Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
[/quote]Lining up the barrel lock as in trying to get the torx screw into it through the side of the door?[/QUOTE]

No not the screw, that’s easy enough. I’m having trouble lining up the end of the arm that is attached to the key lock into the other side of the door. It has a slot which the arm goes into but when I insert the lock the arm drops down and it’s a nightmare to line it up. Was wondering if I was missing something or if it was just trial and error. I’ll give it another go later. Just rolling around with non functional key lock at the moment as the arm is just dangling somewhere inside the door ?.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did mine Friday with cheap Chinese ones ($15 each!) and worked great. Thanks to the OP for the how-to, without it I probably would've just said screw it and used the fob!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did mine Friday with cheap Chinese ones ($15 each!) and worked great. Thanks to the OP for the how-to, without it I probably would've just said screw it and used the fob!
I used 6 bucks ones (they read continental just like oem) and after few months still working.

Lähetetty minun SM-G965F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
453 Posts
Im also using the cheapo ones, its been some time and are working fine (can't say how long, you'll have to go back in the thread if its that important!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Man this thread has got some good mileage. 6 years and counting?

I had sensors doing a gradual fail. First the drivers side lock sensor stopped working (but still unlocked), then unlocking failed too. All the while the passenger side was working. Then later that gave up too so I was left manually using the remote like a caveman.

So after reading the great guide by the OP purchased two cheap replacement sensors and had everything working again about an hour after unpacking them. Why so long? The passenger side took like 5 minutes once I knew what I was doing. On the drivers side, the removal was easy enough, as was replacing the sensor itself but when I re-installed the handle the door wouldn't open and I spent ages trying to figure out why it seemed to be jammed (mechanically, not the lock). While I was testing that I hadn't fully screwed everything back in and it was only when I gave up and screwed it together properly that it magically opened as it should. I couldn't figure out how that securing screw was otherwise preventing from the handle from working in its partially re-assembled state.

One final twist was that the sensors didn't come back to life after all that until I did a scan and cleared the faults. Then they magically came to life too.

Thanks to everyone who has provided information in this thread.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does the plastic piece on the drivers side (with the lock) just pull out the same as the piece on the passenger side?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got the sensors changed over pretty easily, no issues, must have fluked the lock as went back in almost first time. The old ones were cracked and full of water as in previous pics.

Advanced key still isn't working though unfortunately, Santa is bringing me OBDeleven so will need to wait for then for a scan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go through a few off and on cycles, I had the same issue and then it started working flawlessly. Mind you I cleared the error with OBDEleven as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Go through a few off and on cycles, I had the same issue and then it started working flawlessly. Mind you I cleared the error with OBDEleven as well.
Same here. No specific VCDS coding required. Just cleared the fault codes and was good to go for both remote key fobs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dunno it if applies to the handle sensors but I read for some other faults, for protection the system will stop power going to those parts once it detects a fault. Might be that whatever particular fault the car detected, the handles won't have power until the codes are cleared (clutching at straws here).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dunno it if applies to the handle sensors but I read for some other faults, for protection the system will stop power going to those parts once it detects a fault. Might be that whatever particular fault the car detected, the handles won't have power until the codes are cleared (clutching at straws here).
I believe you may be referring to a low battery condition where it starts shutting down less vital systems to conserve power.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I cleared the codes with OBDeleven this morning and when I walked up to the car and put my hand on the handle you could hear it doing something but it wouldn't open...it worked once randomly but it's not doing anything consistently.

Fault code is 03287 - open circuit/short circuit to B+ - a bit of Googling shows this to be a sensor problem, but there's two new sensors in it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Took the sensors back out and cleaned them with contact cleaner, had no error code for a bit after this but it seemed to stop working again after trying the passenger side - there's an exposed wire there - reckon it could be this?

IMG_20181228_155720 by wjheenan, on Flickr

Managed to get in and out the car a few times using it, bit of a knack to locking it it seems but was pretty useful not having to use the key to open it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Current working theory is that I got the newer B type sensors and these aren't compatible with the older modules, which specifically need 4G8927753A sensors. Would be an annoying but easy fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cant seem to get out the plastic pin from the passenger side door, its no locking barrel there just this plastic cup/insert. The screw on the side of the door does nothing, its loose and i cant remove it and it seems like its jamming the insert in a way anyway - and i cant get this thing out.. I need to replace the keyless entry sensor in the handle:( Any tips?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got replacement A sensors through, fitted them earlier and everything seems to work as expected now - have been in and out the car a few times, no faults showing, car locks and unlocks as it should.

The first pair of sensors I got were just 4G8 927 753 (no A printed on them) and didn't work properly - the lock function didn't always work, and after one or two locking/unlocking cycles they would throw a 'open circuit/short circuit to B+' error.

Don't know if it's only earlier A5s that need the A sensors, but if you get replacements and they don't work, it might be worth bearing in mind.

There's a couple of differences in the parts - pics attached. The one with the pink/peach parts is the A sensor.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 168 Posts