Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

DOT vs E-code cut-off comparison?

14K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Audistic 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any pics comparing US (DOT) spec HID cutoff against a wall versus the E-code? I would imagine the E-code has a straighter line with less light above it, but I'm curious how much difference there actually is.

#3 ·
"E-Codes" is a term used in the U.S. to describe European-spec headlamps that lack an orange reflector. All cars in the U.S. must reflect orange from the front flanks, and project an orange forward indicator. The European-spec light projection/beam pattern is also somewhat different from the U.S.-spec. I'd assume that the U.S. is the anomaly, with the rest of the world getting essentially the same Euro-spec headlamp.

#5 ·
Wow. I had no idea about all these details. Really cool.

BTW, mine should be in next week. Maybe I can shoot a photo or two for you. You'll just have to wait about 2 weeks though.

#7 ·
I also recall that the sharper cut-off on "e-codes" is due tigher specs on the amount of light directed towards on-comming traffic lane.

I remember when I first moved to America from Germany looking at the cars on the freeway and seeing how there was so much light directed at you - its still that way to some extent.

#8 ·
Anyone have some analysis on before and after A5 pics?

#9 ·
I'm going to help ranger22 install his e-codes this weekend. I'll try to take some comparison shots of his US spec headlights (before the install) and my installed e-codes.

#10 ·
Euro vs. US spec headlight beam spread

I helped ranger22 install his e-codes tonight. Prior to the install, we took some comparison shots of his US spec headlights and my e-codes against a wall. We really couldn't tell that much of a difference in the beam spreads when viewing them on the wall.

I'll let ranger comment on his thoughts about the e-codes after driving home with them newly installed.

Attachments

#11 ·
First off, thanks to Tx for helping me out with the ecode install. There's nothing particularly difficult about switching out these lights, but it is a tedious process.

Anyways, the pics above demonstrate that there isn't much difference when you compare the lights against the wall. From driving home after the install, it seemed to me like the ecodes are aimed slightly higher (though this might be a function of the adjustments for aiming the lights) and the beams seem to spread out more to the sides. I was surprised to notice this effect, so maybe it is my imagination. In all, I don't think the difference is drastic enough to really determine the difference between the two unless you are looking for it.

#12 ·
Interesting -- I think the general trend is away from the rainbow flicker, which is too bad because most enthusiasts think it's pretty cool.

I'm on an HID/LED retrofit forum and a lot of folks go through a lot of trouble to modify thier light patterns. Attached are before/after pics of someone with an Infinity FX who swapped the lens portion of their projector with one from a Cadillac XLR. Note the colorband difference and sharper cutoff (responsible for the colorful flicker).

Attachments

#16 ·
Sorry to revive this thread, but yes, I was curious about how the levelling would appear drivers vs. passenger side. For my S2000 the HID's also have this "prism" optic cutoff... It's nice. But also the light arc is slightly more wedged, and supposedly this is to accommodate oncoming traffic (or so I heard). So I wondering if the E-code lights were inverted... I guess not. Very helpful thread!

#13 ·
every time I see this thread it makes me think suprablur is staring at his headlights saying things like "Give me more rainbow effect damn it! You are letting me down with the cut off line! You call that a spread?"

#14 ·
What can I say, I'm a lighting geek.

#15 ·
Hmm... in comparison to SupraBlur's photos of the DOT spec and EEC spec lights, our UK lights are similar to the DOT light pattern (albeit, the left side is higher as we drive on the left side of the road). But out lights are meant to comply with EU regulations.

We don't have such an obvious upper cut-off line. The light does bleed up beyond the cut-off line which helps a lot for seeing unlit signs. In the UK, the only signs required to be lit by law are "terminator" speed signs. The rest normally remain unlit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.