Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hmmmmmm, how should this thread start? Let's seeeeeee -- I'm not sure I can even remember how this day started......

Oh yeah!

I found my ECU sitting in a pile of rancid rot water! Well not ECU exactly but fuse box B.

:yikes:

Why the shitwagon does audi put the car's central computer underneath a godam drain hole? Yes, yes, it's water tight....but the fuse box ain't!

Looked normal from above. For those who don't know, the ECU sits in the plenum chamber, directly in front of driver, on other side of windshield.

You should have smelled this nastiness. It reminded me of my first skid row hooker.

Will audi cover any of this or is it unlikely? I'm out of warranty. I just need to know if its worth the fight. My new tranny fight was a brutal one, though I did ultimately win.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Jesus, looks like someone took a sh1t in your fuse box! I thought I could actually smell it through the screen!
Gonna check mine now!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
mud wrestling normally costs extra...did you not pay more for this option?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The only way to find out is to go ask them really, see what they say...

I want to know more about this brutal tranny fight... Sounds fun.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
mr telecom, could send you a link from a "special interest" site but don't think that's what the OP was referring to?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
quite the contrary, racko'lamb

My new tranny got out of her cage and beat the shit out of me.

speaking of shit, yes, someone dumped in my grey box.

speaking of shit and my grey box-

WILL WHOEVER DUMPED IN MY GREY BOX PLEASE COME FORWARD??

Cover your grey boxes, gentlemen, there's a steamer bandit among us.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If your car is serviced by Audi then one of the checks is thus:

Plenum Chamber and water drain valve: Check for soiling. Cleaning is a repair measure and must be charged separately.

Going on that I going to say that if you have a full Audi service history you might ask how it got to this state, as it should have been checked. If you don't chances are Bob's Car Service Emporium did not know to check it. So it's going to cost I feel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Thank you Chris! That does give me some ammo to work with.
I really appreciate the good tip! I would have never known that.

Yes, I have totally been dealer serviced for the life of the car. And the drain hole was the culprit. It was just covered in sludge and all backed up.

Dealer emailed me Friday after getting the car: "$360.00 to tell you what's wrong and do diagnostic." I hate how absurd there pricing is.

"$360? Hmm, it's a tough one to sort, i'll grant you that. I've been mulling it over though: starter, CHECK....solenoids, CHECK....engine CHECK....seats CHECK....coin holder CHECK.....grey box CHE--
OH MY GOD SOMEONE SHAT IN MY GREY BOX."

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my quote back from Audi. They wont repair, only replace the wires. There are 4 - 8 wires that popped out of their relays and are corroded. The ECU is fully functional. Everything works.

They blamed me for trying to re-insert them and get the car to start (so I could take it to the dealer).

They quoted me:

$8,900.00 --

For an entire new harness (all electrical wiring in car I believe).

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
looks like the shit in the box was only the appetiser then........

have to say you colonial cousins always reckon everything your side of the pond is bigger, now proven that your dealer has to be one of the biggest arses in the audi empire. good luck in pointing out all this is down to him short cutting the service schedule...bet he can repair the wires when it is his dollar.....

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Got my quote back from Audi. They wont repair, only replace the wires. There are 4 - 8 wires that popped out of their relays and are corroded. The ECU is fully functional. Everything works.

They blamed me for trying to re-insert them and get the car to start (so I could take it to the dealer).

They quoted me:

$8,900.00 --

For an entire new harness (all electrical wiring in car I believe).
geez, didn't realise it was that costly. I have my wire harness replaced under warranty 1 month before it expired... guess that was a lucky one. took them the better part of 2 weeks to complete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts