Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, being a recent newcomer to the Audi scene and having never had a car with a DPF before, I have a query/question. My A5 is a 2.0 ultra se coupe, in these strange times I am only using my car to go to work and back which is an 18 mile trip each way on twisty "A" roads with several speed restrictions along the way. I work 12 hour shifts so the car literally does a 25 minute drive at an average of 40mph then sits in a car park for 12 hours before doing the same on the way home, long story short- am I likely to damage the DPF and if so, what can I do to minimise the risk, bearing in mind that with the police around I can't go for a blast on a dual carriageway or motorway. Thanks to anyone who replies.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Most likely the DPF will clog up faster than normal. Another possibility is your car will run really hot more often as the car tries to burn off the DPF.

If you can, take a nice long drive on the weekends at highway speeds at 2000 - 3000 rpm. Alternatively, you may consider DPF conditioners additives to your fuel tank. I believe LiquiMoly makes one. They're usually pretty good products. Read all instructions before use.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You can also do a manual DPF Regen (when parked) if you have either OBD11 or VCDS.
Have a look at this thread:
DPF Regen when parked using OBD eleven device

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If the DPF light comes on, then take it for a good drive, but not until May 7th after lockdown ;)

My old A5 3.0tdi used to do a regen during my short 10 miles commute to work and was fine.

Also, I found the DPF regens were less frequent when using V-Power diesel from Shell. I've seen, albeit older diesels, failing MOT emission testing or issues with DPF and EGR valves when supermarket fuel is only used.

On my A5, I knew when it was regening as the revs raised at idle by about 150rpm, sometimes accompanied with the rad fans and being auto it would only change into 2nd gear at 2250rpm, normally it would be 1800rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
As mentioned above there are several DPF cleaners on the market. I use Redex or STP quite often in my cars and bikes and I think that they really do help to keep things clean.......

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Don't bother with additives. They generally are used to modify the temperature at which the soot burns, which is beneficial for cars that passive regen. Most VAG diesels, including the A5 don't do this except for in extreme circumstances (towing, or sustained very heavy load).
The only side effects from your driving style is more common regens, so you'll be wasting more fuel than usual. Otherwise don't worry about it. I ran a 3.0TDI on a 4 mile commute for a year while checking the health of the DPF every single day, no problems at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't bother with additives. They generally are used to modify the temperature at which the soot burns, which is beneficial for cars that passive regen. Most VAG diesels, including the A5 don't do this except for in extreme circumstances (towing, or sustained very heavy load).
The only side effects from your driving style is more common regens, so you'll be wasting more fuel than usual. Otherwise don't worry about it. I ran a 3.0TDI on a 4 mile commute for a year while checking the health of the DPF every single day, no problems at all.
Spot on, a lot of people don't understand how the dpf actually works.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys- I am one of those people :unsure:. In my defence though its the first car I've owned that has a DPF. Anyway I now have a much bigger problem- "STEERING DEFECTIVE- DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE" fault on car with red warning light and car wont start. So DPF not really bothering me now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts