Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the S5 have a dip stick, had a look for it but couldn't find one. Checked the manual and it seems that its only through the MMI, but I just wanted to double check.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I queried this when collecting the car - there's a tube for the dipstick but it has a plug/bung in it and no dip-stick. The chap doing the hand-over was puzzled by this so called out their Master Technician (!) who confirmed that oil-level checks are done via the MMI and the dip-stick is only used by the techies at service.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I queried this when collecting the car - there's a tube for the dipstick but it has a plug/bung in it and no dip-stick. The chap doing the hand-over was puzzled by this so called out their Master Technician (!) who confirmed that oil-level checks are done via the MMI and the dip-stick is only used by the techies at service.
Seems this is a mod introduced after mine was produced as its affecting both your cars that were produced late last year. I'd rather have a dipstick to check like all the other fluid reservoirs. I wonder if there are plans to delete the others in future?

·
Registered
155 Posts
:confused: My wife syas the dipstick in my car is in the drivers seat........ and shes not even a mechanic

·
Registered
231 Posts
my car has finally gone made it in for the egine recall, i requested them to enable the oil check on mmi if it is possible (mine is an early car and has the dipstick), will let you guys know how it goes

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my car has finally gone made it in for the egine recall, i requested them to enable the oil check on mmi if it is possible (mine is an early car and has the dipstick), will let you guys know how it goes
Ahh so if you have the dipstick then you can't check via MMI. Well either way so long as there is some method to check then i'm ok with it. Wonder why they changed it on the later cars?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What engine recall ???:eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
How do you check the oil thru MMI?
It's more complicated than the dipstick method. You have to take out the screen, cut a hole through the bulkhead between the dash and the engine, cut a hole in the engine and then reach through both holes to stick your finger in and see if you can feel the oil and if it is blackened at all. Only works for very long-armed owners. Oh, and if you do this, it obviously makes you the dipstick. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
unrelated question

Rather than start a new thread, here's a question: even after I turn off the radio by pressing the small volume button on the dash in the upper left area of he MMI, when I turn the car off and then later turn the car back on, the radio comes on. In other words, how do you arrange things so that when you turn the car on, the radio is off? I suppose this is in the manual but can anyone help?
S

·
Registered
231 Posts
my dealer Amersham Audi not only did the warranty work but kindly agreed to recode the MMI with newer software. now i have 'oil level' in the MMI but they said its unlikely to work as my older version may not have the sensor needed.

anyhow when how do u check oil in the MMI? thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
I drop corn seeds in the oil filler. If it pops into popcorn, I know there's enough oil in it. If it just burns smelly, I know it's time to add some butter or vegetble oil.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, here's a question: even after I turn off the radio by pressing the small volume button on the dash in the upper left area of he MMI, when I turn the car off and then later turn the car back on, the radio comes on. In other words, how do you arrange things so that when you turn the car on, the radio is off? I suppose this is in the manual but can anyone help?
S

I think if you just push the button shortly, you are putting the volume in a 'mute' mode. If you push it down longer, you are turning the radio off, in which case it won't turn back on.

Otherwise, if you tear out the wiring to the speakers, they won't turn back on..... And all you have to do is reconnect them whenever you want to use it (or navigation) again.

(sorry, couldn't help it, see my previous post above)....

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
anyhow when how do u check oil in the MMI? thanks
Hiya Vin, press the 'car' MMI button and the 'Oil level' option should be about the 5th option down. Displays a single bar graph with the level indicated. Never check it when cornering though as the indicated level swings from side to side and ocassionally, if you're really ragging it, spills over the top of the graph and trickles down the screen.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I drop corn seeds in the oil filler. If it pops into popcorn, I know there's enough oil in it. If it just burns smelly, I know it's time to add some butter or vegetble oil.
We have that option here in the states, flexfuel or biodiesel. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.