Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the torque spec on the drain plug for the 3.2L V6?

Gonna do an oil change, and 'just make it tight' from the service department doesn't settle well.

Searched A5OC & AW forums; doesn't seem like many people are doing their own oil changes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
"just make it tight" is probably what most service departments for all car manufacturers use worldwide. As long as oil is not leaking out I don't see how it could make any difference - there is no wear/tear or other pressure on it as opposed to, say, wheel bolts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as oil is not leaking out I don't see how it could make any difference.
I used to think the same thing until I torqued my mom's '02 Jetta drain plug to my '99 A4 specs (newer 1.8T motor). No visible drip at oil change, but had a slow oil leak until I tightened it to the Jetta service manual specs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
avoid the plug

or you could suck/pump the oil out from the top and save yourself the problem of going under the car at all

·
Registered
677 Posts
I did my own. "Just make it tight" is normally correct. I forget the size of the bolt. However 125 in/lbs. should be fine if you need an actual value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The drain plug torque value serves 2 purposes: 1) minimizes chances of an oil leak as well as the drain plug backing out, and 2) prevents stripping of the drain plug threads. "Just make it tight" is a recipe for disaster. There has to be an Audi torque spec somewhere. I keep looking for a service manual, with no luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Marc, Bentley makes a DVD-rom repair manual for 2008 and 2009 A5 and S5. It is available for about $130 from Bentley Publishers though I got one on Amazon for $90. It states the oil drain plug torque as 30nm for a 2008-09 v6 A5 motor. The oil filter cover is 25nm. These specs are for 08-09, but I don't see why 2010 v6 should be any different. It's what I used on mine when I changed the oil.

The manual is not a simple plug and play though. I had to deactivate my anti virus software and do a couple other tweaks to get it to work on my computer. They have a help/faq section which gets the DVD up and running if you have problems viewing the data.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2.0T and the oil filter is redily available from the top, not sure where yours is.

With my arrangement, I decided to get an oil extractor which allows me to change the oil without removing the belly pan. I haven't actually done it yet so I can't report how well it works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 3.2 oil filter is readily available on the top as well. 36mm socket for the cap, though it helps to wrap a couple passes of electrical tape around it before applying the socket so as not to leave marks on the plastic filter cover when loosening it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts