Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at stoptech rotors, Any feedback on Drilled vs Slotted rotors for a S5 Cab?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Whatever pleases your sense of aesthetics. Just keep in mind that if you switch from stock plain rotors to after-market you're doing it for the looks only - there is NO performance gain to be had be switching from stock to either slotted or drilled. On the down side you may experience increased wear of brake pads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would say, if you must have one then slotted are more aligned with fast road use.. Where drilled are for fast heat dissipation under heavy braking, normally during race conditions where rotor life is less of a concern.. Slotted may offer less glazing and gas dissipation. Will this make much difference to your braking on the road, likely not.. Track day use may see advantages, but pads will drive benefits if you move away from OEM compounds. Curved slots are also supposed to generate less noise under heavy breaking.. So all up it's aesthetic in my view also. Personally I went for both as I think they look nice :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever pleases your sense of aesthetics. Just keep in mind that if you switch from stock plain rotors to after-market you're doing it for the looks only - there is NO performance gain to be had be switching from stock to either slotted or drilled. On the down side you may experience increased wear of brake pads.
I Was under the impression that slotted/drilled rotors would help reduce brake dust (With a good ceramic pad). I could care less about the looks to be honest, though the drilled rotors are nice

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have had both and just recently placed slotted on my car because the drilled after close inspection showed cracks around the holes and most of the holes were filled with brake material. Joey whatever you prefer is what it comes down to. Give my parts guy a call he get you what you need. [email protected].
His name is kris

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had both and just recently placed slotted on my car because the drilled after close inspection showed cracks around the holes and most of the holes were filled with brake material. Joey whatever you prefer is what it comes down to. Give my parts guy a call he get you what you need. [email protected].
His name is kris
Thanks Scott, do you think the cracks came from all the hard pushing on the track? I will try him out!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
No it's consistent with drilled rotors. When you remove so much material you weaken the integrity of the rotor. Go with slotted.

Reactions: Joeydroptop

·
Registered
62 Posts
No it's consistent with drilled rotors. When you remove so much material you weaken the integrity of the rotor. Go with slotted.
+1

With very few exceptions, you should avoid drilled rotors. They are no longer a necessity with the brake materials of this day and age, and most of my friends who ran drilled rotors eventually had cracks (we track our cars).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've always preferred slotted with internal curved vane over drilled (both of which exist for added heat dissipation, not lowering of brake dust). The drilled can significantly weaken the rotor if not properly engineered (as could the slotted of course, but moreso poorly designed drilled).

Hawk Performance Ceramic pads afford low dust and noise and have excellent anti-fade properties, but you do loose a bit of "bite" over say their High Performance Street (HPS) pads.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've always preferred slotted with internal curved vane over drilled (both of which exist for added heat dissipation, not lowering of brake dust). The drilled can significantly weaken the rotor if not properly engineered (as could the slotted of course, but moreso poorly designed drilled).

Hawk Performance Ceramic pads afford low dust and noise and have excellent anti-fade properties, but you do loose a bit of "bite" over say their High Performance Street (HPS) pads.
Think im going to just stay neautral and run stock flat rotors with Akebono low dust pads, This is giving me a headache as i no nothing about rotors and pads!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Think im going to just stay neautral and run stock flat rotors with Akebono low dust pads, This is giving me a headache as i no nothing about rotors and pads!!
Dude, super easy solution...get some Brembo BBK! It comes with everything you need so no thinking on your part!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
The stock rotors are very good, as are the 2011 and on OEM ceramic-based pads (presumed, as mine are low dust and quiet).

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you compare drilled rotors and slotted rotors, Drilled Rotors are designed for everyday use. It contain holes that aid in water escape and are best used in wet and stormy circumstances. Meanwhile, Brake dust and other particles are shaved off by slots in Slotted rotors. They are the finest for street performance. Plan ahead and buy replacement parts so you can replace your old brake pads and rotors before they fail.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
In my opinion and experience you need simply GOOD QUALITY rotors and pads. I choose Brembo but ANY good brand is fine ensure that you purchase discs and pads from the same manufacturer.

Reactions: Jessaaa17

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Drilled to look good and are standard on high end models! They are known for cracking around the holes, BUT this is normally due to high temps, like on track etc So if you are not going to track or abuse your brakes, then drilled are good.

Most say slotted are the best all rounder, no cracking, but still wipe/clear gases, dust from the surface of the pads.

But As Simon says, a decent pad will give you the performance with plain discs.

J hook discs are the latest technology as they don't give the hum of some slotted/grooved discs and none of the 'ppffft' fluttery noises of drilled discs.

I went for Q5 Brembo 4 pots, EBC Yellowstuff pads and USR discs. Can't fault them. Just a bit dusty, but I wanted performance over dustless. I had ceramic redstuff on my 3.0 tdi and they had very little dust, but for a tuned S5, Yellowstuff is recommended.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Wise words Dave!!! Agreed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts