Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Posted this already over on audiworld but thought you guys might want to take a look at this too.

Check out this review of a <supposed> first US Spec S5 - very nicely done but this is the first I've ever seen regarding this feature - 3 seperate adjustments for Engine / Steering / Suspension for a total of 27 combinations

Not familiar with this but check it out for yourself..

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvAaQ4LuCE

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't think we're getting it on the S5 initially. I believe there may have been the intention early on but it was scraped. In any case, we will know in about two weeks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Guys, Posted this already over on audiworld but thought you guys might want to take a look at this too.

Check out this review of a <supposed> first US Spec S5 - very nicely done but this is the first I've ever seen regarding this feature - 3 seperate adjustments for Engine / Steering / Suspension for a total of 27 combinations

Not familiar with this but check it out for yourself..

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvAaQ4LuCE

Wow, very interesting. This is the first mention of Drive Select on ANY S5, European or US spec. The fact that it actually exists on an S5 already is pretty good news. That would mean the factory may already be tooled up for adding it. Part of me was hoping that these production delays might have been due to adding this feature at manufacturing.

Like Quattrings said.... we'll find out pretty soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 spoke wheel gone (!)

Whoa... look closely at the video and you'll see the 3 spoke steering wheel has been substituted for a 4 spoke one that doesn't look nearly as good. Looks like the same thing that happend to the US spec rs4 :mad:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got off the phone with Audi of America @ 1-800-FOR-AUDI (367-2834. Here is what I was just told, it will not be a part of the S5 as of yet and there are no plans for the following year. He did say that those plans could change but nothing is in the works for it to be available yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just got off the phone with Audi of America @ 1-800-FOR-AUDI (367-2834. Here is what I was just told, it will not be a part of the S5 as of yet and there are no plans for the following year. He did say that those plans could change but nothing is in the works for it to be available yet.
I asked my salesman to check it out last week as well. He called someone at Audi and they said there were no plans for it to be on the A5/S5 at all. But honestly I don't think Audi of America really knows all the details. I wouldn't rule it out yet.

The official press release for the Audi Drive Select technology states that it will be available in 2008 but it does not mention specific models. The press releases for the A4 DOES mention it however.

The strange thing is that how is it that there is an S5 in existence on US soil that has the Audi Drive Select if Audi has no plans to include it on our models. The factory can obviously equip the model. Seems like bad PR to give the media a one off version with things we can't order. Or to include it on the S5 a few months after early deliveries is not cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul Rivera's response

Ok, here is what Paul Rivera, the author of the video said..

"This was a car built in Oct of 2006 and was a pre production vehicle.
It was built to US Spec.
The first wave of S5's I do not think have Drive Select on them.

In fact, this car is a first for any US journalist to drive. It belongs to Audi AG.

The second wave of S5's may have it on it.
So Audi USA is probably being quite coy about the availability of drive select, not wanting the first vehicles to go unsold.

I would wait for the second wave of cars in late spring.

If you go to the Audi.com german site, you can see the options and drive select is on there.

Best of luck
Paul Rivera

-----------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
163 Posts
not wanting the first vehicles to go unsold.

Best of luck
Paul Rivera

I will wait for sure. The teaser brochure at the NYC forum mentioned this and after hearing how this will improve the cars handling and how not to get the car without it for the NYC forum salesman, how can I now NOT wait.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will wait for sure. The teaser brochure at the NYC forum mentioned this and after hearing how this will improve the cars handling and how not to get the car without it for the NYC forum salesman, how can I now NOT wait.
I'm in a similar position. I may just wait since my car has not been built yet. I've put down $4K but it is refundable.

It's not that I think the feature is so revolutionary and I'll totally notice the difference (although who knows for sure at this point) -- it's more about the fact that every A4/S4/A5/S5 etc will have the feature right after I pick up a new car. And I only buy a new car every 3-5 years. I already have an S4... I can wait another 6-9 months I guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in a similar position. I may just wait since my car has not been built yet. I've put down $4K but it is refundable.

