Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I heard that for almost all car companies that have an iPod connect, the iPhone 3G works as far as listening to the music, but because Apple was dumb and did something with the connectors that deal with power, I have head that some brands (Like the Nissan iPod connect) won't be able to charge the new iPhone 3G? Can anyone try to make sure that not only do the songs come up on the MMI, but that it charges the phone also? Otherwise I am going to have to take it out and charge it whenever it runs out of juice, which would suck.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have heard (read on AudiWorld.com) that iPhone 3G with AMI does not charge, apparently the original iPhone did still charge.

Opinions are mixed: some say that since Apple announced this future change in how iPods are charged years ago, it is Audis fault for doing it the old way. Others think Apple is the greatest evil on Earth for always breaking backwards compatibility (which, granted, they tend to do a lot). The practicalists hope that a new iPod AMI cable in the future might solve this (with possibly a software update for AMI).

Someone also suggested some third party accessory a temporary solution which apparently works but is not very elegant. Look for the iPhone 3G thread on AudiWorld.com / A5 forum. I would dig up the link the AW.com is out of action at the moment.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Even though its bad news. I heard you can mod the cable or something, but its bulky, and if you do it wrong, you can fry your iPhone. I hope there will at least be some sort of battery that can be charged via AMI, and then the battery can be connected to your iPhone such that you can access all the music that you used to be able to, but still get power. I wonder what was their reason to change this... what was wrong with the current charging process.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I believe the reason is historical. iPods could be charged via FireWire or USB connections, with FireWire being the main charging method. Then the focus changed on USB and later iPods have removed the FireWire pins from use entirely, but the charging pin has remained. I believe iPhone 3G has finally removed the FireWire charging pins as well, which I think the AMI uses.

This may be an oversimplifcation and I may have gotten some details wrong, but I believe my answer is at least near the correct ballpark. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hum... I found this. Maybe this gives some insight: http://gizmodo.com/5029844/simple-hack-turns-usb-charger-units-into-iphone-chargers

Some chargers wont work "'cause Apple's lovely design engineers made the phone's electronics look for the standard USB D+ and D- lines, which lots of USB chargers omit."

Sucks, so I guess it doesn't have to do with Firewire, as I thought, because you couldn't use a Firewire charger on anything since a 4 or 5g ipod.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wait a minute, that can't be right... I am charging a latest gen iPod touch here with an Apple Firewire charger as we speak. :)

So I guess it does have something to do with the Firewire vs. USB issue. That article only covers why USB charging an iPhone is more difficult than just using a generic USB charger. Charging the Firewire way seems still possible with iPod touch and iPhone 1st gen. Otherwise Firewire is certainly disabled on the later iPods, that is true, but charging seems to remain - until iPhone 3G that is.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
And here it is:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1285341

I doubt I am alone in being dissapointed with Firewire Charging not being supported on the 3G. I have a bunch of old apple FW chargers, which can now only be used on my broken Nano. In My opinion, Apple should have allowed the Phone to charge of Firewire. Is there anything they lose by doing so?
You can’t charge the iPhone 3G on (some) iPod Audio Systems
http://www.applegazette.com/iphone/you-cant-charge-the-iphone-3g-on-ipod-audio-systems/

The iPhone 3G has a few drawbacks when comparing it to the original iPhone - the biggest of which (for me anyway) is one that I just discovered tonight.

You can’t charge the device on an iPod Audio system. I have tried every one that I have in my house, including mStation, and others - and when you connect them, you get a message that says “charging is not supported with this accessory”.

This i only with the iPhone 3G, however. Original iPhones with the iPhone 2.0 software update still work just fine.

UPDATE: As you can see in the comments the reason for this has been explained. Apple has abandoned Firewire as a method of charging iPods and iPhones starting with the iPhone 3G, and as a result any devices that used the Firewire method of charging will no longer work with the iPhone 3G.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
One reason why perhaps Audi is still using the Firewire pins:

The problem is firewire is 12v, USB is 5v. Cars are also 12v.. so the in-car devices stick to the firewire charging lines.
http://www.applegazette.com/iphone/you-cant-charge-the-iphone-3g-on-ipod-audio-systems/

Here's hoping an updated iPod cable or even just a software update is possible. Or some adapter for the cable itself.

Looks like not even Apple saw this coming... :)

It doesn’t even charge with the old, white Apple boom box kind of speaker with a dock on top. A shame, since its sound is excellent.
@James Katt: Even Apple’s own “Universal Dock” won’t charge the iPhone 3G. If it were like what you said Apple should be the first to adapt it’s own new policy and make Universal Dock future-proof. Fair enough there is no law saying when you release a new product you have to be backwards compatible to previous product lines. And it is in manufacturers’ interest (both Apple and third-party) to make you buy new accessories.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts