Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've a quick question. There are various theories abound about what the little fin on the roof of the car is, from phone aerial, to satnav GPS, to anti aircraft missle system.

Can someone confirm to me that my car when it arrives will have it?

i.e. is there anyone out there driving a UK spec 1.8 Sport with low phone prep and NO sat-nav who has a fin on their car?

(missile system owners may want to keep covert for obvious reasons. All this stuff goes straight through GCHQ. In fact I think I hear them knocking the front door already).

Thanks!
Stoatie

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
the fin is part of the sat nav system.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
it also houses the phone aerial and the tv aerial.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
And the radio if you've gone for Satnav I think - I believe it only comes on cars with the nav system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You see - this is why I asked the question in this manner - i.e. is there anyone in the UK with a 1.8T no sat nav, with only low phone prep I've seen A5s in the showroom without satnav, but WITH a fin.

So I couldn't figure out what the rhyme or reason was.

Put it like this: has anyone on this forum NOT got a fin? There's quite a few with no sat nav.

·
Registered
231 Posts
in the other thread it was concluded that, that you if the fin if you have:

phone
sat nav
aux heating.

however i dont know anyone who has nav but no phone. because usually gps antennas are hidden. on BMW and Mercs the shark fin aerials are only for telephone.

the radio/tv aerial is the same and is one of the black lines on the rear window

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't know if I have a fin or not, but I'll find out on Saturday.

My 1.8T has phone prep/bluetooth, but no sat-nav.

SWMBO has phone prep/bluetooth and satnav.

I'll let you know which ones have fins.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
in the other thread it was concluded that, that you if the fin if you have:

phone
sat nav
aux heating.

however i dont know anyone who has nav but no phone. because usually gps antennas are hidden. on BMW and Mercs the shark fin aerials are only for telephone.

the radio/tv aerial is the same and is one of the black lines on the rear window
Vin,
I've got Satnav but no phone, and I've got the fin aerial.
The better question (and raised elsewhere I think) is do you get the fin aerial if it's the other way round (ie with phone but without Satnav)? I would think you do as I think the phone aerial is in there as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In the US, the technical doc states that the roof module is for:
-Sat Navigation
-Telephone
-Digital Satellite Radio (Sirius)
-Pre-Heater (not an option we can even select)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have no sat-nav and a low phone prep- I do have a fin!!

Don't think the fact that its not a 1.8 makes any difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The "fin" is only on the MY2007-2009 A5s. The MY2010 A5s have the aerial built into the rear windscreen. You will see that BMW of the same MY2007-2009 also have the "fins" but no longer have them.

I have no sat nav, but because my A5 is MY2007, it has the "fin" for the aerial (phone prep/bluetooth)

Edit: this was explained by the dealer when I queried why my A5 had a fin and the 2010 base model demo A5 didn't (but had phone prep/bluetooth as one of it's options).

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
My this is an old post!!

New Cheaper Bluetooth option (without phone cradle) does not have roof fin unless you have SatNav. The Fin would appear to be multi functional, aerial for phone if cradle fitted, Sat Nav GPRS etc and TV.

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
101 Posts
My apologies for reviving an old thread. Obviously I was bored and trolled through the entire section :S (but I thought this thread was informative as I too wanted to know what the fins were for prior to getting my A5!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts