Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 've been wondering for some time now whether using the ADS while cruising is OK or not. Considering other things that should not be altered whilst driving (i.e. turning on the Air-Condition when not idle stresses the engine, especially at high speeds or in 4WD cars switching between 2WD and 4WD can only be done up to 90km/h or so) I am not sure if changing from Comfort to Dynamic is OK or not.

Does anyone know about this? The manual says nothing I think

·
Administrator
4,600 Posts
what you say about changing between 4WD and 2WD is true.
that should be in the manual, it usually is.
but there is no harm in using the AC when the enigine is idle.
this would mean, you have to turn it of in big cities, as youmight run in heavy traffic.
changing between Auto and Individual is perfectly OK.
there is nothing in the manual about it.
nor is there something on internet, untill now :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You can do it whenever you want, mid hard acceleration, at idle, cruising on the motorway. The point is you can flick it into dynamic exactly when you want that little more go, it doesn't need to be the entire drive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what you say about changing between 4WD and 2WD is true.
that should be in the manual, it usually is.
but there is no harm in using the AC when the enigine is idle.
this would mean, you have to turn it of in big cities, as youmight run in heavy traffic.
changing between Auto and Individual is perfectly OK.
there is nothing in the manual about it.
nor is there something on internet, untill now :)
About the AC, I meant that it should not be turned-on when at high speeds because this would stress the engine - at least that's what Volvo told a friend of mine. Not sure of course if the same applies to Audi.

Thnks to the both of you for the replies on the ADS, happy to hear the good news ;)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
About the AC, I meant that it should not be turned-on when at high speeds because this would stress the engine - at least that's what Volvo told a friend of mine. Not sure of course if the same applies to Audi.
Sounds like crap to me. If you are driving down the motorway and think, oh I am a bit hot, best pull over and stop to turn on the AC!!! I don't think so! :no: Having visited a Volvo dealership before I bought my A4 Cab a few years back, I got the impression they are not the brightest tools in the box!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sounds like crap to me. If you are driving down the motorway and think, oh I am a bit hot, best pull over and stop to turn on the AC!!! I don't think so! :no: Having visited a Volvo dealership before I bought my A4 Cab a few years back, I got the impression they are not the brightest tools in the box!
I agree with Chris, that is not right at all.

The cars definitely have the ability to power the AC in any circumstances.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What do you exactly mean:

switching between 2WD and 4WD can only be done up to 90km/h or so

??? :yikes:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
On my old 4WD car, it recommended only to change from 2WD/4WD/4WD Lo-Range at a maximum of 30kph! But that was quite old... as in the car was older than me old.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A5 is Quattro = permanent 4WD !!! It is not Haldex like A3/Golf/Octavia !!!

You can't switch between 2WD and 4WD !!! :wall:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A5 is Quattro = permanent 4WD !!! It is not Haldex like A3/Golf/Octavia !!!

You can't switch between 2WD and 4WD !!! :wall:
I don't think the OP was suggesting that the A5 could switch between them, just mentioning that on some cars you can, and therefore did Drive Select behave like this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heheh that is right, I certainly did not mean quattro can go FWD :p

Out of curiosity (and before seeing your latest answers) I asked the dealer and it is true that Audi's A/C can be turned-on at any speed :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts