Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I have to purchase the VAGCOM sofware to manage all the lighting changes.

Can't the dealership do all the adjustments??

Where do you plug in the cord in the car??

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just wondering if I have to purchase the VAGCOM sofware to manage all the lighting changes.

Can't the dealership do all the adjustments??

Where do you plug in the cord in the car??

Thats a good question and I'd like to see anybody on this forum who has had the dealer do this...

I'm gonna say, not likely, unless you are "in good" or know a tech personally.. The connector is up under the dash on the left side and farther back.. Correct me if I'm wrong but it uses a OBDI II interface.. I would purchase the Vag-Com if you plan to keep the car for an extended amount of time.. If you take your car in to get something done, and the service dept. flashes your vehicle with an update, do you want to have to rely on the tech to do you a favor everytime and reset all the codes??

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
One member recently posted that the dealership made the necessary changes for the DRL/blinker mods. (See this post.)

texastate makes a valid point about your ECU possibly getting reflashed by the service department at some point, and then all your changes getting lost.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My dealer changed my light settings so that the rear lights also act as DRLs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a good question and I'd like to see anybody on this forum who has had the dealer do this...

I'm gonna say, not likely, unless you are "in good" or know a tech personally.. The connector is up under the dash on the left side and farther back.. Correct me if I'm wrong but it uses a OBDI II interface.. I would purchase the Vag-Com if you plan to keep the car for an extended amount of time.. If you take your car in to get something done, and the service dept. flashes your vehicle with an update, do you want to have to rely on the tech to do you a favor everytime and reset all the codes??
I will probably keep car for at least a couple of years. I think I will purchase the software then. I guess I will read up on making the changes then on this forum... Thanks

Do I need to take apart anything to reach the connector or is it visible?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No, you do not need to take anything apart. The interface is clearly visible underneath the dash.

FYI, the software is a free download from Ross Tech. It's only the cable that you have to purchase. You might get lucky and find someone locally who is willing to let you borrow their cable for the mods. Check this site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, you do not need to take anything apart. The interface is clearly visible underneath the dash.

FYI, the software is a free download from Ross Tech. It's only the cable that you have to purchase. You might get lucky and find someone locally who is willing to let you borrow their cable for the mods. Check this site.
ok, thanks for the info. I will just purchase the software. No one that is in my area.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
My dealer changed my light settings so that the rear lights also act as DRLs

What dealership did you get to do that? Glasgow Audi (AKA Lomond Aud, who own Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling and Ayr), said that they can't do it due to the software they use. The service guy said he'd never even heard of a VAGCOM!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
What dealership did you get to do that? Glasgow Audi (AKA Lomond Aud, who own Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling and Ayr), said that they can't do it due to the software they use. The service guy said he'd never even heard of a VAGCOM!
If no one in Scotland has the VAGCOM might I suggest that the scotts get together and chip in for one, that way we can do the DRL mods at anytime we like up here too, as when the cars go for service they reset this and VAGCOM needs to be used again.

Sorry to kinda go it off topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.