It's not that I think the feature is so revolutionary and I'll totally notice the difference (although who knows for sure at this point) -- it's more about the fact that every A4/S4/A5/S5 etc will have the feature right after I pick up a new car. And I only buy a new car every 3-5 years. I already have an S4... I can wait another 6-9 months I guess.
If the wait is just a few months i would wait, that's what i'm doing. My present Audi lease is up in Feb. 08 and I'm going to extend it a few months if I can get this option on the S5. it sounds like very interesting technology and if your keeping the car for 3 or more years a few months wait is no big deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, here is what Paul Rivera, the author of the video said..

"This was a car built in Oct of 2006 and was a pre production vehicle.
It was built to US Spec.
The first wave of S5's I do not think have Drive Select on them.

In fact, this car is a first for any US journalist to drive. It belongs to Audi AG.

The second wave of S5's may have it on it.
So Audi USA is probably being quite coy about the availability of drive select, not wanting the first vehicles to go unsold.

I would wait for the second wave of cars in late spring.

If you go to the Audi.com german site, you can see the options and drive select is on there.

Best of luck
Paul Rivera

If you freeze on the driver's information screen when he points it out, you can see the date of the filming looks like 8/28/2007. Are we to believe that this US spec car was built almost a year ago? And that he was the first to drive one in the US? Many other reviews have been out for a while. Edmunds and Forbes were both out several weeks ago.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you freeze on the driver's information screen when he points it out, you can see the date of the filming looks like 8/28/2007. Are we to believe that this US spec car was built almost a year ago? And that he was the first to drive one in the US? Many other reviews have been out for a while. Edmunds and Forbes were both out several weeks ago.
Well spotted. I thought his email just sounded a bit weird myself, almost like he was trying to do some backtracking.

I thought a few more things were odd -- the video was just posted to youtube which seems like the video was recently shot, and why would you discuss details on video that you knew wouldn't be included on the car? All the S5's I've seen pictured in the US have been red and one meteor gray. Black seems kinda new over here. I went to the German Audi site as he mentioned Drive Select is listed there and order-able for German customers -- there is no mention of it there (at least I couldn't find it). Maybe he knows something we don't, or is just full of shit, who knows. Anyway I still have a sliver of hope but not much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well spotted. I thought his email just sounded a bit weird myself, almost like he was trying to do some backtracking.

I thought a few more things were odd -- the video was just posted to youtube which seems like the video was recently shot, and why would you discuss details on video that you knew wouldn't be included on the car? All the S5's I've seen pictured in the US have been red and one meteor gray. Black seems kinda new over here. I went to the German Audi site as he mentioned Drive Select is listed there and order-able for German customers -- there is no mention of it there (at least I couldn't find it). Maybe he knows something we don't, or is just full of shit, who knows. Anyway I still have a sliver of hope but not much.
You're right about the red and meteor grey. Edmunds, Fordes and Road and Track reviews were all of a red car with silver interior. Road and Track was a meteor grey with silver interior. I did go to the german site and Drive Select is clearly listed as an option.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You're right about the red and meteor grey. Edmunds, Fordes and Road and Track reviews were all of a red car with silver interior. Road and Track was a meteor grey with silver interior. I did go to the german site and Drive Select is clearly listed as an option.
I went to the audi.de website, and went through the configurator, drive select was not an option - they did have side assist and lane assist options though (not available when i ordered mine)

·
Registered
163 Posts

Right. Why get a car when in 2 months ALL S5 will be able to get it. I want the car and will get it, but won't be a sap either.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Rght with no mention of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think there is a general consensus that drive select and torque vectoring won't be on the first batch of 08 A5/S5's but probably be incorporated later on. I'm not sure how long AOA might take but when the 09 A4's arrives the A5/S5's should have it.

Most likely it will be a standard feature since the 09 A4's will have it as standard.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am not waiting. Spoke with Audi and was told that this option would not be available until 2009 when the New A4 is released. Then in a few months it will trickle to other audi models. So it is at least a year off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.