Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds crazy I know….but wondering if this is a major struggle for anyone else?
I have avoided this all week and felt massive fear about it and I’m not sure why. The pressure of food shopping I find extreme. Will I get everything I need? No idea what to make for dinner so what am I going to buy? Even making a list of things or doing it online freaks me out. One of the things that triggered the end of my relationship was me sitting in a supermarket carpark in my car, crying and shaking because I felt overwhelmed at food shopping. The pressure of making sure we had everything, that it was foods he would like, that it was meals that wouldn’t result in an evening of sulking and silent treatment, that I wouldn’t forget things then be ridiculed for having to go back again a couple of days later. That’s when I knew I was broken. I could no longer do something as simple as food shopping. I need to go today, I don’t have much time and my mind cannot focus on what to get and I’m freaking out. Writing a list which I’ve tried to do is not helping. Has anyone else suffered with this or is it just me?

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Have you tried online grocery shopping? Nobody around for you to feel judged, no rush as your basket will still have the same items in it tomorrow if you get a little overwhelmed and need to step away.

Though this does generally sound like a anxiety issue you really should get treated. Doctors can and do help, I can attest to that. If the doctor you get isn't for you, get another. No harm in it until you find what helps you. It's worth it.

And yes, this has been an issue for me in the past, though likely due to slightly different issues. But there was a time I couldn't make it to the shops because I'd mentally collapse on the way. Note I said in the past, it can and does get better

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Good advice but dont let online shopping become the norm for you.. Like Eamonn said get some help. You have already taken the first step by posting it on here and telling strangers- sort of . Your doctor will help you get the right treatment necessary. Not sure how it is over there but mental health as its called here by the system is taken seriously
I would still suggest try short visits for essentials and try different times of the day when you maybe feel at ease
good luck

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Er hello doctor....this is a site for chatting about cars I thought.......wierd.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Simon, back in the day there were forumees who would bare their souls with personal issues looking for support, acceptance or just the relief of venting. Just like mates down the pub.
Haven't posted much lately cause I can't help people fix knackered audis, and I certainly can't fix knackered Rowlandsons, but would echo those who say seek medical help.
I couldn't help recognising the relationship issues which may be behind this particular anxiety. The pressure of making sure we had everything, that it was foods he would like, that it was meals that wouldn’t result in an evening of sulking and silent treatment, that I wouldn’t forget things then be ridiculed for having to go back again a couple of days later. That’s when I knew I was broken.
Rolandson, you are being bullied, mentally and emotionally abused, and you either need to get out or at least both of you need counselling.

Talking about stuff like this is really difficult, coz we are blokes who don't show our feelings and can cope with everything life throws at us. Well, I certainly couldn't 10 years ago. Depression nearly got the best of me (in the worst possible way) and admitting it was the most difficult thing I have ever done.

So Rolandson, you have taken that difficult first step. Seek that help not only for the surface issues but for the relationship which may be causing them. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I had trouble and still do. It’s just more triggers. It’s crowded, noisy, and it triggers fears of his retribution for buying the wrong milk once! I got a half our melt down from him. After I was free from him I realised his meltdown was nothing to do with the shopping. That was the first thing that he could use as an excuse for his abusive dysfunctional behaviour when I got back from the shops. He was just waiting for my return and it could have been anything. Housework is another trick they use. Telling us the house is never clean enough or tidy enough. I suppose that’s an easy one to use as an excuse. Then our minds are taken up obsessively cleaning so we don’t have the head space to realise that he is the one with the massive problem. It’s how they control us. Time away from him and no contact is what counts. If I have to really go I rush in and buy the bare minimum to get me through the day. Then when I’m better I buy loads. It’s a lack of head space. Just now your head is filled with keeping yourself safe from him. In survivor mode we have little head space left for rational thinking ❤ It’s normal behaviour from someone being abused. It does get better X

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmm, this is strange because I do not see anything terrible in it and it seems to me that it is completely safe. I can’t understand what exactly the problem is and what’s the big deal. I would advise you to go to a psychologist, because your behavior and fears are very strange. For example, I’m scared when I go to a restaurant, because most cooks neglect sanitary and hygiene standards and as a result, many people are faced with poisoning. For example, I was recently in a restaurant and one person started screaming loudly and complaining about the dish that was brought to him. It turned out that the old equipment was still working in the kitchen and there was a roasted cockroach in the oven. Just imagine how terrible it is. After this incident, the administration said that the new countertop equipment fro ianboer.com.au would be delivered soon and apologized. So do not be afraid to shop in supermarkets)

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Er goodness. Sure.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Simon, back in the day there were forumees who would bare their souls with personal issues looking for support, acceptance or just the relief of venting. Just like mates down the pub.
Haven't posted much lately cause I can't help people fix knackered audis, and I certainly can't fix knackered Rowlandsons, but would echo those who say seek medical help.
I couldn't help recognising the relationship issues which may be behind this particular anxiety. The pressure of making sure we had everything, that it was foods he would like, that it was meals that wouldn’t result in an evening of sulking and silent treatment, that I wouldn’t forget things then be ridiculed for having to go back again a couple of days later. That’s when I knew I was broken.
Rolandson, you are being bullied, mentally and emotionally abused, and you either need to get out or at least both of you need counselling.

Talking about stuff like this is really difficult, coz we are blokes who don't show our feelings and can cope with everything life throws at us. Well, I certainly couldn't 10 years ago. Depression nearly got the best of me (in the worst possible way) and admitting it was the most difficult thing I have ever done.

So Rolandson, you have taken that difficult first step. Seek that help not only for the surface issues but for the relationship which may be causing them. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Racks I now understand that you are an amazingly wise fellow. Thankyou.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive suffered from social anxiety for a few years. Im better than i was, supermarket shopping doesnt bother me so much. But social occasions do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate doing shopping! I start shivering everytime when I enter a supermarket or a grocery store. Probably, I have to see a psychologist!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shopping the word which I hate and the activity which I can’t stand to perform. Many believe that shopping is in the nature of each woman. Probably, it is, though I am not the case. I hate to go shopping every two days and buy almost the same products. When it comes to clothes shopping the story is the same. I hate going in an outlet and dress up different clothes which were tried by other people before. Can you imagine how many bacteria are on them? My friends say that I have social anxiety, but I am okay with going out in the restaurants and bars. So, I simply don’t like going shopping. My best option is online shopping. For instance, I ordered online Shun Knives from knivesadvice.com. Click here to read the review. I do the same with clothes and furniture for my home. In case you can’t control your anxiety I suggest you to take the option of online shopping more serious, especially that the delivery is quite fast nowdays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts