Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hope these pics help to explain what I was meaning.

When putting the sensor back in put wire in first from the end nearest where the blank part was.

Prise small screw driver where#1 is to remove the sensor it's just to release the tabs on either side of it as per pic above with the arrow.
Well I used the link for the Chinese senors - I bought 2.
I tackled the passenger's side first and after almost two hours finally figured everything out and installed the sensor.
When I removed the driver's side (LHD A5) the key lock bolt assembly came out quite easily compared the passenger's side plastic plug.
However the sensor itself is different. I was lead to believe the sensors on both sides were identical and they are not.
Did anyone else run into this same situation?
Is there a different part number for the driver's side?
Is there a link to the driver's side sensor from China source on ebay?

Top - Chinese sensor
Bottom - OEM driver's side sensor

Top - Chinese (Passenger's side) sensor
Bottom - OEM Driver's side sensor

Top - OEM Driver's side sensor
Bottom - Chinese (Passenger's side) sensor

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 2009 S5 and I loosened the torex screw until it stopped but the plastic cover will not come off. It is loose and moves just won't pop off. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Issue Removing Door Handle

Does anyone have any tips or techniques to take off the plastic cover next right next to the door handle on the 2011 S5? I am trying to replace the sensor, but am unable to get the small cover off.

Thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice timing with this post, aftermarket sensors arrived from eBay yesterday. Passenger side: 15min job, drivers side: 45mins (struggled a bit getting the key barrel back in). You have to clear the fault codes for it to work again. Worked well a few times, however after a few hours there was another fault code for open circuit and it stopped responding. Cleared the fault code again and it works. Will comment later on the chinese knock off's reliability. @op, thanks for the tip about the string to pull the door latch!

@audis5cab - while pulling on the handle so you have a bit of room, then lever a plastic trim tool (or screw driver, but don't damage the paint) on the section between the handle and the cover on top, nearest to the body. It's only held on by a tab at the top and bottom. In case that was jibberish, pry from the inner edge of the cover, not from the outer edge :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thread revival time!

Just wondered how everyone using the ebay sensors are getting on? I need to replace mine and at £9.99 a shot vs £70 its not hard to think its worth a try but only if they stand a chance of lasting.

Feedback?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced my driver side sensor on my 09 s5 and it fixed my problem and was easy to do. Took me 10 minutes and worked fine. As for longevity I'm not sure. It's been 4 months and still works like a champ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I replaced my driver side sensor on my 09 s5 and it fixed my problem and was easy to do. Took me 10 minutes and worked fine. As for longevity I'm not sure. It's been 4 months and still works like a champ.
1. How did you know which side was the issue?
2. Could you please provide a link to the ebay one you purchased?

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm about 8 months in on the passenger side, and 5 months on the driver side. No problems so far. Both replaced with cheap ebay replacements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. Just wanted to share this video. Even if it's in German and done on a Q5, you clearly can see how it's done, and it's the same procedure on the A5. I did this yesterday on my sportback. Got fault codes saying "rear left sensor failure" and "front right sensor failure". After changing these and cleared the codes, it worked 1-2 times. After doing a diagnostic search the rear right and front left sensors were throwing codes, so I ordered two more from China.

lol, as I joined to show a video I noticed my post count must be greater to do this. So to watch the video i'm referring to, search for "Audi Q5 / SQ5 - Aus & Einbau Türaußengriff (HD)" on Youtube.

This forum has helped me with a lot of things, so I guess it's time for me to pay it back by joining and be able to post replies and help fellow members like you helped me.

King regards
Slog from Norway :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I only picked up my A5 last Wednesday and the keyless entry isn't functioning. Having read a couple of these threads I assumed that it must be the handle sensors as the boot entry was still working.

I bought a couple of new sensors and managed to fit them this afternoon. As expected both the sensors we cracked almost the full length. However, it still doesn't seem to function.

Is there anything else I need to do, should they start working straight away or do I need to clear any codes that the broken sensors may have thrown up? If they should just start working is there anything else it could possibly be?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, I only picked up my A5 last Wednesday and the keyless entry isn't functioning. Having read a couple of these threads I assumed that it must be the handle sensors as the boot entry was still working.

I bought a couple of new sensors and managed to fit them this afternoon. As expected both the sensors we cracked almost the full length. However, it still doesn't seem to function.

Is there anything else I need to do, should they start working straight away or do I need to clear any codes that the broken sensors may have thrown up? If they should just start working is there anything else it could possibly be?

Should work straight away. If you scan with VCDS do you still see error codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts

Any luck getting this working?

·
Registered
11 Posts
After getting the little cap off from the handle and loosening the allen screw at the side of the door getting the little square black plastic piece out that secures the handle was a hassle. As I was doing it I noticed a hole dead in the middle and I said to myself this hole has a purpose. So I took a small screwdriver put it in the hole, grab the square piece and while pulling towards myself I wiggled the screwdriver that's in the hole and viola came out with ease. I hoped this helped I wasn't trying to scratch my paint trying with pliers lol:wink2:
Does the little plastic cover just unclip from the plastic part that goes into the door? Mine fell off and I want to order a replacement, trying to figure out if it just clips back on, or if I have to do more work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is crazy...
I had the error code with the driver handle only but after replacemend a new code occured but this time the passenger door... WTF?! :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 by Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is crazy...
I had the error code with the driver handle only but after replacemend a new code occured but this time the passenger door... WTF?! :D
I believe I read somewhere that this is normal for this type of situation. When both sensors have failed, only the driver's side code will show. Although you have a code for the passenger's side, is it displaying the characteristics of a failed sensor? Have you cleared the code to see if it comes back?
Most people buy two new sensors anyway since they are fairly cheap from Asia.

101 - 120 of 168 Posts