Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I honestly do not know why they are so expensive and tbh, I wanted one badly too but now Ive got one, meh, I don't see what all the fuss is about lol. Guess I got used to it and it does take a little getting used to at first when you do full circles with it lol.

Which one person wanted to spank mine let alone everyone lol

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Good news is that my wheel bearings are fine, so the culprit looks to be the tyres. Obviously always going to be a risk fitting part worn tyres (especially if they are from Ben who tunes his cars to silly speeds :p). I think these Pirellis are known for being noisy anyway, and the slight feathering to them is just compounding that...

Swapped the wheels around to see if that helped and it definitely made a difference. Its only really noisy on bad tarmac, and even then its just slightly louder than standard road noise. Was going to have a look at getting new ones, but theres so much tread left in these that I am just going to leave them until they need replacing. Hopefully as I wear them own more the noise will improve.

Also, my money has to go to fixing my stupid mistake jacking up my car... :(

Dented my door sill pretty bad. Got quotes from body shops and it seems that getting it replaced was the only real solution and would need insurance involved so decided against that and will instead look to get some Audi side skirts to cover up instead. Will repair the chipped paint and make sure its all rust proof then attach the skirts.

My only worry is that it will look uneven around the car since my model is just the sport one, so may need to look into s-line front bumper and something for the read bumper...

Of course I could just leave it since its hardly noticeable (slight indent when you look at the bottom sill line) but we all know my OCD will get the better of me...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Good news on the bearings but not on the tyres. I guess I was just used to the sound and knew no difference :(

But what the heck did you do to your car with a jack?? Have I missed a post somewhere???? :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gutted mate!! if its so small couldnt you just get a smart repair done in that local area? At least you have eliminated any costly mechanical fault

Its a slippery slope once you start modding the outside lol, you will always say "if i do that, i will need to do that"!! thats how i started!!

I have to admit i have 20" wheels on mine with Muichelin Pilots and there is quite a lot of road noise depending on road surface! we seem to be resuracing the roads around us with this grit they just throw on top of tarmac and the general trafiic seems to level it out! and its as rough as hell and it makes it a very noisey ride!!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Chris, I got some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my next set of wheels to see what they are like as every one says how good they are but I suspect a lot of it is "they are expensive so are better than the rest" or just blindly following others lol. Most people don't even get tyres warm enough to notice the difference between a good or bad tyre I would suspect?

Should be on by the end off the month so can compare against the new P Zero's I have on now which are exceptional I have to say.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Good news on the bearings but not on the tyres. I guess I was just used to the sound and knew no difference :(

But what the heck did you do to your car with a jack?? Have I missed a post somewhere???? :(
Nah didn't miss any post...felt too stupid/gutted to post about it! Just dented the front of the sill underneath just behind the front wheel. Cant imagine its anything but cosmetic damage. Had a few body shops look at it and no mention of serious damage.

Local repair was about as expensive as the new side skirts so would rather do that, as there was no guarantee that the local repair will look much better/ be to a standard I am happy with.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Could be way off, but could it be that you had your car lowered? I seem to remember that unless you have the adjustable top mount, you can get a slightly off camber angle, which I guess could lead to uneven tyre wear?

So now they are on my car, which I think has good alignment (getting that checked on Sat!) its now causing odd noises?

In my completely novice and ignorant mind, that could explain why you didn't get any noise and I did? lol

Its not a big deal really. Will just use them until I need to replace and get new ones :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have to admit Ben i think most of the noise i get is from the road surface its self, if i get nice smooth tarmac its as quiet as a mouse no droaning or humming, its just the tight arse local councils around here cutting corners!! I would be interested to hear your comparrison though, i am not ready for tyres yet (hopefully for a while at the cost) but when i am it would be good to know what i have are as good as i can get (or not and change to another)

I am suprised a smart repair is so expensive if its so small! i think to replace the sill is quite a big job mate, such a shame, RS5 side skirts it is then :p lol..

We have all done it with the jack, i know i have on several occassions, my error on teh older cars has been using the trolly jack and jacking where you think is OK and finding its totally not when you have crusshed the underside! touch wood i havent done it in many years but its easily done mate so dont be so hard on yourself

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Nah didn't miss any post...felt too stupid/gutted to post about it! Just dented the front of the sill underneath just behind the front wheel. Cant imagine its anything but cosmetic damage. Had a few body shops look at it and no mention of serious damage.

Local repair was about as expensive as the new side skirts so would rather do that, as there was no guarantee that the local repair will look much better/ be to a standard I am happy with.
I can understand that mate :(

Could be way off, but could it be that you had your car lowered? I seem to remember that unless you have the adjustable top mount, you can get a slightly off camber angle, which I guess could lead to uneven tyre wear?

So now they are on my car, which I think has good alignment (getting that checked on Sat!) its now causing odd noises?

In my completely novice and ignorant mind, that could explain why you didn't get any noise and I did? lol

Its not a big deal really. Will just use them until I need to replace and get new ones :p
I run these before and after I dropped them and had them on the A5 but can't even remember when I first put them on if I thought they were louder or not over the stock 17's??

