Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Dpe S-10

Votes: 10 35.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which of these three sets of rim's would you prefer most on an Ibis White A5, note that all rims would be 20 in., have a brushed aluminum look finish, 3.5 rear lip and 2.5 front, and a chrome lip.

The first picture is of the HRE 890's, the second of the DPE R07, and the third of the DPE S-10

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The HRE is far superior when it comes to build quality as I just went to HRE from DPE.
As far as the syle themselves, I prefer the 890R. The deeper dish and more complex wheel design looks fantastic on the car....trust me. :)
The R07 looks very mechanical and angular when looked at directly from the side, and the S-10 is too common.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i prefer hre for the brand itself but for the design i love the dpe s10 althou it is very common

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like the HRE's. Also look at the 790's and the P40's. Both are similar in design, but will give you some other HRE options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Which of these three sets of rim's would you prefer most on an Ibis White A5, note that all rims would be 20 in., have a brushed aluminum look finish, 3.5 rear lip and 2.5 front, and a chrome lip.

The first picture is of the HRE 890's, the second of the DPE R07, and the third of the DPE S-10

The HRE 890's would look great on the A5. Especially in the finish that you are looking to get.

Have you considered the 790R? It will give you a bigger lip if that is something you are looking for as well.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I just noticed your lip sizes. Why the weaksauce on an HRE????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bandar,
This is Marc with HRE. Call me or email me and I can send you pictures of our wheels on A5/S5. I have a few in the data base. Let me know what you are looking for and I can see what type of fitment I can custom build for you.

Marc Correll
[email protected]
760-597-2002
West Coast Sales Manager

·
Registered
457 Posts
The HRE is far superior when it comes to build quality as I just went to HRE from DPE.
As far as the syle themselves, I prefer the 890R. The deeper dish and more complex wheel design looks fantastic on the car....trust me. :)
The R07 looks very mechanical and angular when looked at directly from the side, and the S-10 is too common.
Where I live, HREs are more predominant than any other wheel maker. Commonly sited are: 840s, 790s, 890s, 590s and any of the monoblocks. They look good, but too common.

I can count at least 20 cars alone in the garage with HREs, and I'm the only guy with DPEs. I migrated in an opposite direction from you; from HRE to DPE.

Its just my own opinion, but HREs are over-rated for the price-pt. Always the question of how much you are willing to pay for brand recognition vs performance and vice versa, esp. in such a saturated market full of options.

They are all made of the same grade of aluminum, so if you think HREs are any stronger than any other forged aluminum wheel then think again. This competition wheel built for racing just cracked and the guy doesn't even race / track his car nor did he hit some pothole etc:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/audi/147813-hres-off-oem.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What separates HRE is not the aluminum grade or amount of magnesium in the wheel. It's the finish out. Each hub bolt has an HRE logo emblazoned on it, there are no surface imperfections whatsoever, the color match on each wheel is perfect, etc. More importantly, they are also true 3 piece wheels that can be broken down and re-finished. DPE you have to live with what you got because they are not true multi-piece wheels.

Are they a bit over-priced? Yep. But they are still the best quality wheel money can buy and that's just about universally accepted.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bandar,
This is Marc with HRE. Call me or email me and I can send you pictures of our wheels on A5/S5. I have a few in the data base. Let me know what you are looking for and I can see what type of fitment I can custom build for you.
Well that sums up it up pretty much that HRE is the best company, i mean i wasnt even asking for anything except opinions and already someone from HRE willing to send me some pictures and build me some wheels:D

And i was trippin earlier if i get the HRE's which i probably will I'll get a 4 in. lip in the rear and 2.5 in the front

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where I live, HREs are more predominant than any other wheel maker. Commonly sited are: 840s, 790s, 890s, 590s and any of the monoblocks. They look good, but too common.

I looked up the 590r's and they look the same to me as the 890r's, whats the difference:confused:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I looked up the 590r's and they look the same to me as the 890r's, whats the difference:confused:
590R- Deep Lip w/ rivets
790R- Ultra Deep Lip w/Rivets :cool:
890R- Deep Lip w/o Rivets

·
Registered
457 Posts
Other than price? hahaha
Visible rivets vs hidden rivets is the other. :cool:

And don't listen to sizzle, that fruitloop never bought the signature series DPE; those have the added details, including etched rivets etc etc.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Other than price? hahaha

And don't listen to sizzle, that fruitloop never bought the signature series DPE; those have the added details, including etched rivets etc etc.
And don't forget the "signature" welded barrel that doesn't allow them to be broken down and re-finished like a real multi-piece wheel....:p

·
Registered
457 Posts
And don't forget the "signature" welded barrel that doesn't allow them to be broken down and re-finished like a real multi-piece wheel....:p
i must've gotten special wheels then, I don't see any spot welds on mine.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
i must've gotten special wheels then, I don't see any spot welds on mine.
Look at the inner barrel where the "rivets" are. The rivets connect only the top piece but aren't actually holding the rim together. The entire lip of the barrel is welded. That's why DPE wheels can't be broken down and re-finished. Call DPE and ask them. They don't hide the fact they they're not true multi-piece wheels.
Sorry buddy.......;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Other than price? hahaha

The 890R and the 590R are the same price

·
Registered
457 Posts
Look at the inner barrel where the "rivets" are. The rivets connect only the top piece but aren't actually holding the rim together. The entire lip of the barrel is welded. That's why DPE wheels can't be broken down and re-finished. Call DPE and ask them. They don't hide the fact they they're not true multi-piece wheels.
Sorry buddy.......;)
So you're saying HRE is over-charging by at least double for custom finishes, since they are more easily taken apart than DPE wheels and that you're willingly letting them take your money out of your hands like a rattle from a baby?

Haha guys im just fucking around. Get what makes u happy and fits ur needs; from looks-oriented purposes to performance-oriented purposes, do your research, pick ur faves, buy it, get on with life...life's just too short.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok before you two have another bitch fit:D
i don't know sheeet about wheels what are rivets:confused:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
So you're saying HRE is over-charging by at least double for custom finishes, since they are more easily taken apart than DPE wheels and that you're willingly letting them take your money out of your hands like a rattle from a baby?
Yep....:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts