Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm considering a special order color for my new S5. I've seen Dolphin Gray in person, though it was in poor lighting. I am going to see Daytona Gray this weekend and hopefully make a choice. However, just as a sanity check (in case I'm color blind), I was wondering what the difference in the two colors is. Also, if you have a preference, I'm ears.

My thoughts are that I think I like Daytona better. The Dolphin Gray appears to have a little more blue in it, but it too is an awesome color. Is there any blue in the Daytona or is it purely a gray color?

Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check out Meteor grey and save your self 2Gs if you go for dolphin. Daytona is beautiful though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
+1 I get so many great comments for the meteor! Looks like it turns to a shade of blue as the sun goes down! The Daytona is something of its own. I have never heard of dolphin grey for the A5/S5, only for other Audi models! But both colors give the car an aggressive look, other than black.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Please don't go Dolphin. The Missus had a Dolphin A3 for some time and the colour ended up grating on me - it's just such a non-descript, lazy grey. Plus it's been around for over 7 years now and is totally commonplace. Didn't know it was an A5 option but would be a travesty to spend thosands on having your S5 provided in that colour as an option. My advice - steer well clear. However, Daytona's probably worth the extra bucks (from what I've seen in pics - not sure if I've seen the colour in the flesh on other Audi models), otherwise, Meteor's a great colour for the design.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Please don't go Dolphin. The Missus had a Dolphin A3 for some time and the colour ended up grating on me - it's just such a non-descript, lazy grey. Plus it's been around for over 7 years now and is totally commonplace. Didn't know it was an A5 option but would be a travesty to spend thosands on having your S5 provided in that colour as an option. My advice - steer well clear. However, Daytona's probably worth the extra bucks (from what I've seen in pics - not sure if I've seen the colour in the flesh on other Audi models), otherwise, Meteor's a great colour for the design.
Not a great lover of grey until I saw your car the Metor and red int looks the dogs dangglers

·
Registered
479 Posts
Daytona is a far nicer colour than Dolphin. Far more depth to it than the boring dolphin which is a bit "battleship" to my eyes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, got it. Dolphin is dull.

I just got back from the dealership and they have two Daytona Gray R8's on the lot along with an Ibis White one. Of course, both of the Gray R8's were inside, so I couldn't see the color in good outdoor light. Regardless, I like the color and have added it to my order.

Now, does anyone else see just a hint of blue in the Daytona Gray color or am I color blind?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dolphin is the worst of all worlds. I had an A3 in Dolphin for 4 days as a demo and I could not believe how such a dull colour could pick up so much dirt!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ranger

As noted earlier, I think the Dolphin Gray is dull. I saw it on the A4 and it was unimpressive. The Quartz Gray is actually quite nice if you do not want to pop for the additional paint charge.
For a very rough comparison of a large number of Audi colors, see MadAudi's web site and click on the "Tech" Tab.
http://madaudi.com/

It has been a while since I have seen Daytona in person. It was on a very nice RS4 on my dealer's lot a while back. I recall it does have a hint of blue with the pearl effect. See this discussion over on Audiworld. Markmntt has an RS6 in Daytona
http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/30375.phtml

So, I guess there may be at least 3 of us in the US with Daytona Gray. At least you are 1000 miles away.:) My machine should arrive here mid-July.
I think the other one (markmntt) is in the Chicago area.

Good luck on your order.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah, have to add to the don't go Dolphin crowd - it is a very dull colour.

Meteor is nice because it is a darker hue, although it does share a similar issue with having very little metal sparklies in the mix - in bad weather Meteor can look quite dull too. Some owners have likened Meteor to battleships, same complaint that has been heard of Dolphin too.

Out of these grey choices, I'd probably go Daytona. Or Quartz if that is available in your parts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
TOP THREE FOR ME:

1. Daytona
2. Meteor
3. quartz

In that order, Phantom is nice too...but to many black cars on the roads

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.