Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am patiently waiting to take ownership of my demo unit here in NJ and was curious if any owners have experienced the front lip scraping. I can't find the ground clearance number anywhere online. I hope that with the front tires moved farther forward I wont have issues with my driveway. How is it going for the rest of you?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I havent had any scraping and have parked in multi-story car parks with steep ramps. I also have to get over a sleeping policeman to get out of my road with another two to get into town.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I havent had any scraping and have parked in multi-story car parks with steep ramps. I also have to get over a sleeping policeman to get out of my road with another two to get into town.
I havent had to drive over any policemen :)) ) but can report that I also haven't had any scraping issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a fairly steep incline for the last (or first 30 feet, depending on where you're coming from) in my driveway, and I've had problems with some of the test cars I've been in the past (Lambo Gallardo, Z-6), but I've had absolutely no problem with the S5 and I've come into the drive a bit fast a couple of times, and still no problem. I did have one parking lot front curb bump, but it was miminal...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Has yet to happen to me. Which dealers demo are you getting?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting the Grey/Red. Love it to death, if I was ordering it from scratch I would be getting the same car but without the carbon fiber, stainless all the way...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Getting the Grey/Red. Love it to death, if I was ordering it from scratch I would be getting the same car but without the carbon fiber, stainless all the way...
Congrats on the car, but I have to disagree with you, I think the carbon fiber that you are getting looks a lot nicer than the stainless-of course that's just my opinion. In addition, its hard to get dust and other bits of crud that accumulate over time out of a weaved metal mesh like that. Don't get me wrong, I think the stainless looks great, but I wonder if its in your face appearance might grow tiresome after a while. Have fun with your new car, and post some pics dang it so guys like me who are still waiting to get ours have something to slobber over:D

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Scratch is selling these bad boys now?

Sorry, couldn't resist...we have a member who uses "Scratch" as his handle. ;)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well someone is quite the comedian today. :D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Scratch is selling these bad boys now?

Sorry, couldn't resist...we have a member who uses "Scratch" as his handle. ;)
House,
Would love to even have an S5 to sell to number2jcb - sadly I settled for the 3.0 TDi, and I'm really missing the 4.2 V8 from my old S4.:( Loving the 40mpg and oodles of torque though...:D

Also, delivery to New Jersey may be a bit of an issue for me as I'm in the South West of the UK!:D :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
i think that all stock cars, with the exception to exotic sports, you will have no issues at all with scraping, especially here in the east coast. and if you do see a steep incline or bump, just make sure to take it at an angle. no need to worry, you should be fine. =)
what you should be more worried about is bending your rims with all the potholes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Must be the Dominican speed bumps, because the demo I had scraped on quite a few of those bumps. One was particularly jarring... I stepped out and checked underneath the car to make sure nothing was leaking/out of place :p

I'm also concerned about getting the 19"s, what with the insane amount of potholes we have. There's a new batch after every hard rain storm. We'll see...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Haven't scraped once but look out for cement stops in parking lots. Your front
will not clear it. I had a 07 C6 scraped everything.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My driveway and curb are fine.
Speed bumps around here are fine also.
Square curbs at stores and parking stops are a no-no they are both a couple of inches to high and will snap off the front end.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ground clearance

I am considering replacing my A5 coupe (which I love) for an S5 Coupe next year and was wondering if the ground clearance on both cars is the same.

I can see that the S5 has a ground clearance of 5.3" (but the previous post) but have not seen the same spec for the A5. Should you also be careful about what suspension you spec when you order one?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Congrats on the car, but I have to disagree with you, I think the carbon fiber that you are getting looks a lot nicer than the stainless-of course that's just my opinion. In addition, its hard to get dust and other bits of crud that accumulate over time out of a weaved metal mesh like that. Don't get me wrong, I think the stainless looks great, but I wonder if its in your face appearance might grow tiresome after a while. Have fun with your new car, and post some pics dang it so guys like me who are still waiting to get ours have something to slobber over:D
Agree -- and the metal shows little dents. Not that hard to dent the door panels when taking off the seatbelt -- and letting it retract.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah I scrape the bottom of mine going over a rounded curb into my driveway too fast.

Take it slow and you should be ok

1 - 19 of 19 Posts