Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys ordering my new S5 and dealer wanted to know if I would like the new drive select a $2500 option. Does anybody have that option?

Also I am planning to change my wheels to 20x10 DPE still haven't decided which ones. So that said is it just a waist of money getting the drive select or is a great idea since I am going to change the wheels and also install the H R springs...

Thanks in advance..:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Most Audi people that have come back from their internal driver education and track time say Drive Select is a MUST HAVE.

Although I have not driven it, I would concur. We waited a year for it to be offered, so why not take it. It can give you multiple ways to fine tune how it drives for you. compared to the price of the car, it is not a huge amount of money.

I am grateful it is now on the 2009.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
IIRC, there are three versions of drive select available. Also, I have read elsewhere that if you have drive select you cannot currently lower the car using springs as it messes drive select up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
IIRC, there are three versions of drive select available. Also, I have read elsewhere that if you have drive select you cannot currently lower the car using springs as it messes drive select up.
vaksub,Not sure how this works with the S5 but I also read somewhere that on the A5 Drive Select not recommended with 20" wheels. Worth checking out. Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,
I've only done about 1500 miles in my car, mainly freeway driving here in West Australia, where the freeways are quite smooth. I tend to use Comfort mode on the freeway (one thing I hate is that anytime you start the car, it always defaults to Auto mode) ... and to be honest, on the smooth freeway it is only slightly noticeable.

However, I did have the chance to drive the car on a slightly bumpy road and it definitely made much more of a difference between Comfort & Dynamic settings. However, don't expect a 'limo' type of ride. My car sits on the normal 19 inch rims and you can definitely still feel the bumps in Comfort mode, but whereby Dynamic gives that short, hard bump, the Comfort modes gives you way more rebound. I can't say I've pushed the car hard enough to see what the difference is in corner handling between the two. Auto mode apparently self selects depending on your driving style.

I also can override the Engine, Steering and Suspension settings through the MMI, although no one from Audi has been able to tell me exactly the difference between the MMI setting for suspension and doing it via the 3 buttons on the console (ie. what happens if I have suspension set to Comfort in MMI and the dash button has it set to Dynamic?). There just doesn't seem to be anyone that really knows the ins and outs of the system.

Having said that, I'm still very happy I got Drive Select on my car... is it worth $3K ?.. probably not. Not sure if this answer helps you :) .

If you need more specifics, feel free to drop me another message ...
Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have drive select to (only the dampers option), and there is quite a difference between comfort and dinamic. The option affect the dampers, the engine response and the steering.

I paid for this option about 1500 euro's, and I think it worth every cent.

I am also curious about lowering the car ... and if it would affect the drive select.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...I doubt you would be able to have the car lowered at least not in the conventional manner.

...Also does anyone know if Audi ever sorted the problem with Drive select on the A6? It used to wear out and fail at about 40k miles (especially the RS6)... I assume after several years they have sorted this?

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
A guy over on AW has posted graphs depicting the damping and steering response of Audi Drive Select. They are for the B8 A4, but it is speculated they would also apply to the A5 & S5.

I would think this would help ease the complaint that the standard A5/S5 steering is numb at low speeds.

Damping
http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/34529.phtml

Steering
http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/34530.phtml
I don't really understand the damping one, but whatever. Anyways, for the steering one, I think that it would be different on an A5/S5, because I know in the US that servotronic is standard in the A5/S5, but not in the A4. So, I think that the comfort and sport settings would be the same with drive select on the 5, but I don't think that a 5 without drive select would look like the non drive select graph line.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have it on my 09 tip S5. To be honest, I was undecided on whether to buy the option but now that I have it, I think it's one of the best features of the car. It's like having 2 completely different cars: a cushy comfortable ride or the aggressive dynamic mode. Everything from the engine shift points, suspension, steering, and pedal feel changes with these settings.

I highly highly recommend this option.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am not sure of the US configurations, but from Audi AG,
......the A4 3.2 FSI, A4 2.7 TDI and A4 3.0 TDI are equipped with servotronic power steering, with the degree of power assistance dependent on road speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know if the suspension calibration in a stock S5 without Audi Drive Select is equivalent to either the Comfort or Dynamic setting with Audi Drive Select or is it somewhere in between?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Does anyone know if the suspension calibration in a stock S5 without Audi Drive Select is equivalent to either the Comfort or Dynamic setting with Audi Drive Select or is it somewhere in between?
I'd guess it's probobly closest to normal, and maybe leaning slightly towards the dynamic setting. When I get my S5 with drive dynamic, I may be able to better answer that question since I have driven my dealers demo '08 car a few times.

·
Registered
109 Posts
picked up my car yesterday( with Drive Select ).
It makes a world of difference. Live in Boston, MA and the some streets aren't really up to par.
Allowing to switch between Comfort and Dynamic is great for this. My girlfriend even felt the difference.
I think the main thing to ask is what are the conditons of the roads in the area you live and work.

By the way....first day going to work and I had a new BMW M3 next to me and then later on a Porsche. Had to resist. Only 83 miles on the car.
The man upstairs has a good sense of humour :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had all but the rims/exhaust stored at the house....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bevo,
How about some pix? Would love to see how your car looks with the Modulare rims and rear spoiler.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.