Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Actually Billy, it's a fair question. I was a bit surprised that they didn't have at least a hinged 'vent' function. Seems to be becoming less common these days on coupes, maybe because a good a/c system negates the need to get up close and personal with the atmosphere.
Did some driving 4-up over the last Bank Holiday and have to say, the back-seaters seemed very comfortable, warm day though it was.....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...And there's fewer smokers nowadays. Even Ess5 gave up! ;)

...It's the smokers who use the rear vent to create a 'through flow' of air to carry the smoke out. am I right??

I had rear vents in the Voyager, they were never opened in 5 years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A guy I know had them on his beemer, they auto opened along with the front windows and sunroof but didn't auto close with them it was his biggest dissapointment with his car, drove him mad. Ha Ha serves him right for buying the pile of sh*t to start with.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey, now! Be nice to the disgraced Bimmer folk! You may have just offended any visiting impressed Bimmer folk jealously browsing these forums since they know Audi would have been smart enough to have auto-shutting rear vents had they been an option! Shame on you!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Billy,
I guess you don't have the option of calling in to a dealer to check these things out - in that case, a fairly sensible question. One issue with this that has arisen for me is that I have a large dent just below the rear window in the rear quarter panel. It's all detailed in the thread here

Hopefully the body shop can pull it out from the outside. If not and they need access from the inside then it's a case of removing all of the interior trim in the rear on that side - around 2-3 hours work to remove and refit according to the Audi body shop in Yeovil. Not good! If the window opened then it would have seals and therefore allow access for repair tools to push the dent out from the inside.

Hope this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg!:mad:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey, now! Be nice to the disgraced Bimmer folk! You may have just offended any visiting impressed Bimmer folk jealously browsing these forums since they know Audi would have been smart enough to have auto-shutting rear vents had they been an option! Shame on you!
Thanks crespo...I own (eh-hem...) both. Although the BMW is going to the (ex-)wife. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the BMW E46 coupe before, the rear vent was a real nice feature! The bimmer had quite a few good features and it really isnt that bad a car in comparison to the A5. However I dont like the new 3 series coupe's. I think they look too Jap for my liking!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
All the reviews I have read indicate that the back seats are cramped at best. Would you say then that they are fine? I occasionally carry four people and I am curious about this.
The rear seats are fine. As long as you are not tall or the person in the front seats is not tall. I have had quite a lot of adults in the back and they all say its surprisingly comfortable. Its only the getting in/out that is awkward.

Remember many of the reviews have come out with rubbish which suggests they havent done a full review but have had to guess or make assumptions or more commonly copy comments from other reviews. Another one I have seen a few times is the report that the ride on the S5 is too harsh. Complete bull.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A guy I know had them on his beemer, they auto opened along with the front windows and sunroof but didn't auto close with them it was his biggest dissapointment with his car, drove him mad. Ha Ha serves him right for buying the pile of sh*t to start with.
What are you talking about?!?! From what planet are you?

If Audi didn't "finally" have a stroke of Genius and came out with the A5, probably about 75% of A5/S5 owners would be driving BMWs.
If you think Bimmers are s#!t, you probably never drove one.

BTW, if your friend's "biggest" disappointment with his BMW was that his rear windows "auto opened along with the front windows and sunroof but didn't auto close with them" I say that sounds like an pretty nice car!!!

From what I researched (I had the same "MAJOR" issue!!!) the window automatic closing problem is an "american" thing. Euro softwared Bimmers don't have that. It allows you to close your windows on you own finger if you want to!!! Europeans are such liberals!!!

And like so many people on this forum I used to own a Bimmer (E46) and if it wasn't for the design of the A5 I would still be driving one.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The rear seats are fine. As long as you are not tall or the person in the front seats is not tall. I have had quite a lot of adults in the back and they all say its surprisingly comfortable. Its only the getting in/out that is awkward.

Remember many of the reviews have come out with rubbish which suggests they havent done a full review but have had to guess or make assumptions or more commonly copy comments from other reviews. Another one I have seen a few times is the report that the ride on the S5 is too harsh. Complete bull.
Excellent, thanks a lot for assuaging my fears.

I've heard that the ride of the Sport is very harsh, but having driven one, it is actually very smooth. I think you're right about the reviews, a lot of them seem to be very similar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All the reviews I have read indicate that the back seats are cramped at best. Would you say then that they are fine? I occasionally carry four people and I am curious about this.
The back seats are fine (for a sports coupe).

Compare to a BMW 3 series the back seat are more reclined which gives the passengers a "more spacious sensation"

The headspace is really good.

The only issue is the knees!!! Only if the driver / front pasenger decide to turn the front seats into couches (and believe me they could!!! yes they are that comfy) by reclining the seats a lot and pushing them as far back as they can.

But if your carrying 4 and everybody is reasonable and none of them is Shaq, then it should be more than OK.

Of course everybody has to remember: it's an A5 not an Escalade.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You really serious about the head room? In my experience the A5/S5 rear seat head room is its biggest shortcoming, a 180 cm tall person will hit the roof occasionally and any taller you have a real problem. Of course knee space is limited too.

Otherwise it is quite comfortable.

Longer thread with pics and measurements and all here:

How Are The Back Seats Really?
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/back-seats-really-3843/index.html?t=3843

·
Registered
48 Posts
You really serious about the head room? In my experience the A5/S5 rear seat head room is its biggest shortcoming, a 180 cm tall person will hit the roof occasionally and any taller you have a real problem. Of course knee space is limited too.

Otherwise it is quite comfortable.

Longer thread with pics and measurements and all here:

How Are The Back Seats Really?
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/back-seats-really-3843/index.html?t=3843
Well, my brother is 6 foot 3 and even though it wasn't like being in a Crown Vic' it was actually pretty decent.

Other than that, like I said, the A5 back seat being more reclined than most sports coupe it makes it very comfortable. Also the quality of the seat itself is very good so overall I'd say it's superior to most of its competitors.

And like it's been said before, the biggest problem is not to seat in the back, it's to get out of it!!! It's a lot like giving birth!!! LOL. (I'm kidding, it's not all that bad...)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The secret to exiting from the back seat is to back out, rather than trying step out facing forward. This has worked well in my A5 for both short and tall back seat passengers.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, my brother is 6 foot 3 and even though it wasn't like being in a Crown Vic' it was actually pretty decent.
Interesting. It must depend on body structure too, of course, 6 foot 3 is 190 cm if I understand correctly and I've seen people 180 cm tall struggle with the headroom... but that probably depends on how much of your height is in your upper torso and how much in the legs of course.

I am in no way trying to disagree with your experience (if your brother fit there just fine then it must be OK for some tall people depending on body structure), just report my different experience.

But looking at the images here, one can see how much less head room A5 has in the back compared to the smallest current Audi, A3 three door (excluding TT/R8 which have no back seat to speak of/no back seat at all):

I still think that headroom is the biggest problem, because it can not be alleviated by moving seats front either. If you are too tall, you are too tall and must slouch...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.