I have to admit Ben i think most of the noise i get is from the road surface its self, if i get nice smooth tarmac its as quiet as a mouse no droaning or humming, its just the tight arse local councils around here cutting corners!! I would be interested to hear your comparrison though, i am not ready for tyres yet (hopefully for a while at the cost) but when i am it would be good to know what i have are as good as i can get (or not and change to another)
Well Im interested too lol. Always see when people ask for recommendations Mich PSS because they the best. OK, why and best for what and what makes you say that. They go around the local roundabout better than the last set you had? I do admit that my PS3's that came on the car were good even from cold where the P Zero's Doc now has had to warm up a little before you could push them but these newer P Zero's are epic from the off and this is why I can't wait for the PSS to go on. Im so hoping its the middle of the month and not the end ;)

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
The sun reveals all!

So as I mentioned in another thread, had a go polishing the bonnet. Only had time to do one half, but its good to see how it compares against the other side.

it was a 3-stage job:
1. V34 & MF cutting pad
2. V36 & Orange Hex pad
3. Merzerna SF4500 & Black Hex pad

Before:

After:

So after thinking it didn't do much, in the sun you can see I've got most of the swirls out :) Still a minor bit of holograming, so will need to refine it a little more. Do you think more stage 2 and 3, or just stage 3 to get rid of holograms?

In an attempt to do this in 2-stages, and in quicker time, I included a bottle of Scholl Concepts S3 Gold in my latest order for more fallout remover, as I've read good things about its ability to cut harder clear coats. Hoping that will do stage 1 & 2 much quicker and then I can just follow-up with Merzerna final polish. When I do the whole car, that will save me hours!! Will do a test spot and see :)

After all this, going to apply Gtechniq C1 and then should have lovely paint!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Looking good Lewis!
I haven't had time to think about washing mine recently, let alone actually clean it haha. Plus the S5 is still on the cards ;)

Sorry to hear about the jack incident mate, hopefully you get it all sorted soon.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looking much better, I didn't understand half what you said but sounded great lol ;-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got my facelift gear stick through the post.

Very easy swap and looks miles better! Got it off eBay and was brand new shipped from Germany.

Make sure the part number begins in 8K2 as this denotes RHD. 8K1 is LHD.

The old one...

The new one...

To install took me less than 5mins. Used my trusty 40p plastic clay modelling tool to undo the 4 clips (2 on each side). Then pull gator up and expose the metal clip. Undo the clip and pull button out while pulling up to remove old stick. Simply push new stick on. Make sure it is firmly seated and then release the button from the plastic clip and push in gator surround.

Update on wheels. Local garage thinks its the tyres so going to swap over the front two for the back two and see if noise is still there/moves to the back. Will let you know how I get on!
Loving that gear shift where did you get and how much was it and can I get one for my 2008 A5
Sorry for all the questions lol

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Loving that gear shift where did you get and how much was it and can I get one for my 2008 A5
Sorry for all the questions lol
No problem!

Was looking at getting one second hand to save money, but then a eBay seller popper up that was selling them brand new, ordered directly from Germany at a decent price. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have it listed anymore!

Used they are about £50-£80 depending on condition. I bought mine for £135 (got 10% off from eBay through a promotion they were running).

Cant see why it wouldn't fit an 08 A5.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Looking much better, I didn't u dee stand half what you said but sounded great lol ;-)
Haha cheers Chris. You're alright, barely see swirls and scratches on white paint!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome job on the paint correction mate!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Haha cheers Chris. You're alright, barely see swirls and scratches on white paint!

Lol that is very true but when in the light you can see everything!! But no where near as much as other cars. Mine is currently at the details being sorted and sealed so will post the results when I pick it up next week

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The sun reveals all!

So as I mentioned in another thread, had a go polishing the bonnet. Only had time to do one half, but its good to see how it compares against the other side.

it was a 3-stage job:
1. V34 & MF cutting pad
2. V36 & Orange Hex pad
3. Merzerna SF4500 & Black Hex pad

Before:

After:

So after thinking it didn't do much, in the sun you can see I've got most of the swirls out :) Still a minor bit of holograming, so will need to refine it a little more. Do you think more stage 2 and 3, or just stage 3 to get rid of holograms?

In an attempt to do this in 2-stages, and in quicker time, I included a bottle of Scholl Concepts S3 Gold in my latest order for more fallout remover, as I've read good things about its ability to cut harder clear coats. Hoping that will do stage 1 & 2 much quicker and then I can just follow-up with Merzerna final polish. When I do the whole car, that will save me hours!! Will do a test spot and see :)

After all this, going to apply Gtechniq C1 and then should have lovely paint!
With your colour car swirls etc will be much easier to see than on my white car and you never see my grey car which was as amazing in the flesh as it was in the pics ;) With the right compounds a 2 stage will be adequate and I now found that to be a MF cutting pad with Megs correction compound then a final buff with Black Diamond from LE and a finishing foam pad.
On the grey car I didn't use Megs so it was a little more difficult but got the results in the end. If your getting holograms after you final stage then your final stage has something wrong. Either the finishing compound is to abrasive or the pad is too hard.

This car used LE Crystal Rock in the end with a hard foam pad and then Black Diamond with a soft finishing foam pad. Took a while to get there as was learning on that car.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts