle the mirror so that I can get my fingers behind it and just pull! (you can tell I've not done this before).

Many thanks for your advice. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
best way it to not to try to unclip it from the ends, but from the longest edge along the bottom, they do sound like the snap when they eventually pull off

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
No not a fuse for the one mirror that would be daft. As S4 says most likely the glass itself. Tilt the mirror either up or down as far as it will go, put you fingers behind and carefully prise off but take care as they ping off quite suddenly. Detach the two heating wires.

Fitting:- Ease the mirror lugs on rear of mirror (look like curved prongs, one on each diagonal) back into their metal guides and push mirror on until it clicks audibly.

Rgds
JB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so firstly my apologies for not replying sooner.

I took all of your advice and was very easy to get the mirror off. Unfortunately I have anti dazzle mirrors and as you probably all know these are a pretty penny to replace (was quoted approx £300).

I have therefore been searching online for a second hand mirror but with no luck. Considering the bad weather seems to be fading now, I think I will stick with the broken heater element until a cheap replacement becomes available.

Handy to know how easy the mirrors come off though.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK so the cold mornings are now upon us and my A5 has started wearing a nice layer of frost over its beautiful body at night. Unfortunately though, when it comes to taking it off in the morning, all but the Driver's Door Mirror are cleared.

I have the mirror switch in the central position to activate the heated mirrors and indeed this must be working as the passenger mirror clears in a few minutes. However the driver's side does not.

My initial thought was that maybe the heated element of the mirrors may have separate fuses and therefore it is just the drivers which is blown. But do not have a fuse diagram showing anything for the heated mirrors? :wall:

I have tried looking through the forum, but it seems most issues are relating to those who have not set the mirror switch in the correct position.

Can anyone offer any simple explanations as to why this might be and also any guides to how I can fix this myself (just paid out for a service and road tax this month, :music-smiley-019: so could do with an easy DIY fix).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Graham.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts