Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the original RS5 B9 front honeycomb grill fits the S5 B9?

I was under the impression that it might not because the bumpers are different.

A lot of the aftermarket grills are really poor quality. I don't want a debadged grill, because I like the Audi badge.

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
889 Posts
Yes, straight swap, though bear in mind the metal crash bar will be in sight if you decide to remove the polystyrene bumper bar (with pedestrian collision sensor built in). It can be removed for in better terms “nicer on the eyes”.
I did the latter and removed the polystyrene bumper absorbing material and zip tied that sensor and also painted it all black with enamel paint. Looked much better in my eyes!

~Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, straight swap, though bear in mind the metal crash bar will be in sight if you decide to remove the polystyrene bumper bar (with pedestrian collision sensor built in). It can be removed for in better terms “nicer on the eyes”.
I did the latter and removed the polystyrene bumper absorbing material and zip tied that sensor and also painted it all black with enamel paint. Looked much better in my eyes!

View attachment 180225
~Alex
Hi Alex,

I've seen videos where the crash barrier had to be cut to make way for the parking sensors, is that not the case if you keep it in place and buy a legit audi grill? Also did you do this yourself or get a garage to do it? How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry for all the questions, I've recently bought my s5 b9 coupe (67) and as much as I love it, I'm desperate to replace the grill for a black honeycomb. Even my a5 b8 had a black honeycomb grill and it looks so much nicer. I'm competent with mods but not sure I'm brave enough to start carving up the crash barrier.

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi Alex,

I've seen videos where the crash barrier had to be cut to make way for the parking sensors, is that not the case if you keep it in place and buy a legit audi grill? Also did you do this yourself or get a garage to do it? How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry for all the questions, I've recently bought my s5 b9 coupe (67) and as much as I love it, I'm desperate to replace the grill for a black honeycomb. Even my a5 b8 had a black honeycomb grill and it looks so much nicer. I'm competent with mods but not sure I'm brave enough to start carving up the crash barrier.

Thanks in advance,
John
Bought the grille on eBay for £160 but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper now, and even on Aliexpress!

I did the grille myself and just removed the entire bumper crash barrier.

Genuine RS grill has a sort of plastic backing to hide the bumper crash barrier.
It’s easier if you google RS5 b9 and see what I mean.

Aftermarket doesn’t have that plastic covering to hide the crash barrier. I just removed the crash barrier altogether and painted the metal crash bar metal.

Hope this helps!

~Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, noticed you also have the active cruise control sensors - are these just a simple unplug also - like the pdc?

do you have headlight washer also?

None of the guides i’ve found have them -do i need to do anything special to get the bumper off with them?

instead of the cutting the crash bar i’m tempted to buy some right angle (black) pdc sensors - saves having to paint my grey ones black.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi, noticed you also have the active cruise control sensors - are these just a simple unplug also - like the pdc?

do you have headlight washer also?

None of the guides i’ve found have them -do i need to do anything special to get the bumper off with them?

instead of the cutting the crash bar i’m tempted to buy some right angle (black) pdc sensors - saves having to paint my grey ones black.
Hey,

Yes there’s additional sensors that plug in for the crash/impact sensor that’s just a plastic silicon tube air filled that’s about 1cm in diameter thick that runs directly behind the polystyrene crash bar/medium.

Then, there’s the PDC sensors plugs on either end and finally the Radar sensor also for adaptive cruise control.

I did forget to mention that if you take the radar sensors off while the battery is still connected then it will throw up a fault in the dash and disable adaptive cruise control, brake assist and lane assist also. I had Rosstech cable so just wiped the codes and it was back to normal. So words of wisdom, disconnect battery unless you have Rosstech handy like I have.

I also think you’re misunderstanding, the PDC sensors mount to the actual grill and doesn’t have any interaction with the polystyrene crash bar that’s sits infront of the metal crash bar and behind grill. It’s just a soft impact medium as an inbetween but houses that impact/crash sensor tube thing. If you buy aftermarket then regardless of you cutting it or not it will be visible. The genuine RS5 grill has like a cover over where the number plate is and also hides all the way from edge to edge, so in essence it hides it.

here’s a pic of the removed crash bar it’s upside down sorry!

hope this makes send and helps you out.
~Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey,

Yes there’s additional sensors that plug in for the crash/impact sensor that’s just a plastic silicon tube air filled that’s about 1cm in diameter thick that runs directly behind the polystyrene crash bar/medium.

Then, there’s the PDC sensors plugs on either end and finally the Radar sensor also for adaptive cruise control.

I did forget to mention that if you take the radar sensors off while the battery is still connected then it will throw up a fault in the dash and disable adaptive cruise control, brake assist and lane assist also. I had Rosstech cable so just wiped the codes and it was back to normal. So words of wisdom, disconnect battery unless you have Rosstech handy like I have.

I also think you’re misunderstanding, the PDC sensors mount to the actual grill and doesn’t have any interaction with the polystyrene crash bar that’s sits infront of the metal crash bar and behind grill. It’s just a soft impact medium as an inbetween but houses that impact/crash sensor tube thing. If you buy aftermarket then regardless of you cutting it or not it will be visible. The genuine RS5 grill has like a cover over where the number plate is and also hides all the way from edge to edge, so in essence it hides it.

here’s a pic of the removed crash bar it’s upside down sorry!
View attachment 180365

hope this makes send and helps you out.
~Alex
Thanks Alex - thats really helpful.

i had seen some installs where they had to cut a notch into the metal crashbar as the pdc sensors hit them - which is why i thought i’d buy new right angle sensors - also my s5 has grey front sensors which are noticeable against the gloss black honeycomb.

I’ll remember to disconnect the battery and bite the bullet and buy an obdeleven just in case too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks Alex - thats really helpful.

i had seen some installs where they had to cut a notch into the metal crashbar as the pdc sensors hit them - which is why i thought i’d buy new right angle sensors - also my s5 has grey front sensors which are noticeable against the gloss black honeycomb.

I’ll remember to disconnect the battery and bite the bullet and buy an obdeleven just in case too.
I mean you could just paint it enamel gloss black, or wrap it with gloss black wrap just the sensor but and it still works fine. I’ve done the enamel and wrap before and they both work fine.

~Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the pointers Alex…. Finally got a few hours to fit mine….

What a faff - getting the bumper off was fairly easy - even removed the lower grill wasnt too bad…
My grill came with black audi rings - which i wasnt keen on - so ordered some silver ones - but the tabs were too wide so had to dremel them.

Then the S5 badge need dremelling to fit into the smaller honeycomb.

And finally the foam - i decided to shave it - took ages and made such a mess!!!

I have VCDS so didnt want to disconnect my battery - but bonus even though the acc sensors were disconnected no errors and they still work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts